5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 5:19 AM by photography_wandsworth

clone stamp switches to other tools?

photography_wandsworth Level 1

Photoshop cc. I am having trouble with the clone stamp tool, it will often change back to the tool I was using before it when I try to change the size of the brush. It will sometimes happen when I go to use the hand tool (space bar short cut) it will go into the hand tool navigator mode (space+H) and then jump back to the previously used tool when I let go? what is going on?

• 1. Re: clone stamp switches to other tools?
          Tom Di Maggio Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure I correctly understand your question. When you use the space bar (hand tool) to move around and you release it (space bar), it automatically goes back to the tool you used before hitting the space bar key. Is that what you meant ?

• 2. Re: clone stamp switches to other tools?

No that's not what I meant. I try to explain differently.

I'll press the clone stamp tool short cut (S) and then sample with (Alt), all works fine. However when I resize the brush ( [ and ] ), or  use step back in history (Ctrl+Alt+Z) or when I use the Hand tool short cut (Space bar) the clone stamp (S) will jump back to which ever tool I was using before the clone stamp tool (S).

To help identify my problem there is an odd action that happens when I use the Hand tool ( space bar) and the tool jumps jump back to which ever tool I was using before the clone stamp tool (S). The ( space bar) does not activate the normal hand tool, it acts the same tool short cut as when I use the ( space bar + H) short cut. But I am only pressing the (space bar)?

This is the only anomaly I have found other that the clone stamp (S) jumping back to the tool I was using before the clone stamp tool (S) and thought it might held identify my error.

• 3. Re: clone stamp switches to other tools?
              Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

Photography_Wandsworth,

Just to clarify, if you are using the Clone Stamp tool, then press and hold space to temporarily use the Hand tool, then release the spacebar you don't go back to the Clone Stamp tool, but rather the tool you were using prior to the Clone Stamp tool?

I'm getting a little bit confused about what you mean by using the space + H shortcut, as it isn't one that is a default shortcut in Photoshop.

• 4. Re: clone stamp switches to other tools?

Yes that it. It does not go back to the clone stamp tool (S), it goes to the tool I was using prior to the Clone Stamp tool. But not just with the (Space bar) hand tool short cut also with the resize the brush ( [ and ] ), and step back in history (Ctrl+Alt+Z).

I haven't set up a (space+H) short cut. so it must be a default? however it is not on the keyboard shortcut menu and so I cant turn it off and as I said before I am not holding (space+H) im just pressing (space) but for some reason it act like I am holding (space+H).

Try it out, I am using PS CC. (space+H) is a combination of hand tool and navigator window?

Also I have only described this part of the error in detail as it is the only other clue I have as to where I am going wrong. it does still happen with the resize the brush ( [ and ] ), and step back in history (Ctrl+Alt+Z). but  it just jumps back to the previously used tool.

thanks for any help you can think of

• 5. Re: clone stamp switches to other tools?

also I have found out its not (space+H) its just a holding (H)

http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/rare-photoshop-hand-tool-zoom-trick/64242

However Im not, I am just holding (space). also dont forget it happens too with

the resize the brush ( [ and ] ), and step back in history (Ctrl+Alt+Z)