6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 4:25 PM by S Kendall

How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?

S Kendall Level 1

I shoot weddings with multiple cameras.  For shooting a lot of the pre-ceremony and reception footage, I have the ability to jam the cameras so that they have the same free-run timecode.  So, as the day goes on I am recording some shots with CAM A and my other camera operator is recording shots elsewhere with CAM B.  Naturally, at times both cameras are shooting simultaneously and from time-to-time we are shooting the same stuff from different angles.  But, being a wedding it is impossible to slap a slate every time we want to sync up shots.  So, I'm looking for an easy way to sync all of the shots from the day using the timecode.

I think this would work best, if someone knows a way to do it: 

Let's just assume that CAM A shoots the first shot of the day.  What I'd like to be able to do is create a timeline with the same start time as the first clip from CAM A, drop all of the clips from CAM A onto one track and be able to line up the clips by their timecode to the timeline's timecode. Then, do the same for all of CAM B's clips on Track 2.  So, I would end up with 2 tracks, CAM A's clips on Track 1, CAM B's clips on Track 2 and gaps when neither camera was shooting. 

I know I could choose all of CAM A's clips and make a multi-camera sequence by timecode which would add the gaps between the clips, but this also puts each clip on a different track.  It's also very difficult to then try and line up CAM B's clips with CAM A's.  There is a way to do it by nesting the multi-cam sequences, but it's way too complex and doesn't make for easy editing since you can't see the individual clips.

The only way I've figured out to achieve what I'm wanting to do is to make a timeline that has the same start time as CAM A's first clip and manually drop each clip, one-by-one, onto the timeline using its start timecode as my reference.  As you can imagine, with several hundred clips per camera, this is very time-consuming.

If anyone knows a better way to achieve what I'm looking for, please let me know.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?
          shooternz Level 6

Post your free run timecode into the Sequence (Timeline) as per the camera.

Therefore the cameras (clips) have timecode reference to the timeline.

Use the Timecode Boxes (type in the TC) to locate those positions and use Clip Markers from clips in the the Source Window to align clips with sequence.

Hopefully thats what you want?

• 2. Re: How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?
            S Kendall Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Use the Timecode Boxes (type in the TC) to locate those positions and use Clip Markers from clips in the the Source Window to align clips with sequence.

I'm not sure what you mean by Timecode Boxes.  Can you explain this a little better?  Are you just saying to drop each clip manually onto the timeline where it needs to go?  If so, that's the solution I'm currently using.  I was hoping there was a quicker, more automated way to do it.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

What I'd like to be able to do is create a timeline with the same start time as the first clip from CAM A, drop all of the clips from CAM A onto one track and be able to line up the clips by their timecode to the timeline's timecode.

I don't believe that can be done.  I think the best you'll get is a multicam sequence for every single instance of both cameras shooting the same thing.

It's a lot of work, man.

• 4. Re: How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?
                S Kendall Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

I don't believe that can be done.  I think the best you'll get is a multicam sequence for every single instance of both cameras shooting the same thing.

I was afraid of that.  You'd think Adobe would have made it possible to sync clips to a timeline using their timecode and align them with the timeline's timecode.

• 5. Re: How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Even with that feature, though, you'd end up with an eight hour sequence.

It'd be a better feature request, I think, if you could designate selected clips as Camera 1, then other clips as Camera 2, etc.  Then have PP create a sequence with all timecodes synced to each other, each camera's clips on their corresponding track.  This would eliminate gaps where nothing was shot, which you'd get a lot of syncing the cams to a sequence timecode.

• 6. Re: How can I sync free-run clips to a timeline by timecode?
                    S Kendall Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

Even with that feature, though, you'd end up with an eight hour sequence.

That's true, but I could take out the gaps pretty easily.  Plus, I usually separate the day into sections anyway, such as Pre-Ceremony, Post-Ceremony, Reception, etc. 

Jim Simon wrote:

It'd be a better feature request, I think, if you could designate selected clips as Camera 1, then other clips as Camera 2, etc.  Then have PP create a sequence with all timecodes synced to each other, each camera's clips on their corresponding track.  This would eliminate gaps where nothing was shot, which you'd get a lot of syncing the cams to a sequence timecode.

That's true, but beggars can't be choosers and I'd be happy just being able to sync clips to the timeline by timecode.  I did submit the feature request though.  Thanks for the link!