8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 3:32 PM by the_wine_snob

multiplexing and streamclip.

mikejc111

I still have Prem EL 8.

A few years ago I heard someone mention streamclip on here, and all my problems were solved, though I thought I'd share some thoughts with you:

I followed the first instructions I read here which asked us to convert all of our MPEGs into DVCPRO, then bring them into the timeline. I had some problems doing this, as sometimes the dvd would play out of sync. I solved this by actually trusting Streamclip to convert things directly to DV. NO sync issues anymore, and the Pre Em timeline loves it. Smooth playback in the preview window and NO RED LINE above the timeline!.. YAY!.

And regardless of what your opinion might be, I can't see anyrthing wrong with the final result so I'm sticking with it.!!!!

First question: what do you think of this?

second - some material I get has 5.1 audio in standard def mpeg. My version only supports it when working in HD Newer versions of Pre El don't let you edit SD with 5.1 i suppose? I know DV can't have 5.1 sound but MPEG can.

Lastly - as I have no editor that can work keeping the 5.1 audio intact I've used a long method for this 5.1 process -

1st, use streamclip to demux - giving me a 5.1 mp3 ac3 of the sound.

2nd, use some process to produce a sound-free mpeg file (m2v is the result of that)

3rd, us IMAGOs little multiplexer widget to combine the two back again.

A bit convoluted but it does work. I just felt like mentioning that the multiplexer notoriously fails halfway through the process of combining the two - except when I use one and only one software to produce the m2v file (mpeg with no soundtrack at all), and that software is:

Premiere elements.

Other things boast they can demux but my re-multiplexer only works successfully on Prem El exports.

There thought I'd share that.

• 1. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mikejc111

The MPEG Streamclip suggested instructions that I have been suggestions for years for conversion to DV AVi standard or widescreen are (as excerpted from what I wrote when talking about converting VOBs to DV AVI):

For now, for troubleshooting purposes, convert the problematic VOBs to DV AVI with the free Prism converter (if 4:3, not 16:9) or MPEG Streamclip (if 4:3 or 16:9).

http://www.squared5.com/

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

The setup for MPEG Streamclip needs some decision making

a. MPEG Streamclip + QuickTime Alternative 1.81 which has the required MPEG2 Playback Component, but you need to uninstall your regular QuickTime to get that to work.

or

b. MPEG Streamclip + your regular QuickTime and you buy the required MPEG2 Playback Component from Apple.

For MPEG Streamclip

File Menu/Open Files

File Menu/Export to AVI

In the AVI/DivX Explorer Dialog:

Video Compressor: Apple DV/DVC PRO NTSC OR Apple DV PAL or Apple DVC PRO PAL, depending on your location.

Audio: Uncompressed

Frame Size 720 x 480 or 720 x 476, depending on NTSC or PAL location

Field Dominance: Lower Field First

ONLY if necessary, place a check mark next to Deinterlace Video

At the upper right of the dialog where it says Options, select either 4:3 or 16:9

Leave everything else as is for now.

Hit Make AVI.

For Prism

Output Folder: set your save location

Output Format: .avi

Encoder Options: Video Compressor DV Encoder NTSC (Direct Show) or PAL counterpart; Sound compressor DV audio; Sound 48000 Hz Stereo

Edit Options: check mark next to Resize Video and dot next to Shrink or Enlarge the video to the selected size (that is 720 x 480 or 720 x 576).

Hit Convert.

Alternatively you could look at using Field Options on the problematic clip on the Timeline before export (look at Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace). But the 100% cure for VOB issues appears to be their conversion to DV AVI, followed by bringing the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders.

Do you have expectations of exporting your Timeline content with 5.1 channel audio to a file with 5.1 channel audio. You cannot export Dolby Digital 5.1 channel from Premiere Elements (any version) as Dolby Digital 5.1 channel. There are limited opportunities to export it as Windows Media Audio 10 Professional 5.1 channel (See Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media/ with Presets = Cable Modem DSL and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab, make sure settings adjusts....Audio Windows Media Audio 10 Professional and multitude of choices including 192 kbps 48 kHz 5.1 channel 24 bit CBR). The whole trick to getting this to work is to use a project preset whose description includes 5.1 channel. It is a long story that I can convert into a quicker one if interested.

You might be able to do this under Share/Personal Computer/AVI with Presets = Microsoft AVI as audio uncompressed with channels = 5.1.

More later if wanted.

ATR

• 2. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, as a followup to ATR's comments on 5.1 SS Audio, how do you plan on delivering your finished Project, i.e. on a DVD-Video, via a file to be played on other computers, etc.?

That might factor into the Export/Share options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
              mikejc111 Level 1

Actually either a computer or a media/streaming player with an optical audio output on it. I am of a mind that physical media for the home is on the way out.

• 4. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
                mikejc111 Level 1

Mr Romano, Thanks for your thoughts above, though I am not experienceing codec issues anymore! The words I wrote above were in celebration!

• 5. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mikejc111

Always great news to learn of a successful workflow.

You sound like you are OK, but, if you need more information about 5.1 channel audio and Premiere Elements, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information. Everything should be fine then. Had it been DVD-Video, the problem would be how to Encode the 5.1 SS to DD 5.1 SS AC3, but for a deliverable file, you should be good to go.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Good to go with Premiere Elements, only if you work from a project preset with 5.1 channel included in the project preset's description.

Otherwise, when you get your chance for a 5.1 channel file export opportunity, you error out.

ATR

• 8. Re: multiplexing and streamclip.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As you had already covered that, I did not feel that the OP needed any followup.

I was just concerned that they might be planning to Burn to DVD-Video, and then, only a stereo mix-down would be Encoded onto the disc.

Hunt