5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 8:34 AM by the_wine_snob

sound problems

Stephen Cheshire

I imported a video from my computer, watched it on adobe all the way through with sound and now the sound stops half way through

• 1. Re: sound problems
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What are  your Premiere Elements project settings (listed under the Edit menu)?

Did you wait for the video file to completely conform before  you started editing it? It sounds as though you only let the audio partially conform.

Clear the file from your project, re-import it and wait until it is fully, conformed, as indicated by the message along the bottom fo the program.

• 2. Re: sound problems
            Stephen Cheshire Level 1

Hi Steve

I am a TOTAL beginner. I am using Premiere Elements 11, our camcorder is a Sony HD Handycam HDR-XR550 12.0 Mega Pixels.

The file that I imported is a single 2 hr long interview with my Dad. There are no breaks during the videoing. I clicked on ‘add media’ selected the folder and the video that I wanted, clicked ‘open’ and the video appeared on the ‘quick’ screen. I have done no editing at all, but like I said in the original question, I did watch it through. Having said that, every once in a while the sound would stop, I would pause the video, wait for a bit, hit play and then everything was good.

Ok so I have deleted the original project and re-imported the file, and the sound stops in the same place as before. I see no messages at the bottom of the program indicating whether or not it is conformed.

Thanks for your help! REALLY!

Wilma

[Personal information removed - Hunt]

• 3. Re: sound problems
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Wilma

Thank you for the additional information in response to SG's questions. Please continue to respond to them moving forward, but....

I have some questions that I would like to add to get a handle on how to help you resolve the issue that you present.

1. You say that you have Premiere Elements 11 (is that running on a Windows or Mac computer, 32 or 64 bit)?

2. When you started your project, did you or the program set the project preset for the project? If you did nothing but move forward into editing, then please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and report what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

a. Please let us know...when you drag your video to the Expert view Timeline, do you see an orange line directly above the Timeline. Or, is there no colored line there. (I am not referring to the orange line that runs horizonally across the middle of the clip on the Timeline).

b. If you see an orange line, press the Render button above the Timeline or press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or click on Timeline Menu/Render Work Area. If and after you do that, is the issue resolved?

3. I did some homework on your camera. What mode are you using for shooting: FX or FH OR HQ or LP? From what I have read, your file comes with AVCHD video compression and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel. In addition, according to the camera documentation, you are shooting 1920 x 1080 @ 30 interlaced frames per second if you are using the FX or FH camera mode.The bottom line with that train of thought is, if have the camera set for FX or FH, the project preset should be (assuming a PAL location):

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD Full HD1080i30 5.1 channel

Is that what you or the program set?

Please review all of the above, SG's and my questions, and then we can decide what next.

There are other avenues to explore, including the computer optimization, video and audio card driver updates, and so on. But good idea to get the above factors ruled in or out.

If you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask. I will rewrite my questions and comments if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: sound problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven & Wilma,

Welcome to the forum.

While Steve G. and ATR are working on your issue, I noticed that it appears that your second Reply was probably sent from either your smartphone, or via an e-mail client through a POP server, and your full personal information was added in a signature.

As the Adobe Forums are open, and anyone can view them, I urge you to not include such personal info. Also, there are spam'bots, crawling all over the Internet, including the Adobe Forums, so POP addresses get harvested for the purpose of filling your InBox with spam.

If ATR has not Replied to that post, you can edit out that personal info. If his Reply was to that post, then Steve G., or I will need to help you remove that information. I will do so, hopefully with your full permission, and urge you to monitor the posting of that signature, to protect your privacy.

If Replying from a smartphone, or via a POP account, you might not even see that signature, with the info, as it gets automatically appended to your post.

If you have any problem with my removal of the info, please click on my Profile, and on the upper-right, choose Send Private Message, to contact me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: sound problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the questions that Steve G. and ATR have asked, I have two more please:

When you say that in PrE, you played the Video and it had sound all the way through, did you "play" that Video from the Timeline, or perhaps from the Source Monitor? The reason that I ask this question is that if one plays from the Source Monitor (looks a lot like the Program Monitor for Timeline playback), or from the viewer in Organizer, those access the actual Video file from the HDD, and NOT from the version, set up for editing, on the Timeline. Steve G. asked about the Conforming of the Audio, which is necessary for the Audio portion of you file, to be edited and playbed from the Timeline. PrE needs the full CFA file for this, and a common cause of Audio being truncated is a failure of PrE to fully Conform the Audio portion. See this article for more details: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177 This might not be the case here, but it needs to be ruled out. While it is the most common cause for just what you describe, it is not the only one.

Next, what are the specs. of your computer, and especially the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) setup? The reason that I ask this question is that to effectively play an AV file, one should have at least a 7200 RPM HDD, where the original AV file, and the CFA (Conformed Audio) file are located. With a 5200 RPM HDD, the playback can lag to the point that it will stop totally, or partially (say just the Audio).

Good luck, and sorry for all of the questions, but I think that the others are beginning to zero in the problem.

Hunt