9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 9:49 AM by Quickstudy2

InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/export-jpeg-format.html

• 1. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
          hmwhitley12

My jpeg export box does not have the last set of options--bleed settings, etc.  Can anyone help me figure out how to get it?

• 2. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JPEG is a bitmapped format, inappropriate for print output. Bleed settings are intended for print output. Bleeds wouldn't be used for a file which is going to be viewed on-screen.

Perhaps you should tell us what you're trying to do in more detail.

• 3. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The jpeg export dialog should have a checkbox to use document bleed settings, but not fields for setting bleeds like you would find in the PDF for Print export dialog. Can you show us a screen shot of what your dialog looks like?

• 4. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
                hmwhitley12 Level 1

Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 2.00.26 PM.png

I am trying to save this a jpg file but with bleed marks.  According to the original "how-to" post, there should be an option for this.  Just wondering what I am doing wrong.

• 5. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just checked the Help for for InDesign CC (the current version). There is no mention of bleed marks in the Help file. Only the option that Peter mentioned in post #3 for including the bleed area.

• 6. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
                    Ellis home Level 4

What's your operating system. I have CS6 windows and I see the option for using document bleed setting.

• 7. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Screen shot looks like CS4. The bleed option was added with CS5, but still no marks. Export to PDF to get waht you want, then open in Photoshop to convert to .jpeg.

• 8. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
                        Bo LeBeau Level 4

I will repeat what Steve Werner said about Jpeg not being a good format for printing, but you can do what you want even if you finally succeed in applying crop marks.

The bigger issue is the black border. It appears you are working in Picas & Points as your measuring system. Your border will make it much harder to cut successfully unless you cut every single invitation individually.

The narrow black border would be problematic even on a printing press which have very tight tolerances of paper movement.

Printing this on an inkjet or color laser (even a large production machine and also using a large digital cutter) and this issue gets much worse.

Each piece of paper that is pulled through a printer will be printed a slight fraction of an inch (or several points) different from the sheet before and also the sheet after. So each one will not line up exactly when stacked for cutting (and remember the cut marks will also move along with the image from page to page).

After cutting, some may be ok, but others may end up with no visible border on the top, almost cutting into the orange and showing the whole border that extends into the bleed on the bottom. Or things will shifts slight right or left.

This is simply a fact of life with inkjets and lasers. They have much looser tolerances for transporting paper through the printer. ALL of them do it to some extent, and when cutting it will be impossible to have the same amount of black border on all 4 sides.

The best solution is to completly delete the black border. And I would also move the orange box down from the top of the page.

If you really insist on a border, make it much larger (several times larger). While the border/image will still shift, it will be less noticible when it is a larger border. Of course, you will need to adjust the text layout to accommodate the larger border.

• 9. Re: InDesign Help | Export to JPEG format
                          Quickstudy2

If it is (was?) a very short print run (a dozen or two), trimming by hand with decoratively edged scissors can be an attractive solution. In that case, imperfection is part of what makes it special.