14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 8:09 PM by JEShort01

Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing

microtribe Level 1

I'm getting a new Dell T7600 and after reading the boards for hours am really confused about what I really need. This computer will be editing about 25% of the time, and doing "normal" office work the rest of the time. We produce instructional videos. The editing is fairly simple, talking heads in a classroom environment. Although we sometimes do green screen and color correction which takes up more resources. We produce online videos for download and also DVDs. Adobe Premier CS6.

Current specs of prospective computer below. Budget up to $4K but would prefer to stay around $3K.

My main questions:

• Is this processor overkill? Would I be fine with -  Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2603 (Four Core, 1.8GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s)
      • Dual Processor vs. Single Processor?
      • Raid O or No Raid?
      • 3 1TB hard drives (as Harm recommends) or 1 1TB and 1 2 TB?

Processor:
      Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.3GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo)

Memory:
      16GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 x 4GB DIMMs)

Graphics:
      NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000, 2GB, 2 DP & 1 DVI-I (2 DP-DVI & DVI-VGA adapters)

Hard Drive Configuration:
      C1 SATA 3.5 Inch, 1-4 Hard Drives

Hard Drive RAID:

RAID 0

PCIe Hard Drive Controller:
      PERC H310 for Dell Precision, SATA/SAS 6Gb/s, RAID 0/1/5/10 (8 ports)

Boot Hard Drive:
      1TB, 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive

Thanks for your feedback!

• 1. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and see how the Xeon rates... if you are going to use a Xeon instead of an i7 you do need two of them

If you have a very expensive 10bit monitor the Quadro card is good... otherwise, a GTX is MUCH faster for video editing

A boot drive of 320-or-500gig is all you need... I have a 320Gig boot drive, and only use about 70Gig for Win7 and all software

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input source & output export files

I don't RAID, so can't comment

• 2. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
            microtribe Level 1

Thanks John. The only option I'm allowed for processor is the Xeon, single or dual core, with many GHz and GT options. Wondering if this one (which would save $800) would work just fine?: Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2603 (Four Core, 1.8GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s)

I don't have the choice of the GTX either. Just these:

• Dual 2.0GB AMD FirePro™ W5000, 2 DP + DVIi [add $269.50]
            • Dual 2.0GB AMD FirePro™ V5900, Six Monitor, 4DP & 2DVI [add $255.50]
            • NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 DP & 1 DVI-I ( 2 DP-DVI & DVI-VGA adapters) [add $283.50]
            • Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000, 2GB, 2 cards w/ 2 DP & 1 DVI-I each (4 DP-DVI & 2 DVI-VGA adapters) [add $416.50]
            • NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000, 2GB, 2 DP & 1 DVI-I (2 DP-DVI & DVI-VGA adapters) [Included in Price]
            • Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 cards w/ 2 DP & 1 DVI-I each (4 DP-DVI & 2 DVI-VGA adapters) [add $983.50]
            • 3. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

if you are going to use a Xeon instead of an i7 you do need two of them

To achieve similar benchmark numbers, that is - if that's important. In addition, dual E5-2603 will likely be slower than a single E5-2650.

A good editing system isn't about hitting benchmarks, it's about balanced performance, reliability, support and suitability for specific workflows (timeline complexity and length, types of effects, file formats). Getting good numbers with a synthetic benchmark is an indication of how well the system may perform, but far from being the only criteria.

• 4. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

The only option I'm allowed for processor is the Xeon, single or dual core, with many GHz and GT options. Wondering if this one (which would save $800) would work just fine?: Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2603 (Four Core, 1.8GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s)

I'd go for a single E5-2650 instead if that's an option: same total number of cores, faster clock, faster memory.

If not, consider at least dual E5-2620, for the same reasons. E5-2603: smaller cache, no hyper-threading, slower memory access, slower clock. It's really for scenarios where CPU speed isn't important. Just not a great option for video editing.

• NVIDIA® Quadro® K4000, 3GB, 2 DP & 1 DVI-I ( 2 DP-DVI & DVI-VGA adapters)

I'd go for that one. Or, get it graphics-less (or with the cheapest graphics card possible) and add a GeForce GTX-780, for roughly the same money as K4000, giving you much faster performance. Won't be covered by Dell warranty of course, yet is the best option.

• 5. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                  microtribe Level 1

Thanks Alex. I've read that since I'm not doing any editing of action footage or heavy effects that I just don't need a super-charged video card like the K4000, which would add $1K to my price tag. Are you suggesting it because of the speed alone? Do you think that my be overkill in my situation editing talking head footage?

• 6. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

I've read that since I'm not doing any editing of action footage or heavy effects that I just don't need a super-charged video card like the K4000, which would add $1K to my price tag.

K2000 or GTX-760 (much better) then. Was suggesting K4000 because it's less than $300 over K2000, and worth it.

May I ask why T7600 and not T3600? On your tight budget, it makes much more sense.

• 7. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                      microtribe Level 1

I started with the T7600 because with the discounts offered the base price is only a few hundred dollars more. Dell of course marks up the cards and memory, etc. So they are charging $1K more for the K4000. If I go to the T3600, I'm gonig to be well below all of the specs everyone is recommending, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting that. Are you saying that I don't need the T7600 for what I'm doing? I'm willing to pay a little more for a system that might last longer and isn't going to cause me any problems while editing.

Also could you explain why you were suggesting the K4000 specifically? Is it just speed?

Thanks,

Tony

• 8. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Tony,

The T7600 case is indeed nicer than the T3600. It has a much beefier p/s, lots more room for drives (up to 8), and I suspect more room for a GTX video card.

Definitely get the cheapest video card and change it out for one of the nVidia GTX cards!

I agree with Alex that a e5-2650 would be a good choice. A single e5-2687w would be a very fast choice if you can afford it. The least expensive cpu I would suggest would be the e5-2640 6-core for a T7600 for video editing. I would not suggest going with dual cpus at your price point.

Jim

• 9. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                          microtribe Level 1

Here are my processor choices below. So it sounds like you receommend the Single E5-2650 over the Dual E5-2630? Thanks for everyone's input by the way. Not sure how to keep up with all of this information and still get any work done!

Single Processor

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.3GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo) [subtract $630.00]

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650 (Eight Core, 2.0GHz, 20M, 8.0 GT/s, Turbo+) [add $126.00]

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2665 (Eight Core, 2.4GHz, 20M, 8 GT/s,Turbo+) [add $392.00]

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 (Six Core, 2.9GHz, 15M, 8.0GT/s, Turbo) [add $462.00]

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2680 (Eight Core, 2.7GHz, 20M, 8.0 GT/s, Turbo+) [add $700.00]

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W (Eight Core, 3.1GHz, 20M, 8.0 GT/s, Turbo+) [add $840.00]

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2643 (Four Core, 3.3GHz, 10M, 8.0 GT/s) [subtract $42.00]

Dual Processor

Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2603 (Four Core, 1.8GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s) [subtract $798.00]

Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2609 (Four Core, 2.4GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s) [subtract $532.00]

Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2620 (Six Core, 2.0GHz, 10M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo) [subtract $350.00]

Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.3GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo) [My Current Selection]

• 10. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You will regret any CPU with a clock speed lower than 2.6GHz with Adobe regardless if it has 8 cores versus 6. I would highly recommend against this.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

If I go to the T3600, I'm gonig to be well below all of the specs everyone is recommending, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting that.

Sorry, forget T3600 - only two internal drive bays. I really like the swappable PSU but not any of the other things. Forgot it's nothing like HP Z420. That one usually comes in $1K-1.2K below a comparably equipped Z820 (which is T7600's main competitor), and this is why I thought T3600 might work. (When they make their single socket T320 server with its 16-bay SFF backplane into a workstation, I'd be the first to knock on their doors.)

Also could you explain why you were suggesting the K4000 specifically? Is it just speed?

Not just speed: price/performance ratio among Quadros.

• 12. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

So it sounds like you receommend the Single E5-2650 over the Dual E5-2630?

No: the 2650 is a better choice than dual 2603s, but not dual 2630. For Premiere Pro purposes, perhaps even a single 2630 will be a better choice, with its faster clock.

• 13. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                                  microtribe Level 1

OK. Is there really much difference in the end between the two choices that are highlighted above? (Single 2650 and Dual 2630)?

• 14. Re: Dell Precision T7600 Specs for Moderate Editing
                                    JEShort01 Level 4

Yes, a big difference; the Dual 2630 would definitely be better for Premiere.

2650: 2.8 Turbo for 1 core, 8 cores total at 2.4 GHz

dual 2640: 3.0 Turbo for 2 cores, 8 cores at 2.8 GHz, and 12 cores at 2.3 GHz

I'm really quite amazed it is only a $126 difference - nice value!

Jim