12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 12:32 PM by nw42

GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC

Jim_Simon Level 8

Do you have it when exporting via Adobe Media Encoder?

I don't seem to.  I ran some tests several weeks back which clearly showed that GPU acceleration was not working when exporting through AME, but worked fine when doing a direct Export.  I ran the following test again today.

10 minutes of 1080p/24 AVCHD

ProcAmp, Gaussian Blur, Three-way Color Corrector (All accelerated, 32 bit, YUV effects.)

Export to H.264 Blu-ray, default settings. (No MRQ, no previews.)

Here's what I got.

AME GPU Off - 14:03

AME GPU On - 14:10

Direct - 6:12

As before, it's pretty clear that hardware acceleration is not working through AME.  In fact, it routinely takes just a tiny bit longer with GPU acceleration on.

The first time around I ran a duplicate test with CS6, and it very clearly showed that GPU acceleration was working via AME.

So...what are your results?

• 1. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I ran the following test and got the same results.

"20 minute AVCHD video with a second 20 minute AVCHD video PiP'd inside.  The second is scaled down by 50%, horizontally flipped (accelerated), and cropped 33% from the bottom (accelerated).  The entire video is then scaled down to 720p on export to h.264 MP4."

Going through AME it took about 28 minutes with or without hardware acceleration.  Going direct it took only 12 minutes.

Tested three times on two computers.  GPU acceleration is not being utilized when exporting through AME with the new CC versions.

My cards are not on the officially supported list.  I wonder if things are different when the card is on that list.

• 2. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
            jasonvp Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

Going through AME it took about 28 minutes with or without hardware acceleration.  Going direct it took only 12 minutes.

Single or double-pass?  Looks like a double; mine were all single.

I re-did my same test with a direct export, and it did it in 00:09:27.  That's right in line with the hardware-enabled AME export.  Still about 4 minutes faster than with the software-only AME export.  So again, in summary, my AVCHD export to 720p h.264 MP4:

AME GPU Off - 00:13:19

AME GPU On - 00:09:17

Direct - 00:09:27

My cards are not on the officially supported list.  I wonder if things are different when the card is on that list.

Possibly.  I'm using an over-clocked 2.5GB GTX570 on a Mac, which isn't one of the supported cards on that platform.

• 3. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
              Jim_Simon Level 8

All single pass.

Did you redo the AME exports, or just the Direct?

• 4. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                jasonvp Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

All single pass.

Did you redo the AME exports, or just the Direct?

Just the direct, but using the same (saved) project with the same media, etc.  I made no edits, cuts, or anything.  Just called up the project, exported, and waited.

• 5. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I suspect operator/observer error on the first go round.  Mind trying again through AME?

• 6. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                    jasonvp Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

I suspect operator/observer error on the first go round.  Mind trying again through AME?

Uh, I can, but I'm not sure what you're hoping for.  The times I reported were right from the text file log that AME keeps, and they were all done last night, just at different times.

07/31/2013 04:47:46 PM : Queue Resumed

- Source File: /Volumes/Opt/Users/jvp/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/fatt-10122012-cc.prproj

- Output File: /Volumes/Opt/Users/jvp/Desktop/front.mp4

- Preset Used: Custom

- Video: 1280x720 (1.0), 29.97 fps, Progressive

- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 5.00 Mbps, Max 5.00 Mbps

- Encoding Time: 00:13:19

07/31/2013 05:01:06 PM : File Successfully Encoded

07/31/2013 05:01:06 PM : Queue Stopped

07/31/2013 05:39:32 PM : Queue Resumed

- Source File: /Volumes/Opt/Users/jvp/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/fatt-10122012-cc_1.prproj

- Output File: /Volumes/Opt/Users/jvp/Desktop/front_1.mp4

- Preset Used: Custom

- Video: 1280x720 (1.0), 29.97 fps, Progressive

- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 5.00 Mbps, Max 5.00 Mbps

- Encoding Time: 00:09:17

07/31/2013 05:48:50 PM : File Successfully Encoded

07/31/2013 05:48:50 PM : Queue Stopped

• 7. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The times I reported were right from the text file log

Try just watching it.  That's what I did.

(By the way, where do you find that log?  I wasn't aware AME kept one.)

• 8. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                        jasonvp Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

Try just watching it.  That's what I did.

I'm genuinely confused as to what you want me to do.  Why watch it?  What am I watching for?  I'd much rather set it and forget it, and come back later to check the results.

(By the way, where do you find that log?  I wasn't aware AME kept one.)

I'm not sure where it'd be found on a Windoids box, but on a Mac it's in the ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Adobe Media Encoder/7.0 directory.

• 9. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Why watch it?  What am I watching for?

I've run this test three times on two different machines, one of which used your own test method, and each time I got the same results - AME is not using the GPU.  You're claiming to get different results.  I'm trying to find out why.  One possible explanation is observer error.  As it turns out, we did have different methods of observation.  Having you repeat the test using the same method of observation will eliminate that variable.

on a Mac

Ah, Hah!  Another variable.

• 10. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                            Sijimo9 Level 1

I have to confirm that in my case Media Encoder CC is not using GPU to render Premire sequences (1080p scaled down to H264 720p, maximum render quality, and GPU enabled effects including Filmconvert Pro 2). I just tried to use GPU-Z utility to monitor GPU activity during render, and in AME GPU usage is 0%. When i'm exporting direct, GPU load is around 70-80% and render time is significantly faster.

• 11. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe's settings have nothing to do with FilmConvert Pro 2.  (Just got that myself.  Love the new controls.  OpenCL rendering is much quicker.)

Max Render Quality will force CPU rendering, so it's best to leave that unchecked when you do have GPU acceleration on.

We did figure out that in order to see GPU acceleration in Adobe Media Encoder, you still need to have a supported card or apply the hack to the text file.

• 12. Re: GPU Acceleration In Premiere Pro CC
                                nw42 Level 2

to activate GPU rendering in AME CC you have to send a MPE GPU activated timeline to AME. Second: the GPU need to be registered in the cards.txt file or the cards .txt file have to be deleted.

--> It doesn't work if you use a GPU that is working in PP CC but isn't registered in the cards.txt file!