13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 4:34 PM by robboerman

Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED

blushingcrows

Hi, I'm a graphic designer, really not up to speed in the web world. I made myself an idiosyncratic little website using edge animate, learning from the built it lessons (I would appreciate any feedback concerning as I'm stumbling around here, if anyone can be bothered )

I wanted to add an email link to the end of it, also, some kind of 'skip to the end' feature that appears from the beginning, and eventually a link to a portfolio site. But I can't get ANY actions to work.

However, when I make a new file, I can do all these things. I can draw a rectangle, and make it clickable so that it jumps to the end, or opens an external site. It does this as expected, when I 'preview in browser'. But my main animation that I've spent hours mucking around with, does nothing. Mouse clicks do absolutely nothing...

So, I'm baffled, and any help would be appreciated greatly.

Here's my site, its a simple html thing with the edge animation embedded. I'd never offer these services for a client, but I thought I might be able to cobble something together for myself. As I said, any feedback would be welcome, as I'm stumbling around a bit. Ok a lot.

www.antenna.net.nz

thank you!

Simon Gregory

• 1. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
          robboerman Level 4

the actions aren't working because there is an error in the stage code/or trigger code ( the click arrow code )

and the edge animation might load faster if you don't use svg for the text. because svg is not supported for most internet explorer browsers and it takes st least 5 seconds to load for the first time.

it might be better to use just the edge animate text. that will increase the speed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
            blushingcrows Level 1

OK, thanks, as I'm such a noob at this, I'll have to search around for what I can do about that.

Just to clarify, I have no clickable stuff live on my website, I have just tried to do it within the Animate file and failed. So, you can tell by looking at the site that there's something wrong with the code? That would prevent me from adding an action?

Re the svg, yes i've noticed it takes a while to load. Being an old-school graphic designer though, I have trouble with the concept of not being able to have the text look exactly how I want. Not in all cases everywhere, but in a case like this. Maybe if I advance a little I can learn how to use something from Google fonts.

thanks

• 3. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
              blushingcrows Level 1

Hmm, I spotted a little red X symbol which on further examination says I have mismatched braces, unexpected end of file. So I searched for that, and there seems to be an issue with things going on the worng line sometimes in the code. I don't know enough to fix it, but it says its on line 29, which is the last line. I've copied the code in here of lines 25 thru 29, maybe someone can spot the error here, and maybe this is my issue?

})("Symbol_1");

//Edge symbol end:'Symbol_1'

})(jQuery, AdobeEdge, "EDGE-20179367");

• 4. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                Zaxist Level 4

you should do copy paste all lines then we can help you to fix the error

Zaxist

• 5. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                  robboerman Level 4

or just upload project andd let us fix the code manually

• 6. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                    blushingcrows Level 1

Thanks!

I'll past the code below, but actually it think this eror relates to a symbol I created when I was trying to get an email link working, and I forgot to delete it. Though it didn't work, I'm not sure it has much to do with WHY I couldn't get actions to work in the first place, as nothing else I tried, very simple things like a link to an external webpage worked either. Yet they did when I attempted it with a new animate project. Not sure.

the whole project is here as a zipped file.

http://www.antenna.net.nz/animatebafflement/published.zip

and here is that code as mentioned. And thanks for your help!

(function($,Edge,compId){var Composition=Edge.Composition,Symbol=Edge.Symbol;

//Edge symbol: 'stage'

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "${_arrow}", "click", function(sym, e) {

// insert code for mouse click here

sym.stop();

(function(symbolName){     

})("stage");

//Edge symbol end:'stage'

//=========================================================

//Edge symbol: 'Symbol_1'

(function(symbolName) {  

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "${_email}", "click", function(sym, e) {

// insert code for mouse click here

var emailer = window.open("mailto:simon@antenna.net.nz?subject=Are you my designer?");// sym.$("name") resolves an Edge Animate element name to a DOM

});

//Edge binding end

})("Symbol_1");

//Edge symbol end:'Symbol_1'

})(jQuery, AdobeEdge, "EDGE-20179367");

• 7. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                      SEIF BH

i see your project but  i can't understand your problem sir

• 8. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                        blushingcrows Level 1

I'm no 'sir'! but thanks :-)

My problem is mentioned in my first post, I can't get any actions to work in my file. If I try to create some, like a clickable external link for example, they don't work. If I make a new test file from scratch I have no problem, but nothing seems to work in my file. Someone suggested I post the whole thing to check...

• 9. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                          SEIF BH Level 2

you mean you haven't the .An in your file ?

• 10. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                            blushingcrows Level 1

Hmm, there seems to be some confusion here. Although, what you said has made me think, I didn't include the .an file in the sample I uploaded. Which was an oversight. I've just fixed that and uploaded a new one to the same location.

What I'm saying is... I'm working on my .an file, in Animate. I have finished my main animation sequence, and I want to add some actions. I draw a rectangle, make it clickable, and make it point to a url (for example the default, adobe.com). Then I 'preview in browser'. Nothing happens, not a thing. I also tried this with making a click advance to a further point in the animation. Doesn't work. Nothing.

However... when I make a new, blank .an file, and do exactly the same thing as above, I preview in browser and it works fine, it opens the adobe site, or it advances to a point further down the timeline. It all works.

It just doesn't work in my file. And I have no idea why. I don't seem to be doing it wrong, as it works fine on the new file.

So I'm baffled as to why it's not working with the file I have spent quite of lot of time creating... There must be something in that file that's stopping it from working...

Thanks for your interest, does that explain the situation?

• 11. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                              robboerman Level 4

https://app.box.com/s/d9zqdxnvgpluyhgtf9va

fixed it for you.

and i put the right code on the mailto email.

what was wrong was, that there where hidden codes that had errors in it.

those codes can be viewed by ctrl + e in edge animate

- Rob

btw, put this as correct anwser if its fixed

• 12. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                                blushingcrows Level 1

Thanks for that!

I had a few issues (had to download a trial version of animate CC to open your file). I tried to edit my code so it matched yours but I must have missed something as it still didn't work. But once I copy & pasted your entire code into mine, it worked.

Ultimiately, I'd like to know why. Is that something you can explain? For instance what I needed to delete or fix or move in my original code?

Some things I noticed, your email.click action was associated with the 'stage', mine was with a 'symbol' (I made the rectangular shape into a symbol in some random experimental attempt to get things to work btw). Was that part of the problem.

My code had 'var emailer' in it, which I must have got from somewhere, but yours didn't.

It would helpful to know what the issue was, I don't know if you can explain that to me with my limited knowledge but anything would be helpful. Or pointiing me somewhere I could gain some understanding of this stuff.

Thanks again,

Simon

• 13. Re: Why can't I get actions to work? BAFFLED
                                  robboerman Level 4

i simplified your project a bit, so i could get myself a better overview of your project.

it wasen't part of the problem. and you can make it into a symbol again if you want.

i alwase like to keep the codes as small and straightforward as possible.

i'm from orgins a graphic designer, that learned myself how to code html5 css3 php jqeury and javascript. so i'm almost a fulltime coder now. but i really hate that ways of other coders to make things as complex as possible, even though there isn't even a reason for it.

(like the github registation requirces you do do coding, even do itt would be alot easyer with just a button.) the reason is that they want to keep noncoders out of there community, but i think that code should be for everyone.