1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2006 1:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

Webpage Gallery Quality Issues

MatchNL
      I've thrown together a gallery using onClick commands in fireworks and slices so that larger images display in a box on the screen when you click the smaller thumbnails.

Everything works fine except, as most people know, gif files are of significantly less quality (256 colors) as opposed to JPEG which have a much smoother transitioning for images. When I export the Fireworks gallery to HTML all the images are saved as gifs. I dont mind the thumbnails being low quality, but the larger images need to have smooth transitioning of colors.

I was curious if there was a way to make the fireworks gallery display JPEGs instead of GIFs after you export it. The quality of the images is noticable.

Or, do you know of an alternative method to make a decent-looking webpage gallery that preserves the quality by using only jpegs?

Im assuming that using firework's method for making a gallery wont permit me to do this. It's my understanding that, since the application's commands cause the larger images to be cycled based on their frame number, that the code is actually just restricting an animation (eg. gif) by frames. Thus, by making the images a JPEG, it would remove the ability to cycle the images in the gallery when clicked. Maybe I'm wrong? I wonder if I go into the images folder (that fireworks creates) and manually replace the large images with JPEG replicas of the same dimensions, if that would solve the issue? I doubt it.

Any help or alternative knowledge would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Webpage Gallery Quality Issues
          Level 7
          You might check your export settings in the Optimize Panel.

alex

MatchNL wrote:
          > I've thrown together a gallery using onClick commands in fireworks and slices
          > so that larger images display in a box on the screen when you click the smaller
          > thumbnails.
          >
          > Everything works fine except, as most people know, gif files are of
          > significantly less quality (256 colors) as opposed to JPEG which have a much
          > smoother transitioning for images. When I export the Fireworks gallery to HTML
          > all the images are saved as gifs. I dont mind the thumbnails being low quality,
          > but the larger images need to have smooth transitioning of colors.
          >
          > I was curious if there was a way to make the fireworks gallery display JPEGs
          > instead of GIFs after you export it. The quality of the images is noticable.
          >
          > Or, do you know of an alternative method to make a decent-looking webpage
          > gallery that preserves the quality by using only jpegs?
          >
          > Im assuming that using firework's method for making a gallery wont permit me
          > to do this. It's my understanding that, since the application's commands cause
          > the larger images to be cycled based on their frame number, that the code is
          > actually just restricting an animation (eg. gif) by frames. Thus, by making the
          > images a JPEG, it would remove the ability to cycle the images in the gallery
          > when clicked. Maybe I'm wrong? I wonder if I go into the images folder (that
          > fireworks creates) and manually replace the large images with JPEG replicas of
          > the same dimensions, if that would solve the issue? I doubt it.
          >
          > Any help or alternative knowledge would be appreciated.
          >