10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 12:46 AM by tikigod19_2000

question about the dynamics effect

tikigod19_2000

Hi all, I have alot of editing to do at the moment and I generally run into the same "I wish it wouldnt do that" or "I wish there was a faster way to do this" issues every time while editing in CS5. I just wondered if you experts could advise on a way around these problems (even if the answer is to pay to upgrade, I'm ok with that)

Question 1 concerns the dynamics effect.

I apply this to multi track edits of wedding speeches, tick the limiter and set the threshold to -2dB and boost the gain by whatever is necessary to get nice loud audio while still hoping that it will stop the audio peaking above -2dB. It tends to work well except until somebody really shouts. The limiter light on the dynamics effect flashes red to suggest it's doing its job but from that point on all of the audio is quieter, as if the effect has reduced the sound of the entire clip from that point onwards because of the shouting. The only way I overcome this is to cut the effect after the shout and then click the 2nd half of the clip (that would be quieter than I'd like if I did nothing) and then cut and paste the dynamics effect back onto that part of the clip. The audio is then much louder as it was before the shout but it gets frustrating having to do this all the time. Am I using the wrong effect?

Question 2 is about the constant volume audio transition.

I apply this quite regularly when I cut a section of video out to prevent a jump in the audio. Is there an easy way to apply it to multiple joins in an audio track as I sometimes have to add it 50 times on a single timeline and I currently apply them one by one. Is there also a way to reduce the default size of this transition so it doesn't span over such a large area on the timeline after I drag and drop it onto my audio tracks?

Question 3 is about the RGB curves effect.

This is what I currently use to do basic color correction on my clips but is there any kind of effect that will batch correct lots of different looking clips to end up with the same looking result? Like an auto white balance type result?

That's it! I'd love to get your thoughts on the above!

• 1. Re: question about the dynamics effect
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

Question 1: Not necessarily. If you apply the effect before making a cut, the both sections should retain the effect. Is that not happening? I may be misunderstanding your workflow a little.

Question 2: No in CS5. Yes in CC (7.0 or higher) -- there was a new feature in that release which is a shortcut to apply a transition to all selected clips.

Question 3: You could create a preset for any given effect (including curves) and apply it to other clips. In CS6 or higher you can use adjustment layers to apply one effect to many clips at once.

• 2. Re: question about the dynamics effect
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
            Question 3: You could create a preset for any given effect (including curves)

Methinks hethinks he was rather talking about something like RE:Vision RE:Match plug-in or new SpeedGrade CC Shot Matcher feature:

• 3. Re: question about the dynamics effect
              tikigod19_2000 Level 1

Fuzzy Barsik, thanks for the 2 videos.

Video 1 (RE:MATCH) looks perfect, however it appears you have to choose a video track to match everything else to as opposed to one particular clip. Have you tried this plugin? Do you know if I moved my 'perfect' clip to a track all on its own and then applied RE:MATCH to all other clips and set them to match that one track it would work? Even if the perfect clip is say 5 seconds long and the timeline as a whole is 10 minutes?

Video 2 (SpeedGrade shot matcher) is this SpeedGrade accessible from the main Adobe CC program or do the clips need to be run through this external program?

• 4. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                tikigod19_2000 Level 1

thanks jstrawn.

Question 1: Yes I apply the effect before I make the cut. I only cut as a way of preventing the issue (my biggest issue out of all 3 of my questions) happening. Well, not preventing, but rather correcting after it has happened. Funnily enough I think if I applied the dynamic effect to say an hour long clip and exported it, I think it would do it's job and keep levels below -2dB or whatever I set. It's only when I listen to it whilst editing and it hits one of these significant audio peaks (someone shouts for example) that the volume from that point onwards is radically reduced. REALLY annoying!

Question 2: Ok thanks. Not worth upgrading for me based on this alone but if I can solve my other problems through CC I may go for it.

Question 3: The issue was more as Fuzzy highlighted, I want to match all clips to one source clip without having to go through them one by one. I currently just copy and paste an RGB curves effect and fine tune it based on each clip. What I'm after is a plugin/program to do the fine tuning for me, as RE:MATCH seems to do

• 5. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                  Video 1 (RE:MATCH) looks perfect, however it appears you have to choose a video track to match everything else to as opposed to one particular clip. Have you tried this plugin? Do you know if I moved my 'perfect' clip to a track all on its own and then applied RE:MATCH to all other clips and set them to match that one track it would work? Even if the perfect clip is say 5 seconds long and the timeline as a whole is 10 minutes?

Revise the tutorial once again: the reference frame can even be a still image.

Video 2 (SpeedGrade shot matcher) is this SpeedGrade accessible from the main Adobe CC program or do the clips need to be run through this external program?

SpeedGrade is a separate application. However, in CC you can save a look in SpeedGrade and then apply it via Lumetri effect. See this tutorial on PrPro <-> SpeedGrade workflow:

• 6. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                    jstrawn Adobe Employee

Question 3: The issue was more as Fuzzy highlighted, I want to match all clips to one source clip without having to go through them one by one. I currently just copy and paste an RGB curves effect and fine tune it based on each clip. What I'm after is a plugin/program to do the fine tuning for me, as RE:MATCH seems to do

Fuzzy was right. I misunderstood your original question. The SpeedGrade Shot Matcher is probably your best bet, but that would also require upgrade to CC. Otherwise, the Match plugin for  PrPro (featured in that Creative Cow video) should also work.

• 7. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                      tikigod19_2000 Level 1

thanks guys, i think I have options for the colour correction issue but question 1 about the dynamics effect is still my biggest hurdle at the moment..

Any ideas on that one?

• 8. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You asked if you were using the wrong effect. I believe you are using the wrong program.

Adobe Audition can do this a lot easier and a lot better.

• 9. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                          jstrawn Adobe Employee

Steven Gotz wrote:

You asked if you were using the wrong effect. I believe you are using the wrong program.

Adobe Audition can do this a lot easier and a lot better.

+1. Just like SpeedGrade is optimized for color correction, so Audition is optimized to repair, enhance and edit audio. We try to enable people to work end to end in PrPro if needed, but the other suite products deliver a lot more specialized functionality for each part of a given workflow. Prelude and After Effects are also a big part of many professional workflows too.

• 10. Re: question about the dynamics effect
                            tikigod19_2000 Level 1

that makes sense guys, thanks. I suppose as the audio files are seperate wavs to start with it's no big effort to run them through audition first and level them out. I have never used audition before though, I assume it'll be relatively straight forward as a premiere user? Do you know the effect I'm after? Is it some kind of compressor?