4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 7:05 AM by ECBowen

Hardware Advice Precision T5600

Mbro_Coll

I was hoping I could get some advice, we are setting up a video edit suite within our college. We have had some advice from lecturers and resellers but I wanted to check with people who actually use the software what they think of what we are getting.

We have been reccomeneded by Dell a T5600

Processor : Two Intel Xeon Processor E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.30GHz Turbo, 15MB, 7.2 GT/s)

1 Memory : 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM

1 Hard Drive : 256GB 2.5inch Serial ATA Solid State Drive

1 Additional Hard Drive : 500GB 2.5inch Serial ATA (7.200 Rpm) Hard Drive

1 HDD Controller : Integrated Intel chipset controller

1 HDD Controller : Integrated Intel Controller, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0/1/5/10 (4 ports)

1 HDD Configuration : C6a 2.5inch SATA / SSD BOOT, plus 1 additional 2.5inch SATA HDD, no

PERC card

1 Optical Drive : 8x Slimline DVD+/-RW Drive

1 4 GB NVIDIA Quadro K5000 (2DP & 1DVI-I & 1DVI-D) (2DP-DVI & 2DVI-VGA adapter)

1 Mice : Dell Optical (Not Wireless), Scroll USB (3 buttons scroll) Black Mouse

1 Keyboard : UK/Irish (QWERTY) Dell KB212-B QuietKey USB Keyboard Black

1 Raid Type : No RAID

The main part of the teaching will be on Premiere Pro. My main sticking point is the K5000 graphics cards, other manufaturers have reccomended the K2000 but i am thinking if we can afford it go for the better.

We have another reseller reccomending dual 2000's, would this be better for Video editing than a single 2000. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

• 1. Re: Hardware Advice Precision T5600
          JEShort01 Level 4

Gary,

In the Dell dual-Xeon choices, I much prefer the T7600 as it is much more expandable in the drive area (up to 8 drives, 4 x 2.5" and 4 x 3.5") and really does not cost too much more. It also has more room for expansion cards, slots for numeraous RAM possibilities, and a beefier power supply.

Also, I would strongly suggest upgrading to 32GB of RAM; Adobe will use a good bit, plus Win7 64-bit is pretty effective at using what your apps are not for drive caching. Dual Xeon Dell's also seem to like 8 sticks of matched RAM.

Hopefully your college's policies will let you purchase a video card on a separate purchase order!

The Quadro cards are overpriced!

The nVidia GTX cards work very well with Premiere Pro, which seems to love both the # of cuda cores and memory bandwidth. Good video choices include:

GTX 680 - for $500, it pretty much provides the same rendering oooomph as the K5000 (same # cuda cores, GTX has slightly faster memory throughput)

GTX 780 - around $750, this would be my choice - fast, fast, fast!

GTX Titan - around $1000, faster still; I am currently playing with one in a T7600 and the DVD render speed is amazing (2688 cuda cores, 288.4 GB/s memory vs. 1536 cores / 173 GB/s memory for the K5000; K2000 quadro has a measly 384 cuda cores and 64 GB/s memory!!!)

If you can buy "non Dell" parts, and you go with a T7600 solution, then adding some for 1TB or larger 7200rpm 64MB cache drives would be a good idea as well. Unfortunately, Dell seems to charge too high of a premium for the same drives you can purchase at Newegg.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Hardware Advice Precision T5600
            UlfLaursen Level 2

I agree with Jim.

I got the T5400 some years back, and it was quite limited with expansion fdor drives, but it still runs fine, though. If I were to get another one today, it would for sure be T7600 because of the space.

Ulf

• 3. Re: Hardware Advice Precision T5600
              Kranex1

Dual 2000s won't help in editing since you can't combine them. The k5000 seems a good choice (I have the mobile edition), but whether you need the precision is a decision you will have to make on your own.

Unlike GTX (gaming cards) Quadros are certified to be stable and accurate in a variety of applications including Adobe products. Since this is a school where wear and tear will be heavy, I recommend the pro card variety.

One more thing you should know, the updated graphic cards from Nvidia (K5100) are about to be released so you many want to investigate whether or not those cards are available yet. At double the GB capatiy (8GB vs 4GB) its well worth waiting for.

ps. You will also need a RAID array (for HD) and also get a blu-ray burner. At only a couple hundred dollars it wont' break the bank and at least one of your students will thank you for it.

• 4. Re: Hardware Advice Precision T5600
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Failure rate on higher end Geforce cards is extremely low. It's actually lower than the Quadro cards. Since they have better performance by far especially with the Titan and the ram space of 4 to 6GB I would not look at a Quadro without a 10bit color workflow.

Eric

ADK