7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 2:58 PM by Rick Gerard

banding in Keylight

dispophoto Level 1

Hi, this is a bit off, but i've been editing a video in premiere CS6, with a linked composition in AE CS6.

one thing i've noticed is, there's quite a bit of grey banding and transparent bands through the subject that's being keyed through keylight.

the below image has the blank bar that rips through the top of the image

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 2.15.22 PM.png

and another one where you see the grey bars (there's usually several)

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 2.25.31 PM.png

i'm doing the keying in AE with keylight, using the alpha layering method, since it was the only way i could get clean keying in the body. i noticed if i twiddle the midtones level in the Levels, the banding *usually* but not always disappears. sometimes it becomes worse.

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 2.31.20 PM.png

i'm quite frustrated with it, and deadline's fast approaching. does anyone have any suggestions to solve this?

my setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro 15" late 2011 (non-RD)

2.2 core i7

16GB RAM

AMD Raedon HD 6750M 512 MB

thanks!

• 1. Re: banding in Keylight
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What's your exact version number of AE? 11.0.0? 11.0.1?

• 2. Re: banding in Keylight
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your original video is highly compressed or noisy you'll have to clamp down on the settings to remove this artifacts. If you video is from a professional camera then you don't have the settings right. In both cases you just need to adjust the setting in Keylight. Since I don't have your footage I can't give you settings that would work.

You need to work through some keylight tutorials. I'd suggest that  you type keylight in AE's search help field and look at at least the first 3 tutorials that pop up.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: banding in Keylight
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are screwing your footage by applying Levels before Keylight and using the result directly. You are compressing the avialable color range and give the effect less to work with. Don't do that. also you are working in 8bit only, which further limits your color fidelity. Switch to 16bpc. Beyond that, as the otehrs said, you will have to dig into the advanced settings of Keylight. Keying is rarely ever a one-step operation by just picking a color...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: banding in Keylight

Mylenium made a good catch. The levels control should never be used before keylight.

• 5. Re: banding in Keylight
                  dispophoto Level 1

hi all,

the version i have is 11.0.2.11

and that's a good idea about the levels position, i've been using it for a few years & apparently i've been doing it the wrong way. it's the first time i've seen this banding, though.

where exactly do you see that it's set to 8bit?

I avoid looking up video tutorials because most of the time they're never subtitled and i can't hear the voiceovers, which makes it too frustrating.

the footage was shot at 4.2.2 colour on a canon XF100 in its native .MXF format at 50bit 1080HD.

oh my god, that's unbelievable. all i did was move the levels to below keylight and the banding disappeared completely.

now i have to sort through 152 layers to fix the positioning.

baaah.

much much appreciated, all!

• 6. Re: banding in Keylight
                    dispophoto Level 1

hi again,

bad news, while it looks clean in AE, the banding still shows up in Premiere:

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 3.44.17 PM.png

Mylenium, you said that I have the settings at 8bit, where exactly can i find that setting, and how can i change it?

thanks!

• 7. Re: banding in Keylight

Bit depth is set in the project panel.

Try rendering then import the render into PPro.