30 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 9:28 AM by goodvoodookitty

When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

Plane Wryter Level 1

InDesign Mavens,

Can anyone shed any light regarding why Adobe has yet to include Kindle .mobi generation (export) as an integrated function in InDesign?

The release of InDesign CC further illuminates this problem...KDP's latest Kindle Plugin for Adobe InDesign (PERPETUAL BETA) v0.9.7.3 does not appear to support InDesign CC.

• Really...by now...why is it necessary for Adobe to force InDesign users to rely on a third-party, perpetually BETA plugin for so many years in order to gain access to one of the largest (if not the largest) eBook marketplaces?

WHEN WILL ADOBE integrate Kindle .mobi generation into InDesign?

Do you want .mobi export integrated into InDesign? Please indicate your request in the comments below (hopefully someone from Adobe InDesign's Product Management group will get the message).

• 1. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If Amazon can't come up with a decent export filter what makes you think

Adobe should spend the resources to come up with one? They have an epub

export. From there, you're going into proprietary formats and the owners

of those formats are going to be the ones you'll need to put pressure on.

• 2. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have to agree with Bob on this. If Amazon doesn't find it in their

financial interest to their InDesign plugin out of beta and make it

CC-ready, when they're the ones who stand to gain most, why should Adobe?

• 3. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with both Bob and Ariel. EPUB is an industry standard. Mobi format is proprietary, created by one (very strong) vendor. They have the resources to make usable plug-ins to InDesign.

• 4. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                Plane Wryter Level 1

@Bob, @Ariel, @Steve,

While I COMPLETELY AGREE that it is RIDICULOUS the Amazon Kindle family does not support EPUB...

...arguing that Adobe can/should use Amazon's failure as their excuse not equip its customers to produce MOBI is...economically interesting.

Allow me to counter-argue: IT IS IN ADOBE's financial best interest (and their fiduciary responsibility to shareowners) to enable customers to easily & readily gain access to the largest digital marketplace.

At the moment, InDesign's lack of support for MOBI is an impediment to its use. It takes hours & hours & hours of fiddling with InDesign --> export --> translation --> mobi workflows to get a KindleGen just right...SO MUCH SO that an uncountable number of prospective InDesign users...DON'T USE INDESIGN because of the flood of reports regarding the hassle of InDesign to mobi.

That means: Adobe is losing customers, revenues and incurring decreased customer satisfaction.

• This wide-spread disatisfaction could well be one of the reasons alternatives such as Scrivener (which does generate both EPUB and MOBI) are doing so well. One environment...all outputs (e.g., PDF, EPUB, MOBI).

Whether we all think Amazon is the culprit here for failing to adopt an industry standard (of sorts), or not...is not the point. The market & strategic reality is: Kindle is a dominate digital publication platform...and Adobe is failing to meet customer needs for a convenient, easy-to-use way to generate a .mobi from InDesign.

Adobe has obvious strategic, competitive, financial & fiduciary reasons to counter customer use of Kindle-friendly tools (such as Scrivener)...and foster greater InDesign adoption...by providing one-click .mobi generation from within InDesign with Adobe controlled & supported functionality.

One more strategic point: Amazon will do just fine regardless of whether Adobe provides .mobi support for InDesign, or not. If an author/publishers wishes to gain access to KDP, at the moment, they will do what it takes to find a way...typically by diverting their attention away from EPUB (further rendering InDesign irrelevant).

CONSIDER THIS (abstracted) discussion overheard at a recent [Digital Author & Publisher's] Conference:

"What to publish your pixel-perfect work on KDP? Well...don't even think about InDesign...everyone knows what a hassle it is to go from InDesign to .mobi...you're better off starting with {one of the Kindle-friendly} tools...you can always work on InDesign later."

Can't you just hear all the Adobe Shareowner's clapping with joy? Oh, wait...maybe they aren't.

• Nor are InDesign users with aspirations of KDP publishing.
                • 5. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                  Ellis home Level 4

I don't have ID CC (still on CS6), but I'm wondering if the workaround of first exporting to ePub and then open it in Kindle Previewer would work with ID CC to convert the file to mobi.

• 6. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

MOBI is a proprietary format. This is Amazon's responsibility, IMO.

That said, of you really want Adobe and the InDesign team to hear your

voice, this is the place to do it:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Be sure to make a good case for it for most users, not just yourself or

it will get very little attention.

• 7. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                      Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

This is a request that we have heard before but as InDesign has it's hands full supporting EPUB this is not on our radar, sorry.

Amazon provides KindleGen as a way to convert from a multitude of formats, including EPUB, to mobi/kf8 so in that sense they *do* support EPUB and I personally expect that market pressure will encourage them to improve this over time.

Enough customers I have talked to, in particular large publishers trying to create efficient workflows, have no interest in creating multiple ebooks exports - they want a single EPUB file and will convert that mobi/kf8 with KindleGen. They would rather we work on improving other parts of the EPUB workflow before worrying about mobi/kf8.

...but that doesn't help your particular situation.

Given that we are only going to be exporting to EPUB for a while, what could InDesign do in future CC updates to make this workflow better for you?

Should we provide an option to run KindleGen after our export? What if we offered a choice to run a script after we exported and you could do whatever you wanted?

Drop me a line at douglas.waterfall@adobe.com and offer some suggestions.

Thanks

Douglas Waterfall

InDesign Engineering

• 8. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                        Ellis home Level 4

Right now you can convert ePub to mobi using either Kindle Previewer (just opening your ePub file in Kindle Previewer) or through KindleGen (which involves entering in the command prompt screen, the KindleGen app location in your computer and the path to your ePub file). I guess it would be nice to have an option after exporting to ePub to do this automatically.

• 9. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

When Amazon gives them the code?

• 10. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                            Plane Wryter Level 1

Douglas,

Thank you for responding...gobsmacked, I am, to hear from someone with any authority within Adobe...appreciated.

Let me hasten to say, I'm sincerely interested in InDesign...and trying to find a way to get it to work...without much success.

At the moment, I'm trying to use InDesign as the key technology on two projects: one non-fiction (a Project Management book); the other a novel.

Thought you'd like to see...first hand...the kind of output that is supplied by an InDesign competitor (i.e., Scrivener)...as compared to InDesign's EPUP generated file...and the MOBI that appears on the otherside of Kindlegen (via Kindle Previewer).

As you'll find...InDesign does not compare well to a third-tier tool (Scrivener): https://www.dropbox.com/s/96g6a95vflplxst/TestR10-Wunderwaffe-Files-for-Adobe.zip

In the Dropbox --> ZIP file, you'll find:

Source InDesign files

Scrivener MOBI

InDesign EPUB

InDesign EPUB through Kindlegen to MOBI

Here's hoping I can find a way to become an InDesign Ambassador...which, at the moment, I am not.

Thank you again for replying...best regards,

Rick

+1.415.624.5865

• 11. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                              _KatakaH_ Level 1

As usual, I'm late for the party! At least I didn't show up empty handed...

Anyways, I'm confused about the responses in this post and hope to gain some insight into what seems to be a simple issue. First of all, I want to state that I am in agreement with Plane Writer, InDesign should support the .mobi format. I didn't really care for the comments about fiduciary responsibility and financial stuff however,... it made me feel sort of funny inside, like when I was 10 and I saw my 18 year old cousin undressing... I wanted to watch her, I really wanted to watch, but at the same time I didn't want to see, I really didn't want to see.

I realize it may seem like good juju to get Adobe execs thinking about this issue, but come on now, these guys have thought of everything and still chose this course of action. It's probably best that we stay out of such things, being mere mortals and all. On the other hand, Adobe's explanation for not supporting .mobi feels evasive and manipulative. It certainly doesn't sound like a decision grounded in logic (or financial considerations). It's no wonder that mere mortals are asking such questions. Plane Writer is confused about why Adobe doesn't have his back on this .mobi thing, and he's simply asking, "if you won't do this for me (your customer), then will you do it for your stock holders? Fair question I think...

So, I want to ask the same basic question only framed a bit differently.

Adobe places significant emphasis on being a product that focuses on the "single source, multiple output" paradigm. Good thing too, I can't imagine having to go back and manually update every output format I work with just to update an image or a sentence. In fact, this is one of the critical features that serious developers pay close attention to when buying their tools. This allows me to provide my client with the products they need to reach their target at a reasonable cost. I know we all know this, but I want to remind everyone this is a fundamental aspect of Adobe's product line. So, when this .mobi omission falls under scrutiny, we the customer find it difficult to accept that Adobe is refusing to provide the crucial feature of their software which likely motivated many of us to purchase it in the first place. "One source, multiple outputs, right"?

A respectful customer speaks up and says, "Hey Adobe, I can't provide the level of service that I promised to my customer! Not without jumping through a bunch of hoops only to end up with inferior results." "One of the reasons I purchased your software was so I wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing." Why am I in this predicament? Why Adobe? Why?
                              [ANSWER]: Because it is a proprietary solution that Adobe is not responsible for.        
                              I see. Does it make a difference that I need the output from this proprietary solution at least as often as I need output for ePub?
                              [ANSWER]: If Amazon feels the need to help you out, then they will. However, Adobe is under no obligation to provide support for a proprietary solution.

That doesn't sound right! Are you telling me that Adobe doesn't provide support for saving the output of proprietary solutions. Are you saying I am wrong to have the expectation that Adobe will incorporate support for a key technology like this, based on it's standing as "proprietary?" WOW!

Ok, hold on, give me 60 seconds..............

All right, I'm back. So, I just jumped onto the tech stats page of InCopy, the word processor used in conjunction with InDesign. I didn't choose it for any particular reason, it was just the first product I came across. At any rate, I checked the features and do you know what this program allows you to do? It allows you to save your InCopy and InDesign content to the proprietary Ms Word format! Who would a thunk? Speaking of thunking, now that I think about it, I kind of recall that all the Adobe programs I use (DW, FW, PS, AI, etc.) seem to offer a way to save or export my document to a format which Adobe is also not responsible for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

So I ask myself why a tiny little company like Scrivener sells a product supporting both the ePub and .mobi document reader formats, while a giant like Adobe refuses to do the same? The only logical answer is, Scrivener is focused on delivering useful software tools to their customers, while Adobe is focused on advancing the status of an industry standard (ePub). None of this would bother me except it seems that Adobe is willing to do this at the expense of their own software and their customers.

Hopefully somebody will explain why I've misread the situation and share with us the real reasons why Adobe won't live up to the promise of their software.

-Regards

• 12. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

InCopy can open a Word file. It most certainly CANNOT save one.

As already pointed out, if you want MOBI support, you'll need to talk to

Amazon.

• 13. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                  Plane Wryter Level 1

My disappointment with Adobe for failing to provide a simple, easy way to generate .mobi files is only exceeded by my disappointment.

• So...I've given up on InDesign. I quit. Not looking back...and plan to cancel my Creative Cloud subscription soon.

Instead, I have gleefully embraced Vellum...a visually sumpuous, fully-integrated (edit & authentic by-device Preview) eBook generating tool that...(to truly savor the moment...wait for it!)...generates beautiful eBooks for Kindle, Apple iBooks & Nook with 1 Click!

Vellum is free to use with a 1-time fee to generate.

• Check Vellum out at www.180g.co (not a mis-print... '.co'; not '.com')

Note: I have no equity nor interest in Vellum or 180g.

• 14. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

@Plane,

Good luck to you using Vellum.

However, your workflow doesn't match most of the people who already use InDesign, or who have to produce documents for different kind of output. I think Adobe's very strong efforts to improve EPUB output from InDesign are the way to go.

• 15. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                      _KatakaH_ Level 1

My apologies for the delayed response. Also, my apologies for the incorrect assumption about InCopy exporting to Word. I should have limited my response to things I have better knowledge of… but in my defense, I had just read this snippet in the InCopy manual and it seemed fairly clear, so I went with it:

Export InCopy documents

You can save all or part of an InCopy document in a different file format. In most cases, each component (for example, text frames and graphics) in an InCopy document is exported to a separate file. The exception is exporting an InCopy document to Adobe PDF, which copies all of the text and graphics in a document to a single PDF file.

1. Do one of the following:
                                        •        To export text, click in the text with the Type tool  .
                                        •        To export a graphic, click the graphic with the Position tool  .
                                      2. Choose File > Export.
                                      3. Specify a name and location for the exported content, and then select a format under Save As Type.

The XML format appears in the list only if XML tags have been added to the document. If you are exporting text and don’t see a listing for your word-processing application, you might need to export the text in a format that the application can import, such as Rich Text Format. If your word-processing application doesn’t support any of the InCopy export formats, use the Text Only (ASCII) format.

My assumption was, if InCopy allowed you to export to different file formats, and if it provided a listing of word processor programs, and it gave the option to export to RTF, then Word must be one of the options. Apparently I was wrong. That being said, the point I was making is still valid.

I am questioning the rationale behind Adobes decision to exclude support for the Amazon Kindle reader format. The reason stated here is, “Kindle uses a proprietary format that is not an open standard so why should Adobe spend the resources developing a solution to support it?” In response, I expressed doubt that this is the true reason because Adobe fails to take this position in other applications and I mistakenly provided an invalid example. So allow me to correct this mistake and reiterate that Adobe does not require that a technology or language be an “open standard” in order to incorporate support for the same.

These are examples of Adobe products supporting non-standard technologies (that I have personally verified from with the applications):
                                      Acrobat Pro:      Export to Word and Excel          
                                      Certainly these formats are not open standards
                                      Photoshop:        Save as PXR format                      
                                      Pixar originally created this proprietary format for use with proprietary Pixar Imaging Computers used in medical imaging applications and, of course, animation. Later it was adopted for use in Pixar’s Renderman and Marionette 3D animation programs. I didn’t research other image formats, but my guess is the majority are proprietary and not open standards.
                                      Fireworks:          Export to Lotus Domino Designer           
                                      Really? Is this what Adobe considers an open standard?
                                      Dreamweaver:  Create files of type: ASP + Java Script, ASP + VB Script, ASP.NET C#, ASP.NET VB       
                                      Obviously these are proprietary Microsoft technology solutions.

I think this demonstrates Adobe’s position on open standards fairly well, and as to the question of “Why” Adobe should support Kindle: for the same reason Adobe supports all the other, non-standard technologies. Because developers need it and Adobe is in the business of providing tools for developers.
                                      With regard to the characterization that Plane Wryter’s workflow is somehow “non-standard” is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, it might be true that the majority of Adobe’s ePub developers have no need for the Kindle tools. However, Plane Wryter and I (and every other independent developer and small ISV) cannot afford to limit our options and exclude potential clients based on (stupid) limitations imposed by our chosen development tools. We must remain flexible in order to survive. Adobe should recognize this and make an attempt to provide for our needs as well as the needs of their big enterprise customers.

Adobes position on this is a perfect example why I always look for tools created by smaller providers who have a vested interest in catering to the needs of the little guy. That’s why I chose tools from companies like
                                      Frame Technology Corp (creators of FrameMaker), eHelp/Blue Sky Software (creators of the RoboHelp product line) Aldus (providers of PageMaker, Freehand, and PhotoStyler), and Macromedia (creators of Flash, Shockwave, and Dreamweaver). I originally began to use these titles when they were competitors of Adobe, but they have since been acquired. It’s unfortunate that Adobe doesn’t see the value in continuing to provide small companies and individual developers with flexible tools. What other option does the little guy have except to look for alternatives from companies who still have an incentive to provide the tools we need?

In conclusion, I don’t buy the “not an Open Standard” excuse for excluding support for the Amazon formats. It’s an excuse of convenience and one that is not reflected by other Adobe products. The real reason Adobe isn’t providing development tools for Kindle is most likely tied to their Digital Editions reader application. I can see some Adobe Fat-Cat exec sitting at his desk on the 30th floor, with his feet up and chair leaned back, smoking a Gurkha (a very expensive cigar) of course, saying something like, “what kind of sense (puff) does it make (puff puff) to invest money and resources into (puff) a new ePub reader program, then (puuuufff) turn around and offer development tools (puff pu pu puff) for our competitors products? It doesn’t that’s what! Needles to say, we will NOT offer Kindle development tools (puff)”.

This sounds closer to the truth than that silly line about open standards. I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I have a thing about being fed a line from a uber-mega-corp that’s acquired the vast majority of it’s product line through shrewd business practices. Do I honestly think they consider my needs as a developer? Naahh, not really. I’m going to follow Plane Wryter’s lead since Adobe leaves no other option.

One last word of caution to Plane Writer, I don’t like the way Steve Werner wished you luck with Vellum… (nothing personal Mr. Werner) but it almost sounded like “Good luck with Vellum, Adobe will be acquiring them real soon… “  Call me paranoid, but history speaks for itself, doesn’t it? If it’s a good product that’s competing with Adobe, then they will want it. (can you feel the walls closing in?)          

• 16. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

@_KatakaH_

Actually I had no ulterior motive. I was just wishing Plane Writer luck in finding a workflow that worked for him.

I think you're a little too paranoid. Adobe hasn't been acquiring small companies in this area of publishing, but who am I to know?

• 17. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

@_KatakaH_

That is some fabulous imagery what with the cigar, the 30th floor and the fat cat (is that a Garfield reference?).

See my reply on Aug 4th, the answer and the reason has not changed.

Supporting mobi/kf8 as a native export remains far down my list of priorities with EPUB3 remaining right at the top.

One could make an argument that Mobi is MORE important than EPUB3...but I certainly would not agree with that at all.

If I'm lucky, Amzon will continue to move towards treating EPUB3 as a first class format and then I will not have had to do anything!

Crossing my fingers on that one.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 18. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                            MDIWade Level 1

THE big feature that I am missing from the epub export in CC is saving page breaks.

The standard for Epub is page for every chapter, but these get stripped out in the epub conversion while the kindle plugin translates them, I believe into <mbp:pagebreak>, at least that is what I have to go in and manually add to the file. This takes a lot of time I don't feel I should have to take.

The kindle plugin reduces and makes some images funky sized, regardless of original format ot optimization settings.

Take the blatent over emphasis in the first sentence witrh a grain of salt. I have been dealing with this issue for some time.

• 19. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

The handling of "breaks" has been on my mind recently and I'm interested in coming up with better solutions for our export.

Currently we map the Paragraph Attribute to the CSS Property page-break-before/after. Semantically this seems like the right thing to do - after all it is a styling decision...but not for everyone.

Of course not that many readers respect this property so while a great idea, not really a good solution given where the readers at.

We also support splitting the document (into XHTML files) which effectively results in the desired "break" behavior, but rather than being driven by CSS (and thus editable) it is driven by markup (and thus less editable).

Document splitting is controlled on the Advanced Tab of the EPUB Export Dialog -

• Do Not Split
                                              • Specify a specific Paragraph Style to split on
                                              • Split on every Paragraph Style which has its "split" flag set in the Export Tagging

Some people I've talked to would like us to map our "break"s to splitting the document and thus be independent from dependency on CSS. I expect you're in this camp.

Others want it mapped to CSS so they can get rid of it - not all "break"s in InDesign want to necessarily be exported as effectively chapter breaks. Start on Next Column, Next Frame, Next Page, Next Odd Page, Next Even Page...those might be very layout specific and once we split the document and can be a bear to get back together.

I'd like to provide a mapping choice in a future update so the designer could choose how to handle the "break" Attribute.

What would be your desire/suggestion here?

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 20. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                MDIWade Level 1

I am all for control. I would like to see a panel under the general, images, and advanced on the left, that give the user the ability to make the breaks act as they desire. I for one would rather have more options available to use if needed, and simply bypass that specific area if not needed.

The page breaks by style does work, but has caused issues when header graphics are used or more than one instance of a style on a page.

• 21. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                  mclanecreative Level 1

I suppose my confusion is that I'm creating EPUB 3 files that get submitted to KDP, approved, purchased, and no one is complaining that they aren't in .mobi.

Douglas.Waterfall

You bring up my main issue with the current version of InDesign CC. It's infuriating that I have to go in add a forced line break between every paragraph for it to work properly. That's a crazy workflow issue for me. (e.g. Send the book to the printer, now open up a six pack.. because imma have to basically redo the whole dang book, might as well do it with a buzz. Frankly, I expect better from ID.

Outside of that,  the only thing that's funky is that the TOC isn't pretty. But I've attributed that to my skill level, to date. Seems like that should be able to be more elegant, easier.

• 22. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

I've moved this discussion to the EPUB forum.

• 23. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                      BizEdLogic Level 1

I think the reason that InDesign CC users prefer to have a Kindle plugin within the application instead of its current status is that there is the additional step in the translation/conversion of files. If there is a Kindle plugin then it is native to the application. The additional conversion step adds the potential of formatting errors.  If there can be PDF conversion (albeit an Adobe product), InDesign needs to encourage Amazon to speed up the process to enhance authors using their platform. It's called synergy!

• 24. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                        photoshopisfunDOTcom Level 1

It's maddening that as a CC user I don't have a clean path to mobi from within InDesign (i.e. KindleGen doesn't work).  What a natural partnership for these two giants.  More egregious is the fact that neither appreciate the opportunity to exploit what has to be a significant revenue stream.  Turn the plugin into a SAS model for us 'fussy' publishers who like spending our time out of code and doing more productive things for our business.  I'd certainly pay for it if it worked.  as it is, I've already spent hours trying to figure out a smarter way to accomplish what should be a 1min task.  maddening!  

• 25. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

Please also post your displeasure on the Amazon forums as well if you want a "cleaner path." Amazon doesn't seem very interested in a better conversion route (they haven't updated their plug-in).

• 26. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                            photoshopisfunDOTcom Level 1

I'll do it today.  thanks for the reminder.

• 27. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                              PhiBible Level 1

I'm a small publisher, but my Book file is large with over 750 pages of text. I have ID CS4, and have used the Kindle plugin to convert my book to a Kindle ebook. It "works", but is VERY slow (32 bit), and quite buggy with frequent crashes.

When successful, however, the .mobi file works great and needs no conversion to use directly in Kindle.

I downloaded the CC 2014 trial and tried to export the same Book to epub format.

The result was garbage:

1) forced line breaks were no longer there

2) the table of contents generated by ID no longer worked, had been converted to text

So this settles it, I will not be upgrading to CC 2014 until a suitable Kindle plugin is available. It is too bad, because instead of several hours of conversion, CC converted my file in seconds. That is the kind of performance I badly need, but what good is performance if it creates garbage?

• 28. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?

If the conversion is that bad, I suspect the structure of your INDD file is not very good.

Are you assigning tags to all styles? Are you actually using styles with no overrides?

Are you writing your own CSS?

You might want to check out Anne-Marie Concepcion’s fabulous lynda.com titles on this subject.

• 29. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                                  goodvoodookitty Level 1

This response hits bulls-eye and gives many insight before we purchase InDesign for a book that will be sold on Kindle. Now I am searching for the best software that will allow me to put a book for sale on Kindle with line breaks and original full-color art.  Probably won't be InDesign, duh.

• 30. Re: When will ID Include Integrated Kindle .mobi Export?
                                                                    goodvoodookitty Level 1

I keep learning over and over that multi-billion dollar companies don't really care about netting another forty million a year, not if it means somebody way up the ladder has to admit to making a few mistakes.  They do this a LOT: create an inept and clumsy product, and knock themselves out patting themselves on the backs. And they somehow live in denial for half a decade, unable to address any serious flaws. I guess they are mentally paralyzed by irresponsibility.