16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 8:14 AM by PierreLouisBeranek

Impressions of Pr CC Version

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I'm still agonising over whether to upgrade or not from Pr CS6 (I run the CS6 Master Collection) to the CC. I must say I'm not very happy at all about the terms of the Cloud version because I am forced to contually pay the monthly subscription if I want to maintain access to the tools.

That said I need to make a decision based on the technical characteristics, the most important of which is can I still capture from tape? I mentioned that I am concerned if I cancel at a later date I cannot access the tools but is CC backwards compatible with CS6?

Lastly, can I take a quick straw poll on whether the you guys that have used it for a short while feel the CC version provides the real jump forward talked about by Adobe, such as the new timeline and deep colo(u)r engine (or is it just window dressing)?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Graham

• 1. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I like the new CC version.  CS6 had some great advancements over CS5, but it also had what I consider some backwards steps for us combo editors (keyboard/mouse), and editing had become something of a chore.  I feel Adobe has made sufficient advancement to the behavior and feature set of Premiere Pro to where editing has become fun again.  The program has largely stopped getting in my way and allowed me to just create, in a more efficient way than I ever could before.

It's not perfect.  There are still a few bugs and there will probably always be more room for improvement.  But compared to CS6...man I'd hate to go back to that on a daily basis.

At the very least, get the free 30 day trial.  That way you'll know what your own impressions are for the way you work, and those are always more reliable than the impressions of others.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
            tclark513 Level 3

I mentioned that I am concerned if I cancel at a later date I cannot access the tools but is CC backwards compatible with CS6?

Premiere Pro CC is NOT backwards compatible.  Once you move forward you are paying rent for something you won't be able to access once you quit.

• 3. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
              glaustin Level 1

Thanks for your comments, Jim. Coming from you that adds a lot of weight to helping me make my decision (but I still have the issue nagging at me from tclark as Adobe don't really appreciate mico-SME cash flows in all this...)

Regards,

Graham

• 4. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                Jim_Simon Level 8

If cash flow is a concern, you can pay for the year in advance using a retailer.  That would give you a full year to come up with the funds for next year, so if some months are lean you won't get stuck.

• 5. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                  glaustin Level 1

Thanks, Jim.

I can access the deal for CS6 owners running until 31 August, so I'll probably go down that road for the first year. I just get irritated big companies think everyone in business turnsover at least a million (when in fact a lot of small businesses don't turnover the CEO's annual expense account) and can't conceptualize a regular £46 pcm impacts on small businesses cash flows.

That said the technical/ creative demands (especially after your feedback) mean I'll probably upgrade v. soon.

Regards,

Graham

• 6. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Is it really that much?  I mean, I know a lot of people who pay more for a single phone every month than the CC subscription costs, and a lot of businesses have more than one phone, so that can easily get up into the hundreds monthly.  And my electric bill is more than double the subscription cost.  My monthly Internet bill is about the same as the subscription.  All of those are normal monthly expenses for any business that no one seems to be complaining about (although I think $80 or more for a phone plan is ridiculous, myself).

How does the subscription compare to those other bills overseas?

• 7. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                      glaustin Level 1

Hi Jim

Agreed; OK, it's not going to put us into the UK equivalent of Chapter 11, but £46 ($67) every month for ever and ever and ever is a budget issue for us as we're still developing our business, which we started at the same time the global recession hit (not being paranoid, but...)

All things being relative, it's not an economic disaster but, I don't know why, it just feels uncomfortable. I suppose it's the principle of customer choice. Before CC, we kept our money in our bank until we decided we wanted to buy an upgrade when it suited our finances. Now, we have to pay Adobe every month for something we won't even own at the end... I don't think it would have been such an issue if the plan allowed continued access to the software version that existed at last payment if ever we wanted to stop paying (effectively the same with a disc),

That said it's a question of opinions and individual budgeting priorities; some like paying this way and some don't (but looks like we'll have to learn to love it...)

• 8. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                        tclark513 Level 3

Now, we have to pay Adobe every month for something we won't even own at the end... I don't think it would have been such an issue if the plan allowed continued access to the software version that existed at last payment if ever we wanted to stop paying (effectively the same with a disc),

Exactly the issue!  I did hear Adobe was sending surveys around asking if people would be interested in "buying out" versions at some point.  If they did that there wouldn't be a problem.

• 9. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

it just feels uncomfortable.

I think that hits it more than anything.  The overall idea of paying a bill every month to do your job is not new, it's not even new for software.  I've been paying Stamps.com every month for years so I don't have to go to the post office three times a week.

It's just a new idea for this software, and new ideas can sometimes set people back.  But my view is, it's just one of several bills I have to pay every month, and not even the most expensive bill.  With that attitude comes the ability to happily create using some excellent new tools which will get updated more frequently than ever.  PP has already had one feature update in just the first month after release.  After Effects should see some new features before Christmas.  That's never happened with the old release model.

So...a shift of attitude is all that's required, I think, and you'll be on your way to enjoying some great new features and abilities that others will never know.

• 10. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                            Jim Curtis Level 3

Premiere Pro CC is NOT backwards compatible.  Once you move forward you are paying rent for something you won't be able to access once you quit.

Unless you export an XML version of all your projects before you send them to the archive.  That should allow you to at least open your projects in prior versions and other NLEs, albeit while losing some of the version-specific features along the way.

And if there was a demand for such, I'm sure some genius could manage to write a CC to CS6 translator.  This has been done in the past by Philip Hodgetts and Wes Plate for various other products and versions.

My impressions of CC are favorable.  Pr finally has many basic features that were sorely missing from all prior versions (dupe detection, match frame healing and indicators, timeline track mute and solo, etc.). 

External monitoring, which is now stable, has an offset setting. 

It still has a way to go, such as with saving audio FX presets and GUI glitches, and a Save As CS6 option.  But, I think it's a big jump over CS6.

• 11. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                              glaustin Level 1

Thanks Jim

Good point about XML. I think from your feedback and the Jim Simon's comments, the creative/ technical argument has been made for me and I've downloaded the CC trial with a view to [grudgingly] joining the monthly plan...

• 12. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                                jasonvp Level 3

glaustin wrote:

...and I've downloaded the CC trial with a view to [grudgingly] joining the monthly plan...

I was a minorly-vocal opponent to the rental thing (and still am), but decided I didn't want to keep fighting with them.  With an eye to long-term money savings, I picked up Pr and Photoshop, versus the entire suite since A)I don't need the entire suite, and B)it'll save me money year over year to pay for 2 individuals vs the entire thing.  At first glance it seems foolish to pay for 2 apps vs the whole suite, but the math works out a bit more favorably in the longer term if one doesn't need the other apps.

Another thing that helped me make the decision: I looked at my work flow and realized I don't ever go back to old projects.  Seriously.  I never do.  I finish editing my vids, export to MPEG4, and I'm done with that one.  I can easily recreate the work I did within 10 minutes of editing, so if I lose the MPEG4 for some reason, I can easily recreate it.  That also offers me the flexibility to back-rev to CS6 (when they fix the AVCHD bug) should I decide to stop renting.

As Linus from the Linux world would say, "Come to the Dark Side.  We have cookies."

• 13. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                                  Jim Curtis Level 3

IINM, there's still a 30-day trial version available, and if you do sign up for a year, you can cancel before 30 days, and void the annual contract.

CC and CS6, 5, etc. can co-exist on the same comptuter.

Another thing is to put in a "feature request" for a permanent license.  Adobe does listen to their customers, and if the groundswell is large enough, it might get their attention.

• 14. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I would have to say that not all video editors should upgrade. If CS6 works for you, stick with it. However, if you use Premiere Pro and After Effects together, and throw in a little Photoshop now and then, the additional features and bug fixes start to become an overwhelmingly convincing argument.

I didn't have a really good reason to upgrade to Premiere Pro CC other than the color engine and the Paste Attributes feature, but of course since I had subscribed to the Creative Cloud to get CS6 it was a no brainer. There is one new feature in Photoshop that makes it worth the upgrade almost all by itself (Camera RAW as a filter). Lightroom 5 is a major upgrade. Since I used Muse to help redesign my web site instead of Dreamweaver, and it is only available via the Cloud, that helped make the decision too.

i would have to say that it is a very personal issue for editors who are short on money, or for the International users who get shafted but good when it comes to paying over twice what people are paying in the US. I mean really, £46 is just one heck of a lot of money in comparison to what the same software costs here in the US. Absolutely crazy money. As of this morning, £46 is over twice the going rate for first year subscribers who have earlier versions, or for the educational versions which are even less expensive.

You have to decide if the features are necessary or just nice to have. You have to decide if you need to go back to old projects, or, like Jason and I, you never get around to going back, and are always going forward. That isn't an option for many people.

What I pay Adobe is a drop in the bucket compared to my cable TV/Internet/Phone/Cell phone bills. Not even 10%. I don't even notice it. I used to spend more money on tapes for my HDV camera.  But I do know that not everyone has a day job to support their video/photography expenses and to some people, every penny has to be justified through their business income. I get that. I am just glad that it doesn't apply to me. For those to whom it does matter, you have some serious decisions to make. While we can tout the cool new features, only you can tell which ones make a difference to you. Maybe none of them do and you should just stick with CS6.

• 15. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                                      glaustin Level 1

Thanks, Jim. I do go back to old projects as I have various idents and intros for different customers that I produce in Pr & AE. I think the creative/ technical need are there but Steven sums it up well on decision taking (especially for us on the otherside of the pond that pay through the nose...

• 16. Re: Impressions of Pr CC Version
                                        PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

To answer your question glaustin, PP CC is two steps forward, one step back.  There are a lot of little tweaks that make editing easier, such as the fact that Nests finally bring up a naming window when created.  But then there are several backwards moves that Adobe did, such as royally mess up our workflow for adding default transitions (We now have to remember to deselect any selected clips every time we want to add a default transition to clips under the CTI!  Talk about workflow PITA!)  Then there's the fact that I've had to accept PP's licencing terms about 6 times over the past 2 weeks.  Doesn't the cloud system keep track of this so users don't have to keep accepting the licencing terms 3 times a week?!

For me, those problems alone are so agravating that if Adobe doesn't fix them, I'm quitting my CC subscription for a refund.  New features should make our editing work easier, not harder.  Adobe doesn't seem to understand this.  Until they do, I think I'll stick with CS6.