8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 3:53 PM by ECBowen

Need help with buying laptop

SmartMoney123

HI everyone need a new laptop asap
      I want at least 32GB RAM
      and will be editing HD video and using multiple applications in Adobe Creative Suite
      I have the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P laptop on my radar.
      Thoughts?

Specs

32GB RAM (16GB could be acceptable if the use of CC/CS applications is light-to-medium duty, i.e. not heavy)
          Core i7 3rd of 4th gen CPU (i7-3740QM, i7-3840QM,
          1920x1080 or higher display
          Graphics: GeForce GTX-760m or higher, Quadro K1000 or higher
          7200rpm or SSD main drive
          USB 3.0 and/or eSATA ports for external storage
          HDMI and/or DisplayPort output for an external monitor
          Windows 8 Pro (or 7 Pro)

W530 configured with:

Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
          Windows 8 Pro 64
          15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display
          NVIDIA Quadro K1000M Graphics 2GB
          8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
          500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
          16GB mSATA Solid State Cache Drive
          1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

• 1. Re: Need help with buying laptop
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't help directly (desktop only) but these previous discussions may help

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4717373

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Need help with buying laptop
            Alex - DV411 Level 2
            I want at least 32GB RAM
            I have the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P laptop on my radar.
            Thoughts?

I really like Y510p but max RAM is 16GB - so it's a "no". Not a lot of laptops support 32GB, even fewer Ultrabooks, if any.

Most of your post is an exact copy from my private recommendation to someone. Sounds like we know each other.

• 3. Re: Need help with buying laptop
              UlfLaursen Level 2

You could get the Dell Precision M4700, it supports 32 GB:

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell_Precision_ M4700_Spec_Sheet.pdf

I have the M4600, but "only" with 16 GB, and it runc CS6 quite well. I took out the DVD drive and put in a drivecage for a second harddrive, and change the systemdrive for SSD as it was HDD from "birth".

Ulf

• 4. Re: Need help with buying laptop
                Mjambo

I have the earlier Thinkpad W520 with 16gig, SSD, Quadro2000M, i72920XM.

It is smooth as butter with 5.5...

• 5. Re: Need help with buying laptop
                  Kranex1 Level 1

3. UlfLaursen,

Aug 2, 2013 10:38 PM

You could get the Dell Precision M4700, it supports 32 GB:

Oh indeed it does and quite well may I add. The Precision line is custom made for editing tasks and are among the most powerful portable workstations you can buy.

Nevertheless, the W530 is also a good choice, as is the HP 8XXXw workstations.

• 6. Re: Need help with buying laptop
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

The Precision line is custom made for editing tasks

It is? (Don't think any of Tier 1 workstation systems are custom-made for editing, or they'd sport GeForce cards rather than Quadros, and offer an option not to install MS Office on them among other things. In fact, it they did, they'd made it easier to find their laptops that fit the above requirements, e.g. show me all the laptops supporting 32GB RAM, i7 CPUs, FHD resolutions. I tried... Which is one of the reasons ADK, Puget, Sager have an edge over Tier 1.)

I like M4700, especially that it's configurable with three internal drives, it's just harder to buy in a "ready-to-ship" configuration with the specs above. The OP wanted something that could be ordered and delivered quickly for under $2K, and this is where W530 came on top.

• 7. Re: Need help with buying laptop
                      Kranex1 Level 1
                      6. Alex Gerulaitis,

Aug 7, 2013 8:16 PM    in reply to Kranex1 

The Precision line is custom made for editing tasks

It is? (Don't think any of Tier 1 workstation systems are custom-made for editing, or they'd sport GeForce cards rather than Quadros, and offer an option not to install MS Office on them among other things. In fact, it they did, they'd made it easier to find their laptops that fit the above requirements, e.g. show me all the laptops supporting 32GB RAM, i7 CPUs, FHD resolutions. I tried... Which is one of the reasons ADK, Puget, Sager have an edge over Tier 1.)

I like M4700, especially that it's configurable with three internal drives, it's just harder to buy in a "ready-to-ship" configuration with the specs above. The OP wanted something that could be ordered and delivered quickly for under $2K, and this is where W530 came on top.

I speak from experience sir. So I can assure you my statement is valid. The Precision line caters to a group of professionals who tend to prefer the reliability and stability of Quadro. The M4700 is available at the aboue price.

Also, all Precisions can accommodate up to 32GB RAM and i7 CPU, as well as 10 bit Premiere Color monitor (on some models) and 3-4 internal drives.  In this case, the only "edge" from others, is a step down.

• 8. Re: Need help with buying laptop
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Precision series are I7 Gen 3 or Ivy. The Clevo series are Gen 4 Haswell. That is not a step down.

Eric

ADK