17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 8:49 AM by Jim_Simon

Video replay Issues CS6

Steve736 Level 1

Greetings all,

I am currently evaluating Premiere Pro CS6 and would love to go ahead and purchase.... here comes the but...

I am editting HD video 1920 x 1080p originally shot on a JVC GYHM750 so .MOV are beasties it creates. The video plays without any issues in a range of other PC based players

After starting PPCS6 and dropping a clip into a sequence (using the technique of dragging the clip onto the "new item" icon), the clip loads up with a solid yellow bar so I do not exptect problems. However, the video is hesitant (audio OK) and unusable.  Eventually (after a few minutes) begins to behave and play normally.  If I add other video to the timeline, the same problem occurs but eventually, the replay is smooth.

Adding transitions or effects (colour balance, etc) the yellow bar turns RED - even though the Mercury Playback Engine option is enabled....

I thought, maybe, the Firewire 800 was not quick enough but I do not think this is the issue since a) other players work without issue and b) Premiere Pro usually begins to work as it should after a time.

This is driving me nuts...

System is as follows

P6T motherboard with i7 and 24GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 580 adaptor

Imagery stored on external Firewire 800 G-Tech device (RAID 0)

Internal SATA 7200 drives used as scratch

Quicktime Pro installed

Matrox MX02LE Plus installed (with latest CS6 drivers)

Some insight would be gratefully received.

I had similar issues (though worse) with CS5.5 so I think it is a PC set up issue..

Cheers

Steve

• 1. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Try moving your media files to an internal drive

instead of the firewire external.

• 2. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
            Steve736 Level 1

Hi Joe,

Tried that... I have an SSD in there ... no different...  According to the specs, Firewire 800 should work just fine - particularly if the storage on the end of it is a RAID 0 configured beasite... Also all the other video players I use play the source files without any issues...

If it is a transfer rate issue, then I would expect Premiere never to work well... but give it time and begins to (almost) work OK..

One other point.. I have also tried to load up standard def video and it is the same story...

Thanks for the suggestion though..

• 3. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

According to the specs, Firewire 800 should work just fine -

Despite any specs you've seen, firewire 800 does not perform that well

when using 1080 media as you described in your first post.

I have found that eSATA is the only efficient external media source.

I have also tried to load up standard def video and it is the same story...

If you are having the same trouble with SD, you have a bigger problem.

I had similar issues (though worse) with CS5.5 so I think it is a PC set up issue..

You're probably right about that.

• 4. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>shot on a JVC

I have one saved discussion that MAY help - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/738982

• 5. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                  Steve736 Level 1

Hi there John

Thanks for the suggestion but this is not a codec issue.. but thoughts have gelled into another line of enquiry.. perhpas you have thoughts on it?

Cheers

Steve

• 6. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                    Steve736 Level 1

A general question about this....

If imagery was written and read back uncompressed, I would understand the the crucial nature of available bandwidth and striping, etc.... But imagery in instances where imagery is stored compressed, an HD stream (1920 x 1080 @ 24fps etc) requires a modest 60Mb/sec... So what is it about NLE's that making striping so essential?

All I can think of is NLE's demand data on a just in time basis and so require high burst speeds.... is this right?

• 7. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                      Steve736 Level 1

The saga continues:

External disk is now a G-Speed RAID over eSATA configured as RAID10  If PPro does not regard 3Gb/s as quick enough.....

Video remains unusable with frame updates about once every 1/2 second.  Get this though... the frame counter increments normally.  Also, if the video is paused and I advance one frame at a time, the frame counter advances but the video does not.  Audio presents no problems....

I have had no answers to my earlier question...

My next course of action is a bit on the nuclear side... I a complete S/W rebuild of the PC....

Oh joy :-)

• 8. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                        DavidROfficer6198 Level 1

I know Premiere Pro CS6 had a heck of a time keeping up with AVCHD video and i suspect that they haven't fixed it in PPro CC.

Funny thing is that scrubbing and the timeline updated just fine in CS5.5 with no playback editing issues.

• 9. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I know Premiere Pro CS6 had a heck of a time keeping up with AVCHD video and i suspect that they haven't fixed it in PPro CC.

The AVCHD problem only affected spanned clips, takes longer than 20 minutes or so.  Premiere Pro CC did not have the problem, and Adobe just released the 6.0.4 patch to correct the issue in CS6.

• 10. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                            Steve736 Level 1

Interesting stuff regarding AVCHD... and it is good to know Adobe have released a patch to sort the problem... My issue, unfortunately was not with AVCHD... To make matters worse, both PPro CS5.5 and 6 exhibited the problem.

I use the past tense with great caution here because I may have found the solution,  I went through the hassle of of a complete system rebuild... and all now seems well.  Although a return to 'normal service' is a huge relief, not knowing what caused the problem cast a shadow over it all.  Then I had a thought... If PPro uses flash to display video then I may know what casued all the hassle.

For a recent job, I used Camtasia.. Not a bad wee tool but it turns off hardware acceleration when capturing video...  Could this be the cause?  Certainly, it would explain why scrubbing seemed to work OK with PPro and the smooth running timecode AND, critically, the rubbish video.

It is easy enough to turn hardware acceleration off and on in flash but I have yet had the nerve to see if is cause of the original problem :-)

Any thoughts?

• 11. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                              SpareWheel Level 2

Hi Steve (OP).

This seems like an all-too-frequent experience when it comes to Quicktime (.mov) files, no matter how much advice about burst speed, access times and the rest of the hardware what-nots telling you your system just needs a "tweak" or something better.

Check out this very recent thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1277404?tstart=

You can see the hardware specs in that scenario; but it makes no difference what you have, as Premiere Pro is slugged by the Adobe QT 32bit server it employs to "support" QuickTime files.

Have a look at the Performance in your Windows Task Manager - CPU, Disk and Memory. This should let you see what is happening when you hit the play button - let it run for about 30 seconds and see the Task Manager information.

In CPU you will see the Adobe Q32bit server active. Also, see the Disk access times. I put in 4 X disks in RAID 0, with recorded disk access times of less than 5ms and average read times of almost 500MB/s and it still stuttered in QuickTime playback. My RAM and CPU where simply taking a stroll in the park - no effeort at all - but stutter it does with QuickTIme (ProRes in my case).

Q: Adding transitions or effects (colour balance, etc) the yellow bar turns RED - even though the Mercury Playback Engine option is enabled....

A: This is separate from the player hesitant issue you report - likely you have used an unaccelerated effect in the timeline - yes, it will turn the timeline bar red where the clip is with that particular effect. Check out the symbols to the right of the effect name in the Effects panel - just render that particular section and all should be okay.

In the Color Correction section for example: RGB Curves will drop on to the timeline and NOT turn the timeline red with Mercury Playback Engine enabled - RGB Curves is an "accelerated" effect. Some other effects in Color Correction WILL turn the clip timeline red because they are "unaccelerated" (designed to work with the Mercury Engine I guess).

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

If PPro uses flash to display video

It doesn't.

• 13. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                                  Steve736 Level 1

Hi there Drystonewall,

Thanks for such an informative response... My spirits were deflated somewhat by your suggestion to use the Task Manager... I dunno.. I have been using PCs and computers of al shapes and sizes for 30 years and THAT idea just did not occur.... Sometimes I think the space between my ears is just that... space...

My spirits were raised again by your reference to Earl Grey Tea and toast.. the cure for all ills.  (Yes I did follow the link you kindly provided)  You describe a similar issue... one that may have common threads but some notable differences too.  The biggest difference was the presentation of the video... ok for a while and goes down hill... for me, it was a frame rate of 3 frames per second.... The frame counter however, incremented normally.  One other strange thing and this, on reflection, indicates a polar opposite the problems you have experienced, after a while, the video would play normally...  Arrgh!  

The presence of 32-bit applications in the heart of PPro is troubling... just asking for trouble.  I will watch out for it when I next use PPro..

Many thanks for your heads up regarding using accelerated and non accelerated effects..  The penny dropped on this issue a wee while after posting to the Forum...

As I mentioned in my previous post, since rebuilding the PC, PPro seems to be behaving but I will do as you suggest.. a sensible thing to do anyway..

Thanks once again for your post and I hope you find a speedy cure for your own hassles.. Even better if Adobe pitch in and do the 'support' thing :-)

• 14. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                                    Steve736 Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply!!  In a way that is good and bad... If falsh was used, then I could see how all the trouble could happen.  Now, I have no idea why PPro became as much use as a chocolate fireguard...

Drystonewall gave some useful insight tht I wll follow but I never feel too comfortable when after fixing something, I am no wiser what caused it to break in the first place...

Cheers

Steve

• 15. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                                      Steve736 Level 1

Hi there Joe,   Apologies for the tardy reply...  I have replaced the Firewire with a G-Speed es running in a RAID10 config... As I mentioned in an earlier post, this alone made difference to the problem... A complete PC rebuild, however, seems to have sorted the issue.

I would still love to know why it all went to pot though...

Cheers

Steve

• 16. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                                        Steve736 Level 1

Hi there Drystonewall,

OK... I downloaded a test utility to measure the I/O rate from the external eSATA storage I use...  The max rate was about 140MB/sec.. CPU usage was a leisurely 14% with about 8GB of the available RAM (24GB) in use... Hardly breaking a sweat...

Jim Simon answered my question about Flash and PPro but after considereing tihings, I realised I did not ask the right question... What I should have asked is if, while viewing a video using flash, hardware acceleration was disabled, would this affect other applications like PPro?

Any thoughts?

I suppose I could try it myself.... but not before taking an image of the HD :-)

Cheers

Steve

• 17. Re: Video replay Issues CS6
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

while viewing a video using flash, hardware acceleration was disabled, would this affect other applications like PPro?

No.