3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 11:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Not enough video footage for transitions?

dpolkat3 Level 1

In CS6, sometimes when I try to put a transition between two clips (especially a crossfade) I get a message saying there is not enough footage for the transition without some freeze frames, or something to that effect, even though there is at least 30 seconds to each clip before and after the transition, and the transition is only 3 seconds long. I don't fully understand why I can't do this?          Any ideas?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Not enough video footage for transitions?
          GraphiteGal636 Level 1

Although your original clips are long enough, there is something Premiere uses called Handles which are applied to the head and tail of a clip. 

Handles are applied by Premiere when you set In or Out points during editing.  There is a small triangle that appears on the clip which indicates whether there are sufficient handles to apply transitions, if not you will get the error that you mention. If your Clip has a tiny triangle at the Head, and/or Tail, that means that it has zero Frames as Handles. Reset the In & Out Points to get the Handles.

Look up Handles in the help documentation and it should help clarify things.

• 2. Re: Not enough video footage for transitions?
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

In days of old, in order to place a transition between two clips, the ends of the clips had to overlap one another (V1 and V2, with Transition track sandwiched between the two) . The amount of overlap determined the duration of the transition. As Premiere now uses single-track editing, you still need "overlap", but you can't "see it" like you used to.

To break it down - if you want a 30-frame dissolve between two clips, you can't simply butt them together in their original state, because their is no overlapping material! You need to trim 15 frames from the END of the first clip, and 15 frames from the BEGINNING of the second clip, then butt them together, then you have the required 30 frames of "overlap" needed to complete the transition.

Hope this makes more sense the way I explained it. So when you get that error message, trim some more from the ends of the clips where you want to put the transition.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 3. Re: Not enough video footage for transitions?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with GraphiteGal, and for more info on Handles, see this Article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3727485#3727485

Jeff also has a good explanation of days in the A-B Roll editing.

Good luck,

Hunt