20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 2:07 PM by martinpat1

Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac

martinpat1 Level 1

Hello all

Projects that used to burn successfully to blu-ray are now giving me either Transcoding Error or Device Error.

The only change from before is that I've "tidied up" the storage of the project and media files, e.g. renamed folders, moved them around etc. but the projects still load correctly and preview without problem, so I don't see why these errors are occurring.

Thanks for any advice.

Martin

• 1. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

martinpat1

I find it highly unusual that you have projects whose source media have been moved/renamed after the save close of the projects and yet you are able to open them as well as not see media offline colorful displays in the opened project instead of your media. Are you working from the archived version of the project? So, let us explore that.

But, on the matter of the transcoding error or device error.

a. What is the Space Required and Bitrate of the Quality Area of the burn to Blu-ray dialog and do you have a check mark next to "Fit Contents To Available Space". Please check out my blog post related to this to see if it applies to you.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

b. Do you have a disc menu for this burn to? If so, what does the spacing look like for the Timeline markers? Are you attempting to include stop markers on the Timeline?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
            martinpat1 Level 1

Hi ATR

The individual cips that make up the timeline haven't been renamed, rather I've restructured the folders. PE10 simply asks "Where is the file....?" and once I've indicated where this initial file is, everything else loads perfectly fine. The timeline is exactly as it always one (including menu markers), and I'm using the same settings as previously with the same disks, which is why it's so odd. The project will easily fit onto one blu-ray disk.

Thanks

Martin

• 3. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Martin,

Yes, but what is the Space Required and do you have a check mark next to "Fit Contents To Available Space"? Here I am not implying that you do not have enough space on the Blu-ray disc for the burn to, rather I am referring to the error that I have seen in the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray associated with the use of "Fit Contents to Available Space" as described in that blog post. Just a factor to be ruled in or out.

In spite of everything being the same, have you expanded the Timeline and looked for leftovers presenting often as slivers (very thin vertical black lines scattered among the track contents)? Any gaps?

On another front, after you work through the media offline messages and tell the program where its source media now are, does that saved closed project thereafter not open without those messages (assuming that you have not done any more moving around of source media after the project's save close)?

Are you using  BD-R or BD-RE discs, 25 GB or 50 GB?

And, am I understanding correctly that what you are dealing with now are not new projects with the same characteristics as previous projects, but rather saved closed projects that have been reopened for further burn to blu-ray? If so, how long ago did you get a successful burn to blu-ray with these particular projects? And, not to take anything for granted, were these projects created in Premiere Elements 10 and burned to blu-ray previously in Premiere Elements 10 all on the same Mac computer?

Thanks for the additional information.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                martinpat1 Level 1

I've tried various projects and haven't checked to "fit contents". The most recent project I've been attempting to burn is one of just 6 GB. Just now, as an experiment, I cut out most of the content to leave just one clip, checked to "fit contents" (which increased the file size) and burned successfully to a BD-R disk (25 GB), which suggests something is wrong elsewhere, but I can't see any problems with the timeline.

I'm working from saved .prel files that I've reopened. Once I close the project and re-open it, it asks for the location of the files as before. I last successfully burned blu-rays about a year ago with the same software on the same machine.

I haven't any more time today to investigate (I've already spent 3 days playing around with this!) but I shall have another look tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts!

Martin

• 5. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

martinpat1

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the news was not better.

I would like to clear up a point just to make sure to get it out of the way.

Given you have all these projects that previously saved/closed after successful burn to blu-ray. You did your computer clean up. When you reopen anyone of these projects, you run into missing media (media offline) issues that you address with the Missing Media dialog "Where is....?" to correct the situation. After you save close out of the "media corrected" project and then reopen it, are you definitely still running into the same missing media (media offline) messages for that same project?

If you are, then there is definitely something wrong.

Open one of these projects which you say you have reconnected to its source media. And, when the "Where is...?" dialogs, present click Skip All to get into the Premiere Elements workspace. How many of those colorful Media Offline representations do you run into in

Timeline tracks

Project Media (both the List and Icon views)

Depending on how many you find missing and if you know exactly where there files are, try right clicking the thumbnail of each in Project Media and select Replace Footage for the reconnect.

How many of the original project files appear to be missing from the project?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                    martinpat1 Level 1

Hi there,

There has been progress of sorts! Firstly, I shall explain, in full, the history of the projects.

As I mentioned, a year ago I successfully created the blu-rays. As a back-up, I saved the .prel files to an external hard-drive, together with all the media, so everything required to re-burn the blu-rays was in two locations.

Last week, after doing the clean-up, I opened the .prel files on the external hard-drive, and after addressing the missing media issue, everything loaded fine and the project was complete. However, there was a jpeg file in the media which was not needed in the timeline and so I deleted this from the media, re-saved the project and replaced the old .prel file in both locations with this new file. I opened the .prel file from both locations, and it loaded fine. Before deleting the jpeg file I didn't try to burn the project, and so I don't know if the same problem would have occurred had I not deleted the file, but as the project loaded correctly I didn't think this would be an issue. I did this same process with a couple of other projects. I think I misled you about the recurring missing media messages - this seems to be ok.

As I mentioned, upon trying to burn any of these projects, I encountered either the "transcoding error" or "device error" at various points during either the encoding or burning stage, and it seemed quite random. Out of the blue I managed to burn successfully one of the projects from the .prel file stored locally, i.e. not on the external hard drive, and I got to wondering whether the .prel files stored externally could be the problem (but I don't see why if the projects load fine). Overnight, to my surprise, I successfully burned a complete project from a .prel file stored locally and with the "fit contents" checked. This morning, I attempted to burn the same project but from the .prel file stored externally (and with "fit contents"), and at 30% into the encoding, the "transcoding error" appeared, which seemed to confirm my suspicions about .prel files stored externally, although I'm not convinced.

To test whether the problem is to do with the jpg file I deleted, I have taken the unedited .prel file from my Time Machine and copied this across to the Mac desktop, and I am currently attempting to burn from this (with "fit contents"). As I type, it's at 53% in the encoding process. If this is successful, then I will attempt the same for my other projects.

So...the problem seems to be either a .prel files not stored locally, resaving the .prel file with a change having been made (albeit one that doesn't affect the timeline/project), checking "fit contents", or a combination of all three! However, I've tried so many different things with different projects in different locations, I'm not sure about anything anymore!

I think I will attempt to archive projects in future, particularly since in the past I have had terrible problems with creating main and scenes menus (i.e. dragging an image to the menu template doesn't create a full screen menu - there are bars either side, and using motion thumbnails on scenes menus creates poor quality - i.e. standard definition - menu pages) so I have had to edit the .psd files used in the menus - that's another story documented elsewhere on this forum and with Adobe themselves who admit to the problem.

It wouldn't be such a hassle if my projects weren't as big as they are, but when it takes around 7-8 hours to encode a project, and the error occurs towards the end, it starts to get infuriating! Not to mention the ruined disks...

Martin

• 7. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Martin

Thanks for the details and update.

Sounding like progress.

Some considerations include:

a. Definitely go with the Premiere Elements Project Archiver (Archive or Copy option) for future project storage under these circumstances.

b. Look to see if the drive letter of the external hard drive has changed or is changing? Also, how is that external hard drive formatted - NTFS or FAT32? If FAT32, reformat it to NTFS. What is the capacity of this external hard drive and how much free hard drive space is there? In this same context, where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

c. Try to categorize the burn to erroring as to where it is happening and the frequency at that specific point (and associated message or warning triangles)

Encoding Menus

Encoding Media

Compiing

Burn

d. Taking the external drive out of the equation, I would not suspect that removal of the jpg from the project's Timeline content would create the problem unless in doing so you unknowingly moved some other Timeline component. But, assuming everything else stayed in place with that removal and you saved the project, I would not suspect the jpg removal in the burn to issue.

But, the answers are and will be in the details so let us see what they tell us.

Looking forward to your latest troubleshooting results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                        martinpat1 Level 1

Hi again

Thanks for your comments. I can report that my latest attempt was successful, but creating an archive (both sorts) were not: "unknown error..." occurs at around 60%. This is not new - I remember the same thing happening last year when I attempted it; I just didn't bother pursuing it. Incidentally, with the successfully burned projects, the warning triangle did appear when I got to the Sharing stage (but not before).

The 500 GB external drive is indeed FAT32, currently with around 188 GB free. The scratch disks are set to "Same as Project" except for the media cache, which is "Custom", i.e. ...Application Support/Adobe/Common.

Martin

• 9. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the connection type to that external HDD?

Also, with FAT32, one is limited to a max file size of ~ 4GB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

martinpat1

Thanks for the update and progress.

Windows person here with Mac question.

Please check out the following online article on formatting of external hard drive for Windows or Mac. The Windows solution FAT32 to NTFS is just that, a Windows solution. Check out the article to see if it gives you better insights into what to do, if anything, with the reformatting of your FAT32 formatted external hard drive.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                              martinpat1 Level 1

Hello all, again

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'm pretty sure that the problem wasn't the fact my drive was FAT32 formatted, as (a) none of the individual AVCHD files is greater than 4 GB, and (b) I've had some more success burning blu-rays using these files. I still can't archive one of my projects though, but I'm giving up on this!

Another problem I've encountered is a strange one  (and not for the first time, either). I've created a project where I've imported an MP4 file. Within the timeline I split this one clip into 2 clips and applied effects (e.g. rotated a portrait clip into landscape) to each clip. For various reasons I decided to cut these 2 new clips from the project/timeline and create, outside of Elements, 2 clips from the one clip, and import each separately. The creating of the 2 clips and re-importing them back in PE10 was no problem, but - and it sounds odd - it seems that PE has "remembered" things about the editing I did in PE10 originally and is not playing back the newer versions, e.g. the clips are being displayed in landscape, not portrait, and the in/out-points aren't quite correct. I know the newly created clips are correct as they open and play perfectly well in other applications. I've tried renaming the files, logging out, etc. but nothing helps.

Any suggestions?!

Martin

• 12. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Martin,

Was the Rotation done in PrE, and then Exported/Shared from PrE, before being re-Imported, or was that Rotation done elsewhere? If the former, what were the Export/Share settings, format and CODEC?

If the latter, which program was used to apply the Rotation?

Also, check the file names, that were re-Imported, just to make sure that you Imported the edited ones, and not the original, un-Rotated ones.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                  martinpat1 Level 1

Yes, the rotation was done in PE, and then the files were cut from the project, so I didn't actually do anything with the project, as I then decided to edit the original files elsewhere (using a program called Streamclip) and re-import. As with my other post, to do with the audio dropping out, I have just exported these problem files back to mp4 and re-imported, and hey presto, no problems - orientation correct & correct length of clip.

• 14. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Martin,

Thank you for that information. How, exactly, did you get those files from PrE, and into MPEGStreamClip? Was this with an Export/Share/Publish+Share, or some other method?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Martin

Just saw your thread's latest problem discussion and had some ideas.

But, first confirm whether one project was involved in all that was described or whether "e" involved a new (second) project:

a. original import of the mp4

b. splitting of the .mp4 with portrait to landscape orientation for each part

c. deletion of portrait to landscape two files

d. editing of the whole file outside the project

e. import of the "outside of the project" edited file back into Premiere Elements.

At any time in your Premiere Elements workflow did you use its Replace Footage feature?

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                        martinpat1 Level 1

I didn't export the files from out of PE into Streamclip; rather, I took the original media files stored elsewhere (which work perfectly well outside of PE) and edited them in Streamclip. I then re-imported them in PE.

In general, I use PE to import videos files onto my Mac, store these in a designated folder and then re-import then in PE when I wish to begin working on them.

• 17. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                          martinpat1 Level 1

Yes, that's pretty much the procedure I followed. I have tried to Replace Footage but to no avail. I can think of a couple of occasions previously where audio has suddenly dropped out (after being there!), and I have successfully used the Replace Footage feature, along with a bit of file renaming, to recticify the situation. There's a lot of randomness to it all!

• 18. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                            martinpat1 Level 1

I attempt part (e) with the original and a new project.

• 19. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Martin,

A few more questions:

Please confirm the orientation of the image in the thumbnail of the original .mp4 file at its computer hard drive location?

When you were in the original project where you had your portrait oriented .mp4 and split it in two and rotated each to a landscape orientation, what was the orientation of the .mp4 if you dragged it again from Project Media to the Timeline next to the portrait to landscape rotated files already there? Was this latest addition to the Timeline portrait or landscape oriented?

To be continued...

ATR

• 20. Re: Transcoding/device error PE10 Mac
                                                martinpat1 Level 1

The thumbnails of the original mp4 files are correctly orientated (i.e. portrait). Even now, if I create a new project and import these files, the files in Project Media and Timeline are landscape!