5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 7:33 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Video Jitter

TUFCode

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with After Effects in that when I replace a Premiere Pro file with an After Effects composition, the video jitters up and down every frame.

Here is the background info:

I'm using After Effects CS6, v.11.0.2.12 (and Premiere Pro CS6 v.6.0)

I have installed the recent updates within 2 days

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD A6-3430MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.7GHz, 64-bit, 6GB RAM (5.48GB usable)

The source footage is a H.246 in .mov format, 12.8MB file

No error messages

It hasn't worked before

I have QuickTime v.7.74.80.86

I am also running Premiere Pro CS6 and Cinema 4D 13.061

I am not using the OpenGL feature

It happens in both the RAM preview and final output

I am not using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing

Basically, I try to RAM preview the file and the jitters appear, so I then try to render it and the same thing occurs.  When I had the file open in Premiere Pro, the jitters were not there, so it is a problem tied in with After Effects...

Thanks,

TUFCode

• 1. Re: Video Jitter
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where did you get your source footage? What camera?  The problem is probably with the format of the H.264 footage. Please give us the file info for this footage from the QT player.

• 2. Re: Video Jitter
            TUFCode Level 1

The footage was shot with a Hauppauge HD PVR 2. 

It was shot in 1080p, with a frame rate of 29.94fps.

Is that enough info?

• 3. Re: Video Jitter
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

TUFCode wrote:

The footage was shot with a Hauppauge HD PVR 2. 

It was shot in 1080p, with a frame rate of 29.94fps.

Is that enough info?

Not really. Do what Rick suggested and provide all the info.

When you say it jitters up and down, could you be a bit more specific. I've heard people use that term to describe a number of different issues.

What are the file interpretation settings for your h.264 file in After Effects?

• 4. Re: Video Jitter
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would be highly suspicious of the codec and compression used by a real time gaming capture device. Games play back at many different frame rates and there could be some real issues capturing the right ones. H.264 can be a valid consumer level capture format for some devices, but it can also be full of all kinds of problems including frame rate, sync, compression, and motion artifact problems if used in the production pipeline. I'd get your footage into a valid production format before trying to do anything else with it.

Are there any other formats your game capture device use for recording? Do the captured QuickTime files playback smoothly on your computer when not played back through the game capture device?

I have to admit that I'm not much of a gamer and that I have never been asked to do any production work on a screen capture of a game even though I have worked on many commercials involving gaming devices. Maybe someone else has some experience with your particular device. I'd look on the device forums or web site to see if they have suggestions there.

• 5. Re: Video Jitter
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When I see mention of jitter that goes "up and down every frame", my first thought is that you're working with interlaced footage and the field order is being interpreted incorrectly.