OK, to check further I just borrowed a book from the library. It downloaded, but the same error message came up on ADE. So it is an Adobe issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
One possibility ...
Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.
Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.
A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.
This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).
Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.
In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people. Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0
To save all your books, goto to your ADE directory
(probably in something like Documents\My Digital Editions or C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\My Digital Editions)
and copy all the .epub files (and .pdf files if you are unlucky enough to have any) to a backup device.
If you copy the entire directory it will remember things like your last reading place in books, and notes you have made).
Thank you so much. I will try this later today and report back.
OK, I backed up the files. Then I erased my authorization. When I tried to reactivate it, I get this message: "digital editions could not connect to the activation server. Please make sure you are connected to the internet." As you can see, I am connected.
Sorry that didn't help ~~ try my next stock suggestion ...
There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0. Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.
(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)
Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.
The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above. There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'. The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172
- One bug in ADE2.0 is that it doesn't recognize some devices.
- One is that it refuses to work with library books with some devices (including most Sony readers)
- One is that it gets registration/authorization confused ... my first suggestion tried to resolve that one.
So, I uninstalled my 2.0 and installed 1.7.2. There are a couple interesting kinks. I had to use Explorer as Firefox gave error messages when I tried to use it. I used a new authorization, one that I installed on another computer yesterday. It has only one book listed, an old expired library book.
So I thought I'd see what happens if I uninstalled the 1.7.2 and downloaded 2.0. It downloaded just fine and asked if I wanted to migrate my bookshelves from an older edition. So I did.
The interesting thing is that it is using the new authorization I put in with the first download this morning.
So I think all is well.
The 2.0 works fine for library books for me by the way.
Thanks for all the help. I may have to come back yet.
I think Adobe needs a new slogan --- Reading a book has never been so complicated.
Yes, my DH is getting the wrong idea of ebook reading with this crazyness. I love my Kobo, but there are times!