8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 12:09 PM by Peter Spier

Selection line around parts of graphic

badassdesigner Level 1

Hi all,

I've imported a graphic into an Indesign document by copying from illustrator and pasting into indesign. The graphic shows up properly, and as far as I know exports to pdf properly, however in Indesign normal screen mode parts of the graphic show a coloured outline (the colour of the indesign layer), even though it isn't selected. If I switch to preview, bleed or slug mode the outline disappears.

Does this indicate something? Should I worry about it?

Many thanks,

K.

• 1. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is normal behavior.

View > Extras > Show/Hide Edges toggles the display of the edges of objects in Normal mode.

• 2. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
            badassdesigner Level 1

OK, thnaks. Does that mean there is something wrong with the parts of the same graphic that don't show their edges? As I said, edges only show up for parts of the graphic.

K.

• 3. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Probably not. It could be that there is a mix of vector and raster elements which would display differing edge conventions, but you'd get a more definitive answer if we could see what you see. Post a screen shot.

• 4. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
                badassdesigner Level 1

Hi John,

The graphic is entirely vector, I didn't make it - it came to me from another designer - but I think it was made by simply typing the words, converting to outline and tweaking a bit (is it the ubiquitous Zapfino?).

It seems to be just the t and a that show their edges.

I've checked and changed path directions for the errant elements and it makes no difference.

It's probably something really simple - I've only been using InDesign for a few days.

Here's a screen shot...

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 14.43.51.png

• 5. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmmm...that's interesting...and unusual. If there is an explanation, I'll be waiting for it much like you. But, to answer your question, it's not a "standard" indication that something is amiss with the graphic. As far as that goes, if it performs (displays and prints) as desired, then there is no real cuase for concern. Just curious: is there a particular reason you've elected to Paste rather than Place the logo?

• 6. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It almost looks like some points have been selected with the direct select tool. Make sure everything is un-selected (Cmd + Shift + A or click on an empty area) and see if it changes. Also does it change if you move it, or more interesting, if you press the up or down arrow key a few times....

• 7. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
                      badassdesigner Level 1

John,

I pasted the graphic because in it's original  AI EPS format it's black, and I already had the PMS colour in InDesign. I knew I could just paste it in and apply the colour in ID rather than ffaf around colouring it and resaving the AI. Also I'm a very long standing Quark user and the novely of being able to manipulate vectors directly in the page layout software is almost irresistable.

Peter,

No points are selected (Sorry - I should have zoomed in a bit more). I think the logo is made from a TrueType font so the bezier points are closer together than I'd like but not that close.

If I nudge it nothing changes; when I drag it, all the lines become selected, then when I drop it only those shown.

If I find a reason I'll let you know, but thanks to everyone for your help.

• 8. Re: Selection line around parts of graphic
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How does it look in a PDF or Printed? How about if you refresh the screen?

For what it's worth, after pasting vectors into ID docs for colorizing in one or two projects I've decided it's not an ideal workflow. If you have to do any revision at all and there's more than one instance, or want to multipurpose the graphic, it will come back to bite you.