2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 4:24 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Video always stuttering and rough when played back in the timeline

ADS1684221

When i import my clip that i want to edit with, the clip always seems to stutter and the frames of the video are very inconsistent. I have tried to solve this by checking my frame rate settings and composition settings but nothing seems to be working. i have a decent processor which should handle with the playback of video with no problem. I may have missed something obvious but i am quite new to after effects. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Video always stuttering and rough when played back in the timeline
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first clue to what might be wrong is that you are talking about editing a video. You don't want to edit a video in After Effects. After Effects is not made to edit video. After Effects is made to do visual effects, compositing, motion graphics, and color grading. If you want to edit a video, you should use an editing program such as Premiere Pro.

The second clue is that you said you're new to After Effects. This makes me think that you aren't aware of how to work in After Effects - it's very different from a video editing program. You're probably pressing the spacebar to preview. That is NOT how it works.

To avoid frustrations with After Effects, you can't jump into it. You MUST watch some quality training that is aimed at beginners. So don't go to YouTube, go here.

• 2. Re: Video always stuttering and rough when played back in the timeline
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please heed Michael's advice, especially the last paragraph.

As he is guessing, I am also think that you are not using RAM preview to preview your composition. You should do so. Do not press the spacebar to preview your movie in real time.