2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 8:18 AM by KevinAtkins

Footnotes and baseline grids.

KevinAtkins Level 1

I'm currently working on a document with numerous footnotes.

No matter what options I choose, I cannot get the footnotes to align to the document's baseline grid (see screenshot).

Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 14.35.29.png

The buttons to enable and disable it are active and clickable, but make no difference.

This is a real problem, as the whole consistency of the document depends upon the grid layout.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: Footnotes and baseline grids.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't do a lot with footnotes in my work, but to the best of my knowledge they do not adhere to the grid alignment settings, and that's probably a good thing. Most times, as seems to be the case in your screen shot, the footnotes use a smaller type, and having them aligned to the same grid would create overly wide spacing and push more of the body text to the next page in many cases. Whether the footnotes are aligned to the grid or not shouldn't cause any change in how the body text looks, so I'm not sure why this is a problem.

• 2. Re: Footnotes and baseline grids.
            KevinAtkins Level 1

Hi Peter.

Yes, I know what you mean. Footnote text does indeed tend to be smaller, but overly wide spacing tends to be caused more by poor typographic choice, than a lack of grid alignment.

Aligning footnotes to the grid doesn't change the body text as such, but it does lead to variable whitespace between footnotes and body text, which can look inconsistent across a whole document, particulary design-led or typographically rich documents.

I've faked it by using a fixed leading to match the document – something I should of thought of before!

Unfortunately I've found a bigger problem with the Footnotes feature: the rule above feature. I'll post this elsewhere though.

Thanks again Peter.