3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 1:22 PM by marusiznu

Correct workflow when inserting images into text, InDesign CS4

marusiznu

Hi,

I am new to InDesign and I have a problem regarding a really basic thing and I would be very grateful for help.

I am writing an article which is about 10 pages long. It consists mostly of text. I have finished writing and now I want to add some illustrations with descriptions. I've already figured out it's best to insert images into the text frame so they behave as "anchored objects" and they move together with text when I add or delete something on previous pages. Now I would like to place TWO OR MORE images, one next to each other, in a line. This is a bit tricky but I created an object style with Position: Custom in "Anchored object options" and it works more or less fine. This works great but now it would be hard to add descriptions to these images that would still be anchored.

So I created something different. I made an empty rectangle frame, a small text frame under it and grouped them. Then I placed it in my master text frame and basically did the same thing as for previously described images. Now I place the newly loaded image in the empty rectangular frame and add text in the empty text frame. BUT now I have problems with frame size for different-size images.

What if I have a REALLY LONG article and want to add LOTS of images with decriptions that would be anchored in the text so I can edit previous pages? I can do this my way, but it's extremely uncomfortable and takes ages. Is there any comfortable, non-destructive workflow for doing such things?

Sorry for my English.

• 1. Re: Correct workflow when inserting images into text, InDesign CS4
          Jump_Over Level 5

marusiznu wrote:

...BUT now I have problems with frame size for different-size images...

You can resize anchored frame, so problem is about text overflow?

First apply "text overflow" property to whole group before placing it into parent frame.

Second play a little with anchored custom position options setting your ObjectStyle. I am pretty sure you will find X/Y relations and options proper to your goal.

Basically you are on good way, from my point of view...

Jarek

• 2. Re: Correct workflow when inserting images into text, InDesign CS4
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Hi,

I would recommend following steps:

1. Place one or more images
            2. Don't anchor them yet.
            3. Arange them (the images) relatively to each other, add a text frame and arrange them correct relatively to the images.
            4. Group images and text
            5. Copy (or cut) them into the clippboard
            6. Set the curser into the text where it should flow
            7. Paste it
            8. Adjust the anchored object (the group)

You need to group several objects to anchor them together as one anchor.

Further recommendation:

• For the images I would specify an object style for fitting, stroke, corner optione.
            • For text frames I would specify an object style for text object options, like text offset, and used paragraph style, no boarder, etc.
            • For the group I would spcify an object style which leaves above mentioned settings undefined (option field is grea or has a dash). But the anchored position of the whole group and text wrapping should be specified.

Willi Adelberger

• 3. Re: Correct workflow when inserting images into text, InDesign CS4
              marusiznu Level 1

Grouping the whole set of images is pretty clever. Thanks!