10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2015 1:05 PM by acousticdi

How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?

--Anna--

Hello. I have created a 12 page booklet using InDesign CS6. My booklet is arranged in viewing order. (Page 1, 2 and 3 are connected, 4 and 5 are connected, etc. )

The printer my client is going with does not accept packaged InDesign Files, so everything has to be prepared before hand. So I need to export this booklet as a PDF to be ready for printing. (Page 1 and 12 are connecting, page 2 and 11 are connecting, etc. )

Can someone help me please? Surely I don't have to cut all my image spreads and manually re-arrange this?

Thank you for reading.

• 1. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
          MW Design Level 4

Don't know where you are located nor what type of printer your client is using. But imposition is typically the purview of the printer. I would check with the printer before spending any time on doing the imposition yourself.

Mike

• 2. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
            --Anna-- Level 1

I already discussed this with the printer. (Which is why I'm asking the question. ) They do not arrange the PDF themselves. They want the PDF already arranged. So I want to know if there's an easy way to do this, instead of cutting my images and re-arranging myself.

(It surprised me because I thought all printers just worked with packaged files. Now I know to arrange differently in the future, or ask a printer before beginning the project. )

• 3. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
              MW Design Level 4

You can use Print Booklet, select either a postscript file to distill or use the Acrobat Print Driver if available. Be sure to use the preview and look for the warning triangle for any paper fit (or other) issues.

Just a side note. Other than one particular off-set printer that once in a blue moon did some 2-color work for me through the 1990s, I have not ever needed to impose a PDF.

Take care, Mike

• 4. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                Sue@Jump Level 1

If you do need to set up a document as a 2-up, you can use this link from Cari's website (2004 - an oldie but a goodie) to help you create your back page and cover together...

Set the doc up with Facing pages, and when you export to PDF be sure to check the 'Spreads' box in the Export settings.

http://carijansen.com/2013/03/31/indesign-left-pages-spread-odd-numbers/

• 5. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

@ Sue,

This would be a disaster for printing. The spreads option in the export dialog creates single pages that are readers spreads, not imposed printer's spreads.

@ Anna,

What Mike said, but if you happen to be on Windows instead of Mac, you can print direct to PDF using the Adobe PDF virtual Printer that is installed by Acrobat Pro (you need Acrobat Pro for distiller, but on windows there is the virtual printer that does the save as .ps and distill in one step).

If you don't have Acrobat pro, there are some scripts you can use to impose the file in ID, then export to PDF.

• 6. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                    Sue@Jump Level 1

Hi Peter, Yes I realise this is not suitable for an imposed printers file!

This will give you the spread for the front and back cover - and then you would need to shuffle the rest of the pages manually in InDesign into the correct imposition before exporting to PDF - but agreed, it's not ideal practce and I haven't had to do that 15 years!

For any auto page numbering... you would have to Detach those from the Master before you shuffle the pages, then Print to PDF as Spreads...

The alternative is to leave your document set up in the correct page order, use the Print Booklet feature, choosing the correct imposition for either saddle stitch or perfect bound, and print to PDF, selecting Marks and Bleeds.

Anna, you are right and I would definately look for a printer who can impose single PDF's for your print job next time :-)

• 7. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sue@Jump wrote:

For any auto page numbering... you would have to Detach those from the Master before you shuffle the pages, then Print to PDF as Spreads...

Again, not going to work. Auto page numbers always display the logical page number assigned to the page, and shuffling without creating new sections rearranges boththe page content and the logical page numbers.

Dave Saunders long ago wrote a great script for doing two-up saddle-stitch impositions in ID where there is no content crossing the spine and no need for creep: http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip  This script works by creating a new file, then arranging the pages in the correct order, making a new section for each page and assigning the correct page number. This new file is then exported to PDF as spreads. Doing the shuffling manually is error-prone, so I'd recommend the script.

If you have content that crosses the gutter, then his newer script is better: Dave's CS3 Booklet Script This one places pages from the original into a new file as two-page spreads per document page.

There is also the IDImposer plugin, from Sterling Computing, that can do a lot of different patterns and more complex impositions: Overview | IDImposer

• 8. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                        Sue@Jump Level 1

You are absolutely right Peter... that will not work...

What was I thinking?! Or clearly I was not thinking...

It's been a long time since I have had to re-arrange an InDesign document...

Apologies for the misguided info Anna.

• 9. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

A couple of choices. Your best choice is to first export your ID document as single page PDF.

Go to this free online service to impose. I've never used it and haven't read their agreement, so you might be selling your first-born child.

http://www.imposeonline.com/

If you're on Windows, there's a plug-in that has a free trial you can use.

http://www.a-pdf.com/n-up-page/index.htm

There are some plug-ins mentioned on this page. I've heard good things about Bookbinder.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/PDF,_PostScript_and_Imposition_tools

There's a free trial of PDF Snake which is probably way more product than you need.

http://www.pdfsnake.com/

• 10. Re: How do I export my booklet as a 2-Up pdf?
                            acousticdi

Impose Online - Free Online Imposition Software

This worked fantastic for me, thank you Sandee.

I did a 20- page 5.5 x 8.5 to a 5 page 2-up saddlestitch 8.5 x 11. It's quick and downloads immediately and is FREE. Agreement seemed standard to me. I had to do it a couple of times to get the margins right. If your margins are set already, use 0!