• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 doesn't recognize my Sony PRS-600

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a couple discussions of Sony PRS-600's not showing in older versions of Digital Editions (like here), and solutions to this problem using Sony's own software for authenticating. I'm using Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.67275 on a Mac, but even though I've installed Sony's Reader for Mac and succesfully authorized my device, my PRS-600 still doesn't show up in Adobe Digital Editions. If ADE is the one option you have for reading DRM-protected e-books, it looks like I'm dead out of luck here. Also, the PRS-600 isn't even listed here anymore; I'm sure it did for previous versions of ADE.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PRS-350 showed up in ADE2.0 in Windows (once Sony Reader and the driver were installed);

and would work for boutght DRM books.

... but ADE2.0 would not handle library books correctly with the Sony plugged in.

I use ADE1.7.2 instead.

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0.  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

If you really want to use ADE2.0 and the Sony won't show up,

you can use ADE2.0 to download the .acsm file and get the DRM .epub file,

and then use Finder (or other file manager) to copy the .epub books from the Mac to the Sony.

As long as the Sony is authorized with the same ID as ADE, your should be able to read the books on it.

If the Sony isn't even showing up as a mapped drive, then there is something wrong at a lower level.

Usually, you don't even need the Sony software for it to show up as a mapped drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! I did install ADE 1.7.2, and even the previous version of Sony's own library software for maybe driver updates (of which there were none), but no luck at all: in ADE 1.7.2 my device doesn't show up either. What's more, I have a PRS-300 lying around, and that also doesn't show up in either ADE 1.7.2 or 2.0.

Tested in on two different Macs now, both with the same unfortunate results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking, are the devices showing up as mounted drives in Finder (or however you find a mounted drive on the Mac)?

On Windows, they will show up as mounted drives even if the SOny driver software is not installed.

If they do not show up that way, the problem is probably more at the hardware level, bad USB cable, bad port, ...???

(bad port seems unlikely on two Macs, and bad device seems unlikely with two devices)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do; I can drag/drop files directly on the device using Finder. They also show up in Sony's own Reader-software without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most odd, I can't think of much else to try.  Maybe the Sony Reader embeds the necessary DRM driver code on the Mac inside Sony Reader, rather than installing a generic driver and working via that?  But if that was the case, I would have expected more people with problems like yours.

I suppose it could be a rights issue on the Mac, and you need to be some kind of administrator for the driver to install or run properly ...???

I guess you'll just have to use Sony Reader, or use ADE for getting the files and then copy them using Finder.  Good luck ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines