18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 9:39 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?

mmlcarpenter

I would like to be able to run the video in the background and be able to reply to a quick chat, email, or otherwise multitask while it plays. Right now the second I click out of the window, it stops playing.

Please tell me this is a feature I can switch off? It's debilitating to not be able to multitask.

Help?

• 1. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mmlcarpenter

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running, including 32 or 64 bit.

I think this question came up here not so long ago, and you are correct the Premiere Elements playback stops when you minimize, switch, or close the window.

At any rate, that is what I have observed, 64 bit, 8 GB RAM installed, et al.

You seem to want to "play" Adobe Premiere Eleements Timeline in the Edit Mode Monitor while you do something else. The purpose of playback is to preview the rendered Timeline content. So what is to be gained doing something else while your previewing is not being viewed by you who is doing something else?

It is monitor playback that you are talking about and not actually exporting to file or burn to?

Please explain how you see this as "debilitating to not be able to multitask" in view of the situation that I present.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, the PrE program needs to have focus for playback.

Some users have found a few "shell" programs, that will allow them to get around that limitation, but I do not have any recs. for which ones to look into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I think it important to point out that Premiere Elements is not unique with regard to this playback - multitasking matter. It would appear that there are more programs which behave the same as Premiere Elements in this regard than do not.

But what is the advantage of playing back something that you are not watching?

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct in this.

Adobe's Premiere Pro, After Effects and Encore's Preview all behave in the same way.

When I have had to have playback continue, say when I need to also be editing narration in a program, other than Audition (which allows one to Import both Audio & Video, to edit Audio), I just Export/Share a quick "intermediate" file, Open that in VLC Player, or similar, and have it playing in an area of my screen, outside of the area of the editing program.

I do agree that when multi-tasking, I do not want playback to continue, as my attention is being diverted. Also, when editing, I have usually turned OFF my anti-virus and anti-malware programs, so do not want an Internet presence, or do e-mails.

Still, there are users, who have requested full playback, when Premiere (both versions) do not have focus, so there are people, who feel that this is important.

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Any specific idea why?

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe states that it because of the way that their programs interface with the video driver - and need complete control over it.

Now, as of PrPro CC, there is a setting, that can allow some editing to be on-going when other programs are running, but I do not know if that setting overcomes the inability of PrPro to playback, when other programs get focus.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for the Adobe side of the why no. I was looking for the why yes for those that you feel think this is an important and must have feature.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I wish that I could recall the shell programs that worked for others. They basically clone the Desktop (Windows only?), so that one could have PrE running from one Desktop, but then another program running from the other. Seems that info was in the old PrPro Forum (now PrPro CS 4 and Earlier), but I could not locate any info there. It could also be that it was so far back, about the time of the move to Jive, when all old posts disappeared?

Maybe others would know how to workaround the operation of Premiere?

Hunt

• 9. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

You may be missing the intent of my question. You had added a few posts back that you knew of users who thought this playback mutti tasking was important to them. Why was it so important to them? Did any of them give a specific instance where it was a must have feature?

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I must have missed the question.

Many wanted to have Premiere playback, but then be able to work in iTunes (one common request, though if iTunes is launched first, then Premiere can do the playback just fine), though I cannot imagine having the Audio from Premiere and iTunes playing at the same time.

Others want to start playback, and in boring parts, do e-mails, surf the Web, or other. Again, I cannot imagine doing that, but it's just me. If I had "boring parts," I would want to cut those out.

Others are just impatient, and want to do a half-dozen things at the same time, even if they do none very well. Again, not my thing.

Hunt

• 11. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                              mmlcarpenter Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks for your interest and help.

Right now it would be extremely helpful to be able to play the video while doing other things because I'm working on editing a very long series of interviews. A lot of the footage is getting the camera set up, testing the mic, talking about the interview process, going over the question, starting the interview, repeating the questions, doing re-take after retake of questions, and then eventually someone says something good/helpful. It doesn't take my full attention to know when to say, "okay, the finished the set up. Cut. Delete the first part. Continue." or "well, that part was crap. cut. delete. continue." or "that was great. I want to shave off the fluff here, and turn this into something worth using."

Once I'm actually working on the video, I could see how the focus feature would be helpufl. I just wish there was a way for me to turn it off for when I'm taking my first couple passes through the footage and cutting it down to what's worth putting devoted effort/focus into.

Working at a small company, it's hard to justify sitting and watching the broing part of interviews while there is a long list of other things I need to be doing, and I could just as easily listen to (and cut out) the boring part of interviews while simultaneously doing other things.

Does that make senese?

Even if you all don't agree with my methods (which seems to be the consensus), are there any recommendations for a work-around?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mmicarpenter

Thanks for the insights into your point of view on this matter. The extent of my multitasking it running a burn to disc while I am writing or creating a blog post and troubleshooting a thread here or doing online searches for that thread. So, no problem for me in doing this. And, this has not been negatively impacting the burn to time.

The following is an assortment of Premiere Elements miscellaneous which probably do not go to the core of your plan, but I offer them for a just in case day.

Placing of unnumbered markers as need (also lets you leave notes to yourself at those unnumbered marker. And, then using the "next or previous" options of the markers to move around).

There are the shortcut choice of Home key to get to the beginning of the Timeline and End key to get the end of the last content on the Timeline. You can skip from clip to clip Page Down (for lett to right) and Page Up (for right to left).

Just clicking the Work Area Bar, commands the Timeline Indicator to the spot the you click on (if the Timeline Indicator is out of sight).

None of that allows for Premiere Elements not demanding your full attention at playback of its Timeline, but it might make finding certain Timeline locations quicker.

You know best what works for you. Success with your projects.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                  mmlcarpenter Level 1

Thank you, ATR. You're right, despite the info not quite solving my problem, it DOES certainly help me on my project. Thank you for taking the time to write these tips/suggestions, I really appreicate it!

• 14. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                    PandaSt

Just came across this thread when investigating the same problem, and had a thought that best thing might simply be to set up on two computers (laptop/desktop etc): one for playing back video & editing when necessary, and the other for answering emails, etc. Hence, no interference from other programs with Adobe.

Hope your project's going well!

• 15. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                      TeekVideos Level 1

I understand this is an old thread, but A.T. Romano's question really needs an answer.

"But what is the advantage of playing back something that you are not watching?"

"I was looking for the why yes for those that you feel think this is an important and must have feature."

"Why was it so important to them? Did any of them give a specific instance where it was a must have feature?"

Now, there are a multitude of reasons why this is a feature that, as near as I can tell, people have been asking for since Adobe dropped it. There are any number of situations where one might be playing something, but not want to direct their full attention to it. Right now I'm using it to pull quotes from audio files because of how easy it is to go back to extremely specific points, but that doesn't mean I need to direct 100% of my attention to two hours worth of recordings.

Ultimately though, the only answer that matters is, "It's none of your business." (You can include the expletive of your preference for emphasis.)

It's none of your business what anybody else is doing with Permiere.

It's none of your business why they want what they want

And it's not your place to tell people how they should be using the program.

The fact is that multiple people, for several years now, have been annoyed with this problem enough to say "What the heck? Why is this not an option?"

They deserve a better reason than, "Well we assumed you just wouldn't want to multitask on your computer. So we won't let you."

And if that wasn't patronizing enough, the fact that Adobe's official "solution" to this problem is to buy a cheap laptop is beyond insulting.

• 16. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

TeekVideos

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. And, the frequency of appearance for Adobe Staff in this forum is infrequent to undefined (except maybe to answer some new version question after a new version release). You wrote

".....the fact that Adobe's official "solution" to this problem is to buy a cheap laptop is beyond insulting."

Since you posted that as fact, I do not feel it inappropriate to ask you where you came by that Adobe official solution.

Have you gotten involved with the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form and that is the feedback you received?

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&loc=en

I have not seen before that Adobe official solution that you mention. I have read PandaSt's suggestion to do something like that (post 14 of this thread). But, I

have no information to suggest that PandaSt is affiliated with Adobe. Do you know otherwise?

I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way nor do I have any insider information on the products. I visit the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum to share information in troubleshooting Premiere Elements issues or, if possible, to find a workaround based on the information supplied by the person seeking help. Each of my questions is directed to that goal in order to assist those posting for help. My comments/suggestions are based on what has worked for me or from what I have read, and I try to make the distinction between the two.

I get the message - you want to multitask and be able to maintain Premiere Elements Timeline playback. Unfortunately I do not see a way for you to do that in Premiere Element (any version). Although I get the message, will Adobe? And, in this thread as your vehicle? The answer is probably unlikely since Premiere Elements 13 just released is no different than prior versions in this regard.

ATR

• 17. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                          TeekVideos Level 1

How do I keep Video playing In Backround?

"One of the assumptions that we make is that people doing professional work will not be doing much with their video editing system other than video editing. Most people doing professional work are using their dedicated video editing workstation for Premiere Pro and have a cheap laptop next to them for such things as browsers, iTunes, and email." - Todd Kopriva, Adobe After Effects Production Manager.

• 18. Re: How do I play Adobe Premiere Elements in the background?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

TeekVideos

Thank you very much for that very enlightening information. It really enhances this thread.

ATR