4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 4:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Image display problem

RobiRH2

When I create a WMV file from Photoshop Elements 9, the file looks fine and will work normally on my computer (Windows 7 64-bit).  The first couple of times I used the program I was able to create a DVD with no problems in Premier Elements.  However, I am now unable to do so.  When I drag the WMV file to the timeline, only the bottom half of the image is visible (although it looks OK on the right pane where the image thumbnails appear.)  I don't get any error messages, but if I proceed with the burn, the DVD only shows the bottom half of the image.  I can't figure out if there is a switch that got turned on or off accidently, or if there's a problem with the program.  I did reinstall with no change in results. 

• 1. Re: Image display problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Please see the ANNOUNCEMENT on the main forum page.

This is caused by a bad Windows update.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Image display problem
            A.T. Romano Level 7

RobiRH2

The Announcement that you should be looking for at the top of this forum looks like this

Announcement: Windows Update Causes Display to Be Blacked Out

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

by Bill Hunt (Jul 12, 2013)

I often find it hidden as it cycles through its 1, 2, and 3.

There are many, many threads on the matter. Key thoughts include:

a. For now, set up Windows Updates so that you require notification and your approval before any downloading and installing of these Windows Updates.

b. If you catch the offending Windows Update kb in Important Updates, then right click it and select Hide. That is supposed to keep it gone.

ATR

• 3. Re: Image display problem
              RobiRH2 Level 1

Thanks!  That was the problem.

• 4. Re: Image display problem
                A.T. Romano Level 7

RobiRH2

Glad that worked for you.

If you have any more problems with that matter, please do not hesitate to let us know. The suggestions of others that I mentioned in my prior post in your thread should keep that offending Windows Update kb gone.

Thanks.

ATR