4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 2:16 PM by A.T. Romano

I keep getting this error message when I try to open a project?

Leha23

Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatibe. Please use the appropriate application to open this project.

I have tryed to open old projects/start new and just keep getting this message.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: I keep getting this error message when I try to open a project?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Leha23

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Do you have or have you ever had any version of Premiere Pro on this computer? What is the file extension of the project that you are trying to open?

Are you opening a Premiere Elements new project or an existing Premiere Elements project that has been saved/closed/reopened?

How are you opening this project?

a. Adobe Folder, right clicking project.prel file there, selecting Open With, followed by the name of your Premiere Elements' version?

b. File Menu/Open Project?

c. Other

More later

ATR

• 2. Re: I keep getting this error message when I try to open a project?
            Leha23 Level 1

Version 8

Never had pro

I have tried creating new, opening old etc.

I have also tried opening them multiple ways like you stated.

Do you think the program is just old, I haven't used it in over a year?

Thanks so much for the help!!

• 3. Re: I keep getting this error message when I try to open a project?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the past, it seems that your error message has surfaced, and most have been with PrE 8. Perhaps this Adobe KB Article will be helpful: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: I keep getting this error message when I try to open a project?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Leha23

Thanks for the follow up. Let us go through the usual drill for users of Premiere Elements 8 (not too old from my point of view).

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program? That is very important for everyday performance of the version.

2. Do you have the automatic features of Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer turned off. Very important since they are major grabbers of computer resources. Both are in preferences, Background Rendering in the Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and AutoAnalyzer in the Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer options.

3. Let us try flushing the preferences...the path for Windows 8 64 bit would be

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not do the job, the delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs exists.

Make sure to be working from Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

I did not see anything in Hunt's link that cited your error message specifically. It appeared to be an overall troubleshooting article on damaged projects. I did not go down that path since you said that you are having the error message problem with new as well as old projects.

About 3 years ago, I worked with another Premiere Elements 8 user with this same error message. In that case, it spontaneous disappeared. When you get this error message, does it present with an OK or Continue button? This problem has been reported before here and with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. In each case, the core of the problem was left undefined.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR