5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 2:11 PM by BlackJack5852

I film with an iPhone and edit in PE10, what project settings would be best?

BlackJack5852

So I'm filming a short film with my iPhone 4S, and editing in PE10. The recommended project setting for the iPhone 4S's footage is 'Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29_97'. However, I film using an App called FilmicPro, which allows me to customize frames per second, resolution and audio capture with some settings. In my case, I've set the app to film at 30fps and with a resolution of 1920x1080. I still use the above mentioned project setting. So my first question is:
      -If I'm filming in 1080x190 at 30fps, is there a different setting I should be using for the project?

Now for the second part. The first part of my editing process is I start a project, select 'Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29_97', then I splice and string together the raw footage from FilmicPro like normal. Next I export the project with the settings:

Quicktime (For email and playback on Mac)

Output: 1920x1080, 29_97fps, Progressive, Quality 100 48000hz, Mono, H.264

Source: Clip, Sequence 01,
                     1280x720 (1.0), 29_97 fps, Progressive, *insert duration*, 48000 Hz, Stereo

Audio Codec: AAC

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz Mono

Video Codec: H.264

Field Type: Progressive

Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)

Render at Max. Depth: 24 bit

After I export the project, I start another project (not changing the project settings from before), and then I import the finished project as media so I can add special FX (in this case muzzle flashes, blood, etc.). However when I add the video, PE10 states the project settings dont match, and asks if I'd like the program to choose the correct settings. I select yes. This changes the project settings to 'DSLR-1080p-DSLR 1080p30'. I edit without issues, and use the same export settings as I did for the base draft. I also notice when I view the project settings in the second project after it changes settings, that it says the editing mode is now 'Sony XDCAM EX 720p'. So my second question is:
      -Should I use the setting that PE10 switches to? Or select 'No' and still use the Flip Mino setting i used for the first draft?
           The end video still looks great (for an iphone), although of course there is still noise. I'm basically trying to get the absolute best quality possible. If this is as good as it gets, and It turns out ive been doing this right, then that's fine. But if anyone can recomend better settings to use, then please tell. Thanks.

Forgot to mention, I'm using an unmodified MacBook Pro (2006) with Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Dont know if that info is needed, but thought I'd include it.

• 1. Re: I film with an iPhone and edit in PE10, what project settings would be best?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BlackJack5852

If you have 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second footage, then you should be using Premiere Elements 10 Mac project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

I would question your prior choices for Premiere Elements 10 Mac project presets for your prior work but let us discuss the present for now.

If you export that 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second Timeline content as 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second, consider the export choice of

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

From what you describe, maintaining the 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second workflow and outputting that as such should be consistent with what is written above.

Out of curiosity who has been advising you about project presets for your prior work?

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I film with an iPhone and edit in PE10, what project settings would be best?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

BlackJack5852

Maybe I missed something. So extra post on this.

You wrote

Quicktime (For email and playback on Mac)

Output: 1920x1080, 29_97fps, Progressive, Quality 100 48000hz, Mono, H.264

Source: Clip, Sequence 01,
                           1280x720 (1.0), 29_97 fps, Progressive, *insert duration*, 48000 Hz, Stereo

Audio Codec: AAC

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz Mono

Video Codec: H.264

Field Type: Progressive

Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)

Render at Max. Depth: 24 bit

Why? Where did the 720p30 come from?

If you have 720p30 footage, you should be using

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

If that is what you have, do you really want to export that as 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720?

If an export of 1280 x 720, please look at

Computer

AVCHD

Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p30

and change the settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab to look like

720p30.JPG

Please check out the export settings adjustments that you can make under Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab for the preset that you select.

ATR

• 3. Re: I film with an iPhone and edit in PE10, what project settings would be best?
              BlackJack5852 Level 1

Thanks for your reply,

I was actually curious as to why it showed the source clips as 1280x720 as well. I know for a fact they were filmed in 1920x1080, so i was wondering if they were showing up as 720p in the second draft becuase of using the flip mino project setting from the first. So i wont be experimenting with 720p exporting because im not filming in 720p to begin with, but i appreciate the advice on 720p exporting regardless, so thank you for that.
                   Also i forgot to mention that the preset i use for exporting is custom, and I got it from this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXqhja1RiA

Thats the only help I've had really. I apologize for not having the above information before.
              Anyway I'll try out the above AVCHD preset as well and see how that works out. Basically it looks as if I've been using the 'right' settings since PE10 changes the settings to

NTSC DSLR 1080p,

1080p 30fps
              However it only changes the settings to that during the second draft, so I will also experiment with using that preset to begin with.
              Again thank you for the information

• 4. Re: I film with an iPhone and edit in PE10, what project settings would be best?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

BlackJack5852

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 5. Re: I film with an iPhone and edit in PE10, what project settings would be best?
                  BlackJack5852 Level 1

I used the AVCHD settings mentioned above and did a comparison to find the AVCHD version is of higher quality and experienced no playback or editing difficulties. Again all the help was appriciated.