12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 5:16 AM by Nitin Gupta aka LP

DNG

sderf13

When is DNG goint to be available for   Canon EOS Rebel SL1

Thanks

• 1. Re: DNG
          Romsinha Adobe Employee

Hi Sderf,

Please find the link for DNG Convertor 7.4: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5568 . Support for following camera has been added:

Canon:

• Canon EOS 1D C
            • Canon EOS 100D (Rebel SL1 / Kiss X7)
            • Canon EOS 700D (Rebel T5i / Kiss X7i)

Regards,

Romit Sinha

• 2. Re: DNG
            Level 5

Romit Sinha,

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why anyone should download and run DNG 7.4 now.

The original poster should download and install Adobe Camera Raw 8.1.

Once a camera model has been supported by a given version of ACR, it will continue to be supported in all subsequent versions of ACR.

There are always unannounced and unheralded bug fixes and improvements in each new version of Adobe Camera Raw.   Also, new lens profiles are added all the time.

That's why one should always run the very latest, current version.

Sorry, but your advice was as poor as the bad advice we have become accustomed to hearing over the phone when we contact Customer Service or Tech Support in India. 

There, I needed to get that off my chest! 

You must be working off an obsolete or outdated cheat sheet.

• 3. Re: DNG
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How do you know that was bad advice? What if the OP isn't using a product that can use Camera Raw 7.4? What if he is using an older version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? Or, what if the OP simply wants to convert to DNG? Some people like to do that. I don't, and maybe you don't. But, there is EVERY reason for someone to convert to DNG if that is the way they want to manage their workflow. I think your answer was just a little over-the-top.

• 4. Re: DNG
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think what was meant was that the current DNGC 8.1 should have been recommended instead of the obsolete  DNGC 7.4, which seems like a reasonable criticism. 

Maybe the recommender knows of some flaw in DNGC 8.1 and is purposely recommending an older version, or perhaps the recommender doesn’t know there is a newer version.

• 5. Re: DNG
                  Level 5

JimHess wrote:

How do you know that was bad advice?

Because it was!  As a mater of fact that's inexcusably coming from an Adobe staffer.  Downright shameful.

JimHess wrote:

…What if he is using an older version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? Or, what if the OP simply wants to convert to DNG?

All that is irrelevant.  The Adobe staffer directed the user to an utterly obsolete version of the free, stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter. That is in no way tied to any version of Photoshop or Elements.

• 6. Re: DNG
                    Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

…Maybe the recommender knows of some flaw in DNGC 8.1 …

There's no way anyone can convince me to have any sympathy for the off-shore Adobe customer service operation, or the equally clueless installer and updater teams, which happen to be in the same place…

It's well known that Adobe has the worst customer service on this planet.  It's not like I'm revealing state secrets.

• 7. Re: DNG
                      Level 5

OK, Jim, I see the problem now. 

I just realized that I typed only Adobe Camera Raw 8.1 when I was thinking of the Adobe DNG Converter 8.1, which is released in tandem with Adobe Camera Raw 8.1.

My bad.  My apologies to you.

But my criticism of the Adobe staffer is valid and stands:  the Adobe poster should have recommended the free, stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter 8.1.

• 8. Re: DNG
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, while the recommender’s name seems to be Indian and uses a polite tone, it does not say Staff or Employee next to the name that I see, and I’m not on here enough to recognize the name as being that of someone who works for Adobe. 

Secondly, as you’ve now finally realized, you said the OP should install Adobe Camera Raw 8.1 not the DNG Converter 8.1, which made it sound like you knew that the OP was using either PS-CS6 or PS-CC which is the only one ACR 8.1 works with, and Jim jumped on you for that apparent assumption.  I think you made a typo in the heat of the moment and meant to type DNGC 8.1 but this is not what your message says, so Jim’s reading of what you said isn’t unreasonable

Thirdly, the message I read says recommends DNGC  7.4  with a DNGC 7.4 link, not 7.1 as you seem to indicate, and 7.4 is the first version of ACR that supports the SL1, so it appears to me that the recommender only lapsed by one version, not four, and perhaps only made the mistake of not saying “at least” when recommending the DNGC 7.4.  Unfortunately I don’t have the original recommenders message in my e-mail so he or she may have corrected it by the time I’m reading it online.

• 9. Re: DNG
                          Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

First, while the recommender’s name seems to be Indian and uses a polite tone, it does not say Staff or Employee next to the name that I see, and I’m not on here enough to recognize the name as being that of someone who works for Adobe… 

Huh?  

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 12.28.20 AM.png

You mean to tell me that email broadcasts from forum posts don't show "the badge"? 

I always access the forum through its web interface.

• 10. Re: DNG
                            Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

…the message I read says recommends DNGC  7.4  with a DNGC 7.4 link, not 7.1 as you seem to indicate,

Yes, I saw that after I cleaned my computer glasses. 

I edited my post accordingly, I think…

Users who use email to access the forum don't get to see the edits, no matter how quickly or slowly they're made.

• 11. Re: DNG
                              Level 5

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 12.40.15 AM.png

• 12. Re: DNG
                                Nitin Gupta aka LP Adobe Employee

@sderf: I suggest you to use 8.1 DNG converter which the latest and should suffice all your needs.
                                Download link: https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/camera-raw-8-1-and-dng-converter-8-1-now- available.html

Stationtwo: You are correct in saying that 7.4 is not the latest, However, what Romit said could also do the job. We understand that not everyone can be an expert, hence we was not aware of 8.1 being the latest version.

@ssprengel : Thanks for your support and understanding.

Regards,

Nitin

P.S: Thread has solved its purpose, The user marked it as correct.