1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 10:28 PM by LRN1301

Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus

LRN1301

I have been working with Elements 4 for several years without much problem. All of a sudden, if I try to add a menu to a completed video, the program crashes.  No error message, it just closes.  The only way to get it to restart is to re-boot the computer.

I tried to go back to a previously completed project that had menus and tried to open that, but Elements crashed before it even gets the project open.

I can import footage, edit, add titles, do just about everything, but if I try to add a menu, it crashes.

I tried running a software repair from my Premiere Elements disc, but that didn't help.  I also did the same with the menu templates, but that also was of no help. I have the most recent driver for my video card.  Any thoughts on why I suddenly can't add menus or open projects that have menus?

Here are the basics of my system:

HP Desktop Pavilion Elite m9650f

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2

CPU - Intel Core i7 920  @ 2.67GHz

RAM - 8.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz

Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Hard Drives -   733GB Seagate ST3750528AS (RAID)          

1954GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723020BLE640 (SATA)

Optical Drives - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L

Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

• 1. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When did you last run Disk Cleanup and the Defragmenter on your computer?

And don't forget to ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime as well as the latest graphics card drive from the ATI or nVidia web site.

There could also be interference from the RAID setup on your C drive. RAID is generally considered an obsolete way to set up a drive and it can cause problems with more intensive processes.

Also, you don't say what model of camcorder your video is coming from, but version 4 is nearly 8 years old and is very limited in its ability to work with video files. It can really only work well with video from a miniDV camcorder.

Version 11 is much more advanced and versatile. It works with virtually any kind of camcorder video, and it will be able to take advantage of your 64-bit operating system and large RAM load -- something version 4 can not do. It might well be worth an  update to at least version 10!

• 2. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
            A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Just a supplemental thought...by any chance, have you been customizing your own disc menus at the .psd level or adding new ones that you created in Photoshop CS or higher?

If you go the following path, do you find all the disc menu theme files in the default location?

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0

DVD Templates

and in the DVD Templates Folder are the category Folders which contain the Theme Folders.

I do not see where you will gain a resource advantage for your Premiere Elements going from version 4 to either 10 or 11. You now have Premiere Elements 4 as a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows Vista 64 bit system. Premiere Elements 10 or 11 will also be a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows Vista 64 bit system. In each case, with the resource limitations of 32 bit system. It is when Premiere Elements 10 or 11 is run on specially Windows 7 or 8 64 bit that it becomes a 64 bit application that can take advantage of the 64 bit resources. (In the case of Premiere Elements 11 Mac, that is a 64 bit application when on Mac 64 bit). I think that SG was thinking Windows 7 or 8 64 bit when he made his comments on this aspect of product selection in his previous post.

Looking forward to the answers to his questions first and then mine.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
              LRN1301 Level 1

Steve:

First, thanks for the quick response.

Before I answer your questions, let me add a bit more background.  I first noticed this problem about six months ago.  Up until then it had worked without a problem.  Since then I have edited several project without a problem... as long as I don't try to add a menu.  Outside of adding a second hard drive, I haven't made any major changes to my system during this time. 

Okay, to answer your questions...

I ran Disk Cleanup, probably a couple of months ago.  DeFrag about 3 weeks ago.

As to the Seagate being listed as a RAID drive, I'm not sure why it is listed that way.  I just went back and checked the bios and both drives are set as Non-RAID.

I mainly download from an old JVC camcorder using miniDV's.  However, on this last project that crashed, it was video from a VHS tape.  It downloaded without a problem and saved as an avi.  I was able to edit as normal.  Again it was only when I tried to add a menu that it crashed.  And BTW, I tired several different menu templates, just to see if it made a difference and they all crashed the minute I tried to add them.

I tired upgrading to version 8 a couple years back and that was a disaster.  It not only ran much slower, for some odd reason the quality of the video on the edit screen was terrible and the sound would almost always be out of sync.  After a month or so of trying to get it to work, I finally uninstalled it and re-installed 4.  As I said, it has been running fine until about 6 months ago.  I have no great aversion to upgrading to a new version... if I knew it would actually work... although at the moment everything I'm doing is still in standard definition, so I won't really be taking advantage of most of the new features.

I'm not sure if any of this give you a little more insight on what my problem may be, but I'm certainly appreciative of any suggestions.

• 4. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                LRN1301 Level 1

A.T.

Nope, I've just been using the supplied menus with one exception.  About a year ago, using a standard template, I changed the background image of the main page.  That worked just fine.  Was able to burn to DVD and so forth.  Of course, now if I even try to open that project it crashes exactly the same way as if I try to add a menu to a new project.  It all seems to revolve around the menus.

Good thought on checking to make sure the menu files are actually still there.  However, I just checked and all the folders are there and all the files inside them appear to be intact.  I think I mentioned that I did run a repair on the templates just to make sure that wasn't a problem.

• 5. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I think I mentioned that I did run a repair on the templates just to make sure that wasn't a problem.

Can you elaborate on the "repair," that you ran, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

You wrote

About a year ago, using a standard template, I changed the background image of the main page.

How did you do that and on what specific disc menu theme?

Did you do this changed background in the Disc Menus section of the opened project or did you go into the .psd files in the program files?

Hunt asked about the "repair" that you referred to. Was this done before or after the problem that you present, that is, the crash when you hit the Disc Menus header.

Just to be safe, please confirm that it is the Disc Menus header that you hit to trigger the crash.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                      LRN1301 Level 1

Using the original installation disc.  It gives you the option of "repairing" as opposed to uninstalling everything and then reinstalling.

• 8. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                        LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

About changing the background on the menu I set up... as I said it was about a year ago, so I don't recall which of the themes I used as my template... and unfortunately, I can't open that file without crashing the program, so I can't check to see which it was.  However, I did change the background image right from the Create Menus section.  I just imported a jpg file of the image I wanted and substituted it for whatever the original image was.  I did several other adjustments of moving buttons and so forth on the menu.  It all worked fine and I was able to save it and burn a few DVDs.  So again, it all did work at one time, but no longer.

Running the "repair" for both Elements files and the templates was done after the program began to fail.

The exact moment of failure is not when I click on the Create Menu tab.  I can open that and it shows all the templates and I can even move between the various categories.  The program will crash if I actually try to apply one of the menus or even do a drag and drop to get it into the project.  It will also crash if I try to open a previously saved project that had menus.

One other thing to note, when it crashes, there is no error message or screen freeze.  Elements just disappears.   I'm looking at my Elements edit screen one moment and the next I'm back to the desktop.  If I try to re-start Elements right away, nothing happens. If I go to the Task Manager, Elements is not listed as a running application, but if I go to the processes tab I can see it is still in the memory.  But even if I highlight it and tell it to "end process," it can't close it down.  It doesn't seem to stop any other operations on the computer from running, it just taking up space in the memory and won't restart.  It does seem to prevent me from doing a normal re-start or shutdown on the computer.  I have to do a hard re-boot. 

• 9. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Thanks for the follow up information.

Let us try following two things.

Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs File. I do not have Windows Vista 64 bit, like you, but I am hoping that my Windows 7 and 8 64 bit paths will be the same for you.

Local Disc C

Users

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 4.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not do the job, the delete the whole 4.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If neither of them work, then it is time for the uninstall/reinstall. Do not bother with Repair.

Use the Control Panel route to uninstall Premiere Elements 4.0. Make sure that all the Content goes along with it. Then reinstall Premiere Elements 4 from your installation disc.

There is one other train of thought. Not sure if it is going to be productive, but....how many Premiere Elements 4 projects do you currently have saved to your hard drive (internal or external).Ones with menus included in them? I am thinking to change the name(s) of these project.prels on your hard drive, try to re-open them, and see the outcome with regard to your issue.

Still thinking about the latter.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, a Repair Install of PrE. Now I understand, and the Repair Install can correct many issues, though I am not sure if it would affect anything in the Menus, other than perhaps replacing a Menu Set Template, if you had edited those in Ps, or PsE.

Thank you for the info.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                              LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

You wrote: Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs File. I do not have Windows Vista 64 bit, like you, but I am hoping that my Windows 7 and 8 64 bit paths will be the same for you

Okay, the path was the same.  Deleting Adobe the Premiere Elements Prefs didn't help. I then tried removing the whole folder that contained the file, but it still crashed.

You wrote: There is one other train of thought. Not sure if it is going to be productive, but....how many Premiere Elements 4 projects do you currently have saved to your hard drive (internal or external).Ones with menus included in them? I am thinking to change the name(s) of these project.prels on your hard drive, try to re-open them, and see the outcome with regard to your issue.

I probably have 20-30 projects saved on my hard drive.  I'm not sure how many have menus, my guess would be 10 or fewer.  I'm not sure what changing the name would do.  As an experiment I just tried starting a new project.  I didn't open any video. I just started by trying to create a menu.  I tried to drag a menu template to the edit screen... 5 seconds later it crashed.

So, at this point my thinking is trying your removal suggestion and then reload Elements. However, you said Make sure that all the Content goes along with it.  Are you saying I have to delete all the videos I've created I'm not thrilled about losing what amounts to hundreds of hours of work.  I don't quite see the logic. Even the projects with menus did work at one time so I can't see how they could effect a new project. 

• 12. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Sorry I could not get back to your sooner. I got involved in a computer disaster that I am still working on.

When I wrote Content, that was Content as in Disc Menus, Movie Themes, Title Templates that are on the Content disc that came with the rest of the installation discs.

I just want you start start with the program that has been uninstall reinstall and whose Content (Disc Menus) are "refreshed" by an uninstall reinstall.

Please let me know if you understand my suggestion and are OK with it.

Thanks.

It is very late where I am so I will be signing off until the light of day.

ATR

Thanks.

• 13. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                  LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

First, no apologies are necessary.  I just appreciate you (and others) trying to help.

Now, I understand what you were talking about with "Content."  I will do a complete uninstall through the control panel and then reinstall and see if that will fix the problem. I'm busy working this weekend, so I may not have time to get to it until later today or tomorrow, but I will put up a post of what happens as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                    LRN1301 Level 1

Okay, I finally had a chance to uninstall Elements and all the content and then reinstall.  Sadly, it still has the same problem.  Just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with any of my previous projects, I quickly put together a new project with 3 short video clips - added menu markers - then tried to create a menu using one of the standard templates.  It closed down just as it did before the reinstall.

At this point I would have to think there is something (software or hardware) on my computer that is conflicting with Elements.  The thing is, I have a hard time understanding what kind of conflict would allow everything in Elements such as capturing video, editing, adding effects, burning to DVD, converting to other sharable media, etc. to run perfectly but when you go to add a menu, it crashes the whole thing.  That's such a specific thing to cause it to shut down.

Any other thoughts?

• 15. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Sorry the news was not better. But, onward.

Have we been down the route of video card driver update? Have you gone to the ADM web site to assure that your ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (XFX Pine Group) driver is up to date by its latest posting?

I will think about this some more.

To be continued.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                        LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

Yes, I have the latest driver.  As a matter of fact, as a test I reverted to an old driver from 2011 to see if by some chance the new driver was somehow causing the problem, but the old driver crashed the same as the new one.

• 17. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Still thinking for more ideas on this one.

Just a question. When did you change from SP1 to SP2 for your Windows Vista 64 bit?

I noticed that SP2 comes in a 32 and 64 bit version. Any wild, wild chance that you installed the 32 bit SP2 for your Windows Vista 64 bit?

More later.

ATR

• 18. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                            LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

I honestly have no idea how far back it was I changed to SP2. I'd guess at least 3 years.

I have my Windows set to Auto Update (with notification), so unless Windows updated it

incorrectly way back when, I would assume it is the correct version.  Of course, if that

was the case, I'd think I would have been having problems with lots of other things, not

just Elements.

• 19. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Here is my grand plan or major dud for advancing on this crash when you try to use Premiere Elements 4 Disc Menus. Drastic measure for the time.

Take your Premiere Elements 4 installation disc and insert it in the burner tray. Then go to Computer and that drive, right click the drive and select Open. Then select Premiere Elements Folder/Templates/DVD Templates.zip. Copy the DVD Templates.zip Folder to the computer desktop and unzip it. That unzipped folder should have all the category folders, Entertainment, General, etc.

Then go to Local Disk C\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Premiere Elements 4.0\DVD Templates. In the DVD Templates Folder, you should find the existing category folders, General, Entertainment, etc. Here I am not sure how I want to proceed but whichever way, get all those category folders gone from there. Not sure if best to create a folder, put them all in the folder, and put them on the desktop or just delete them all. Right now I am in favor of deleting them all.

Then one at a time add back category folders to the DVD Templates Folder, and, after each addition, determine if you can open Disc Menus in a new project without crashing the program. Keep going until you are stopped by a crash after the addition of a particular category folder. In this way determine which category folder(s) is are associated with the crash.

Hopefully this grand plan will not come to a crashing conclusion after we add back the first category folder named Entertainment. My theory is that there is an offending theme disc menu in there somewhere that it triggering in-project Disc Menus crashes.

If any questions, please tell me before you start the task. As the old TV program asked "Do you wish to accept this mission?", hopefully not Mission Impossible.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

Although I'm hardly Tom Cruise... or Peter Graves for that matter, I can give that a shot. However, when I perviously uninstalled it, Windows control panel  sees Elements and it's Templates as two seperate entities.  So I actually unistalled the templates first and tried to see what would happen when I ran Elements without the templates.  When I opened the Create Menus tab it still showed one generic template.  I tired to add that to the video, but that resulted in the same crash.  So, my thinking is, what you are suggesting probably won't do anything since it crashed previouly with only on template even available.

If you think I should still give it a try, I will, but I have to go out of town for work for a couple days, so it will be next week before I will be able to work on it again.

Again, thanks for you suggestions.

• 21. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

What was the generic template that you found in the program after you deleted the Content via Control Panel? Was it in the Slideshows category and the Pan and Zoom theme? If so, let us first look at the following, but do not delete the Content via Control Panel route as part of this plan:

Delete only the Slideshows Category Folder in the path

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0

DVD Templates

Slideshows Folder

We will look forward to the results so that we can decide on what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                    LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

I'm not 100% sure which template it was.  Since there was only one available, I just tried it, not paying much attention to what it actually was. I do know it was one I had never used before.  Just going in and looking at all of them, I think it is the one called Comicbook in the General folder.  Although the only way I can be sure that was it, would be to uninstall the templates again and go back in as see what comes up.

LRN1301

• 23. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

I just uninstalled all my Premiere Elements 4 Windows Content. You are correct. The one remaining, not part of the Content on the installation disc, is that disc menu Comicbook in the General Folder. The path to it would be:

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0

DVD Templates

General Folder

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 24. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                        LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

I tried just removing the Comicbook folder and it still crashed.  So as you suggested I removed the entire General Folder... still crashed.

LRN1301

• 25. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Sorry the news was not better.

Based on your prior test of all Content (disc menu templates) deleted and just Comicbook remaining and crash, I thought that we did not have to go through deleting all and starting the add back to find a possible offending disc menu or disc menus. Just to dot the i's and cross the t's, perhaps continue the process of deleting one by one those category folders to see if you ever get to the point where the program does not crash when you select a disc menu in the program.

If that approach does not lead to resolving this situation, how about this for troubleshooting purposes only? Download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 and determine if you can gain access the Movie Menus section with Tools Menu/Movie Menu selection.

(Do not uninstall your Premiere Elements 4. Have it installed with all its menus and closed.) The goals here are:

a. See if you can get Premiere Elements 11 Windows Movie Menus to work for you.

b. With Premiere Elements 11 Windows closed, but still on your computer with Premiere Elements 4, open Premiere Elements 4 and see if the your Create Menus/ is now working or crashing as usual.

Thinking ahead, just in case, how many Premiere Elements 4 projects do you now have saved to your computer (either Local Disk C or internal or external hard drive)? How many of them have menus already in the project.prel file?

Looking forward to further developments

ATR

Add On...be prepared for major interface change going from Premiere Elements 4 to 11. But we can overcome that.

• 26. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                            LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

I'm not sure the trial and error method of removing folders one at a time makes much sense since it crashed with no folders and only the Comicbook template in place... and removing Comicbook didn't resolve the problem.  If you really think there is a reason to try it I will, but it will be fairly time consuming since I have to reboot every time it crashes. 

On the other hand, trying Premier Elements 11 seems like an interesting idea, however, I can't seem to find a trial version available.  All I see at Adobe is the new cloud versions of the software. Is that what you meant or do you have a link to a trial version of  11?

Otherwise, I could try reloading version 8 that I had problems with before, but still have, and see if that crashes with the menus.

LRN1301

• 27. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

This should be the link that you need for the Premiere Elements 11 Tryout from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us

Let go for the Premiere Elements 11 tryout. And, put previous thoughts on hold.

Remember, if you have thoughts of purchase of the product, keep in mind that a new version is due soon. Only Adobe knows when. So, plan purchasing strategy if that is the way you decide to proceed.

Looking forward to your results.

I caution you ahead of time, all Content is downloaded from within the program. It can be very time consuming, depending on Internet speed and Adobe Server status. So, remember to try one menu download first to get an idea of the merits of all this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

I see a problem...

The download page states "Premiere Elements 11 64-bit can only be installed on Windows 7 or Windows 8 for 64 Bit 64-bit operating system."  I'm runing under Vista 64-bit.

LRN1301

• 29. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

I think that you have misinterpreted what is written on that Premiere Elements 11 tryout download page.

I believe it is just stating that Premiere Elements 11 64 bit will be Premiere Elements 11 64 bit when it is installed on a Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer operating system.

You should be able to install the Premiere 11 tryout on your Windows Vista 64 bit computer, but it, like the purchased version, will be a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the Windows Vista 64 bit system and as such will have all the limitations of 64 bit.

Your Premiere Elements 4 has been running under the same circumstances on this Windows Vista 64 bit computer.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                                                  • 30. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                    LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

GOOD NEWS!  Installing version 11 solved the problem.  Using version 11 I built a short video and tried to add a menu template that I had used in the past.  It didn't crash, so I rendered it as both a "WEB DVD" and actually burned it to a DVD.  Both worked just fine.  I then tried bringing up an old video (with a Menu) that I had edited with version 4.  Version 11 brought it up without a problem.  I didn't want to waste a DVD so I didn't try to burn it, but I would guess it would work without a problem.

As you suggested, I then closed 11 and started version 4 and lo and behold, it suddenly worked!

So, now I have two questions: 

First, out of curiosity, what would installing version 11 have done that would have corrected a menu problem with version 4?  Since earlier I had completely uninstalled 4 and then reinstalled it, I would think that should have fixed any problems. Could installing 11 have changed some setting within my system that made the menus work, where as installing 4 didn't change those settings?  Or do you think it may have been something else?

Second, since I only have the trial version of 11, do you think if I uninstall it at the end of the 30 day trial period, will version 4 start to fail again?  In all honesty, version 11 seems pretty good  and I might consider going ahead and buying it, but as you said, there may be a new version coming out soon.

LRN1301

• 31. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

OVERJOYED with the great news - no program crashes with versions 11 Movie Menu and version 4 now triggered to not crash at Create Menus.

With regard to...

First, out of curiosity, what would installing version 11 have done that would have corrected a menu problem with version 4?  Since earlier I had completely uninstalled 4 and then reinstalled it, I would think that should have fixed any problems. Could installing 11 have changed some setting within my system that made the menus work, where as installing 4 didn't change those settings?  Or do you think it may have been something else?

This has happened in several instances, that is, installing the later version triggering the earlier one and suddently having the earlier one to start working. This type of situation has applied to features other than disc menus. So, I do not believe it to be a strictly disc menu issue. All speculation. Could be a missing .dll or other program file that intergrates functions. I often edit (or try to edit) the .psd from disc menus using Photoshop Elements. To do that Photoshop Elements must open the Layer Sets (Photoshop features) in it. Always does it on Windows XP, but on other operating systems, sometimes yes and sometimes no. I do not have firm proof, but the trend seems to correlation with other programs activated and new program installs.

Now whether or not your Premiere Elements 4 bonus will hold up is another question, and whether it will remain after purchase of 11 or 12 is questionable. I am hoping that you will get the chance to see if Premiere Elements 4 menu problem is gone after the uninstall of Premiere Elements 11.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 32. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                        LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

Another follow up to add to the confusion of what was happening.

After re-booting the computer I tried starting version 4 without first starting version 11.  When I tried to add a menu to a test project it crashed as it had done originally.  So, I rebooted and this time started 11 first. The only thing I did was bring up a test project that already had a menu attached.  I then closed 11 and brought up 4.  Again I tried to add a menu... although a different one from the one on the 11 test project.  Again 4 crashed.  Rebooting again, this time I open 11, added a different menu to the test project and saved it.  I closed 11, started up 4 and this time tried adding the same menu as I just put on the 11 project.  This time it worked.

So, I figured in order to run 4 and add a menu, I would have to run 11 first and use whatever menu template I wanted to use in 4.  I tried it a couple more times and that worked.  I saved 3 test projects in version 4 with different menu templates.  I was thinking, since 11 seems to have to download the templates each time you try and add one to a video, maybe 4 was somehow accessing these newly downloaded templates.  That didn't make much sense, since version 11 doesn't seem to actually save the templates it downloads... or at least I couldn't find them anywhere.  But, it seemed to be the only explanation I could come up with.

Then, just out of curiosity, the next morning after turning on the computer - before I did anything else - I started up version 4 (before starting 11).  I tried to bring up one of the previously saved test projects with menus attached.  It opened without crashing... which previously it wouldn't do!  So, I tried opening the other tests projects that I had saved and they opened as well.  Wanting to see how far I could push it, I took one of those test projects, opened the create menus tab and tried to change to a different template... it worked!  Finally, I put together another short test project and tried adding a completely different template and it worked without a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just at a loss to understand why version 4 suddenly appears to be working independently of 11?  Hopefully, this means when the 30 day trial on 11 expires, version 4 will continue to run... unless when I uninstall 11, it takes a file with it that causes 4 to crash again.  I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help!

• 33. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Thanks for the update.

How much time do you have left on the Premiere Elements 11 tryout from Adobe?

Version 11 gives you start up disc menu as you found out. It has all the miscellaneous files for each of the other disc menus installed, but lacks the critical .psd and other files necessary to make the disc menu work. That is when the online download enters the picture. That process completes these incomplete program files, automatically placing these critical files in the right place for you.

I am not sure if I gave you the following reference, but I will post it nonetheless. It is a link to my blog post on Premiere Elements 11 Content. It should explain the situation and tell you where everything is.

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 34. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                            LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

I have until August 18 on the trial.  However....

After being away from it for a few days, I just got a chance to play with version 4 again.  After earlier appearing to be stable and not needing 11 to have been pre-loaded... from a clean boot, I started 4 and tried to open one of the test projects (with a menu) that I had previously saved.  CRASH!  So it would appear my previous optimism that it was now working properly, was premature.

Obviously version 4 is still unstable... inconsistent at best. I really don't want to start building a new project using version 4 and have it stop working.  I've found version 11 at a pretty good price (probably because, as you mentioned, 12 will be coming out in the near future), so rather than spend more time trying to figure this out, maybe I should just go ahead and buy 11 and uninstall 4.

Any thoughts?

LRN1301

• 35. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Since you have been away for a few days, see if you can figure out what happened between the stable version 4 that you left and the unstable 4 that you found today. A just in case question...if you close the unstable 4 and open 11, is version 11 still stable in that same time frame?

I just do not want you stuck with two unstable programs. Can you still use Tools/Movie Menu in Premiere Elements 11 without crashes?

Please go back and make sure that new program and/or computer maintenance needs have not set in.

If you are in a time crunch for project, then an immediate decision needs to be made based on what is working for you. Even if you buy Premiere Elements 11 now and it becomes unstable like 4, make sure that you can get your money back for the purchased version 11.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 36. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                                LRN1301 Level 1

ATR

As always, good questions.

I haven't actually been away for a few days, I just hadn't used the software since last time I wrote.  I haven't added any new software or made any changes to the computer.  The only updates that I'm aware of are my usual virus protection with their weekly update of the virus definitions.

As for running 11, it so happens I haven't rebooted since version 4 crashed earlier this morning.  So, I just started 11.  It opened without a problem and loaded my previous  test project (created with version 11) complete with a menu.  Just as an experiment, I tried changing it to a different menu template.  It downloaded the new templ;ate and added it without a problem.  I changed it again and once again it worked without a problem.  For one last experiment, I closed that test project and tried to open the same one that I tried to open in version 4.  It opened without a problem.  So, whatever is causing version 4 to crash doesn't seem to have any effect on 11.

I don't have a big project that I need it for right away.  I just don't want to be in a position that something suddenly comes up and I don't have a stable version of a program I can use.

LRN1301

• 37. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                                  LRN1301 Level 1

Hi there.  It has been a while, so I'm not sure anyone is still watching this discussion, but I figured I would try this before starting a new

topic.

Anyway, long story short, I could not get version 4 to stablize so I went ahead and purchased the full version of 11.  It seems to be working fine... even the menus.  Although I'm not thrilled with having to download the templates each time and for whatever reason, I don't seem to have quite as much editing control on those templates as the old version, but I can live with that.

However, I now have a new problem.  I have been working on one of my older projects that was originally edited on 4.  I built a new menu for it without any problems.  I then went to burn it to a DVD.  It seemed to burn correctly, but when I tried to play it back, the DVD won't play on any of my DVD players or even the computer it was burned on.  I tried to burn it again, this time instead of a DVD-R I switched to a DVD+R to see if that would make a difference.  Again, it won't run on any of the DVD players.  If I put it back in the computer it was burned on, it did open it to the menu and I could switch to scene selection menus, but if I actually tried to play the video, it did nothing.

Just to make sure something wasn't wrong with the DVD drive or media player in the computer, I put in an old DVD that I had burned using version 4 and it played back just fine.  So, my new question is, why is Version 11 burning DVD's that I can't play back?

LRN1301

• 38. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

LRN1301

Thanks for the update.

Please excuse the following Premiere Elements 11 questions but I do not want to take anything for granted.

1. When you take your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline to

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

are you actually doing that? Is there any chance that the AVCHD panel is selected instead of DVD?

2. Given that you have gone

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

and used the preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

and have produced this DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

a. What brand/type DVD disc did you use before and now?

b. If you explore the disc contents of the disc in the burner tray, do you see an OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder? If so, can you play back the VTS_01_1.VOB file in a computer player?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 39. Re: Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus
                                                                                      LRN1301 Level 1

ATR:

Thanks for the quick response.

1.  Yes, DVD is what I selected with both times I burned to the disc.

2.    Yes on those settings except not the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.  Since it is not a

widescreen video I just use the NTSC_Dolby DVD setting.

2a. The first disc is a JVC DVD-R.  The second one is a Maxell DVD+R

2b. I am unable to get the computer to even read the JVC disc.  However, both of those folders are

on the Maxell disc.  I can see the thumbnail images of the VOB files, but I don't seem to have any

program that can play them as individual files.

As a test, I pulled out two old DVD's of the same brands and type that were burned using version

4 (on the same computer).  Both play just fine, menus and all.  So, at least I know both those discs have

previously been able to be burned on my system.

LRN1301

1 2 Previous Next