7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 8:00 AM by Sandee Cohen

Adding video to an interactive pdf

mentlity Level 1

O know how to add an swf video to an interactive pdf but I have to add a video that is on You Tube. I have the embed code which uses an iframe,

Can I embed this way to an interactive doument or do I need the actual video?

??

R

• 1. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't believe that's possible. You either have to have the video in a format that InDesign support (MP4 is probably preferable) or you have to be able to stream the video from a properly configured web server or Flash-based server. But You Tube-streamed videos don't meet that requirement.

I believe there are products which can convert You Tube to MP4 although I've never had need to use them. Do a Google search on "youtube video to mp4".

• 2. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
            mentlity Level 1

Thx Steve, I got the videos. they are in .mp4 . I used the Place command, selected one of the videos and got "cannot preview the media - not connected to the internet or file os not on server"

??

• 3. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like the MP4 isn't correctly constructed. It should not have to access the internet, it should be self-contained. If the file is too small, it's trying to access an external file.

I'd also try it by opening it in another movie player first, like QuickTime.

• 4. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I can replicate these results, but what's weird is that the mp4 file can be previewed in the QuickTime player and can be converted using Adobe Media encoder. I also see and can play the preview when I use Cmd-D to select the file.

I also have access to the video upload since it is my video. I then chose the download mp4. Same results as above.

I also found the actual URL where the video is stored instead of the YouTube "watch" URL which is where you go when you actually watch the video. Used that as the source URL in InDesign, and got the same results.

Created the PDF from InDesign anyway. There is an blank space where the Video is, but when I click, nothing plays.

Got a video preview in Acrobat by placing the downloaded mp4, but it doesn't play.

All of these items where it doesn't play have error messages, but I didn't bother to capture them all.

I didn't download Premiere or ScreenFlow which have video editing capabilities. If they were on my machine, I would try using them to convert the damn file.

The preview is in there, darn it! I just can't get InDesign or Acrobat to play it.

• 5. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
                  mentlity Level 1

OK I opened the .mp4 in QT saved as an .mov and placed in the pdf, It shows up, plays back in the ID media window but when I save and view it I hear the audio but the video plays a bit choppy then stops.

What is the correct ratio for embedding a 640 x 480.mov?

It has to be the size of the file which is giving me this problem.

• 6. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
                    mentlity Level 1

OK I read an article here

http://indesignsecrets.com/picking-the-best-video-format-for-digital-publishing.php

about what choices you have to embed video in an interactive pdf its for 5.5 but I did convert my .mp4 to .264.mp4 and ID allows me to place it on a page, the movie plays back fine in the media browser but when I place and save to interactive.pdf and open in Acrobat X I see the video but it does not play, I hear the audio playing and its just when I take the cursor and move it around within the video area THAT is the ONLY TIME it plays.

Very weird. so weird that I just took a blank 1 page.indd doc and placed a small video on it and I see the same thing, anyhelp?

• 7. Re: Adding video to an interactive pdf
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Hey, remember this thread?  Well I just downloaded a video encoder/converter for the Mac called HandBrake and it converted the mp4 downloaded from YouTube into an H.264 video that can be placed into InDesign, previewed in InDesign, and viewed in an exported PDF.  It's not exactly linking to the YouTube URL, but it's something.