4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 9:52 PM by shooternz

How Can I remove a dust spot in Premiere?

alexdejesus Level 1

I have a 40 minute HDV clip with a noticeable spot. After Effects has a simple wire removal tool which works pretty well, but was wondering if there was something similar in Premiere CS6 or CC. I would use AE but I don't understand the round trip process. And I don't think I want to re-compress the clip more often than necessary.

• 1. Re: How Can I remove a dust spot in Premiere?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

AE is the right tool for the job.  It would probably be simpler to process the file there and export out a DI for editing.  CC now includes the DNxHD codec in the MXF wrapper, which is very good quality and plays nice for editing.

• 2. Re: How Can I remove a dust spot in Premiere?
            cscooper2013 Level 2

The After Effect round-trip process couldn't be simpler (unless, of course, it's broken).  Right-click your clip on the timeline and choose "Replace with After Effects composition".  AE will open and ask you to name your AE file.  I usually save it in a folder called AE within my Project folder.  Once you've named your AE file, your original footage will open within After Effects.  I would recommend the Clone Stamp, but do what you will to the footage, then save it.  Jump back to Premiere to instantly see your changes.  When you're satisfied, just close AE.

If I really wanted to stay within Premiere, I might play around with the Crop tool.  Duplicate and offset your layer's position (under Motion), using the Crop tool as if it were a Clone Stamp.  This will likely work best if your camera doesn't move and the area under the blemish doesn't move much either.  Crop now has feather, so you can get some pretty good results this way, depending on the task and footage at hand.

• 3. Re: How Can I remove a dust spot in Premiere?
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

cscooper2013 wrote:

Crop now has feather

So they finally put it in the version I don't plan on upgrading to...

• 4. Re: How Can I remove a dust spot in Premiere?
                shooternz Level 6

So they finally put it in the version I don't plan on upgrading to...

Aint that just always the way.