6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 6:37 PM by station_two

Laptop to use for Adobe Suite

scott.gbdl

Hello,

I am looking for a latop that would be a good option to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator on. The price range is under $1000 CAD, prefferably $700-$800 CAD. Any help would be greatly appreacited.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Laptop to use for Adobe Suite
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I have just bought an MSI GT70 ONE which is an out and out gaming laptop, but economy of scale gets you an incredible spec for you dollars.  This was outside the budget you mention, but try eBay.  It provides a nice search tool by letting you put in your search parameters like screen size, and keywords like i7 or i5.  If you list by price, you can see what's available at your price point, and do some research from there.  One of the things I found with my research is that the gaming GPUs like GTX680, are so powerful, they actually out perform the dedicated CAD GPUs like the Quadros.  I found direct head to head tests which shoed the GTX680 to be a clear winner for Photoshop.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Netbooks-/175672/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=laptops

• 2. Re: Laptop to use for Adobe Suite
            Level 5

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I have just bought an MSI GT70 ONE…

Looks very impressive.  Were you able to get it with Windows 7 ?

• 3. Re: Laptop to use for Adobe Suite
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Like Trevor, I just upgraded my laptop, to an ADK, which is designed to run Adobe programs (especially Ps, PrPro and AE), but they are a bit pricey. Still, you might be able to get what you want, for much less $ (US in my case), than the monster that I bought. Eric or Scott can help you, and both know Adobe programs: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/laptop.asp

Note: ADK insists on Win 7 as the OS for PC's still, though that might be subject to change.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Laptop to use for Adobe Suite
                Level 5

Bill Hunt wrote:

…ADK insists on Win 7 as the OS for PC's still…

Good for them!

• 5. Re: Laptop to use for Adobe Suite
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

No I could only get it with Windows 8, which is a bit of a pain, but I have Lynda.com's Win8 Essentials which is doing its best to demystify the OS for me.  I looked very hard at ADK laptops, but the prices and distance put me off.  My laptop will spend most of its life sat in a cupboard, so some degree of compromise was called for.

You can learn a lot about what makes a good laptop fpr Adobe apps by looking at the ADK specs, although they are optimised for Premiere Pro.  Note that they off both high end nVidia GTX### cards as well as Quadro.  You have to add some of the options to get a decent NLE system, which puts the price up.  The GT70 ONE I have got came as standard with two 128Gb SSD drives in a raid0, plus a 750Gb 7k4 rpm HDD.  They claim >800Mb/s continuous read/write speeds for the raid0.  The current GT70 comes with _three_ SSDs in a raid0, claiming >1100Mb/s  It was the raid0 that sold me on the MSI knowing that my desktop wouldn't run Prempro properly until I added a couple of raid0 arrays.

I saved >NZ$1000 going with the older spec, but it reviews very close to the newer systems, and will run what I need it for with a margin that I hope will make viable for several years.  At the moment it is fighting me while I instal the CC apps, and I have already had to start again with Photoshop because I messed it up while it was downloading.  Oh for a decent internet connection!

• 6. Re: Laptop to use for Adobe Suite
                    Level 5

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

…My laptop will spend most of its life sat in a cupboard…

Just like my cheapo Toshiba Windows laptop…

…even my MacBook Air and the Mac book get very little use.