6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 2:29 PM by gpapcun

Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue

gpapcun Level 1

In PremPro I am trying to make text track dialogue. The dialogue is poor audio quality because it was recorded in the course of surveillance. Besides, it contains repetitions, unintelligible sections, etc. The best approach I have found so far is to use rolling titles, but there must be better ways. What would you suggest?

Thanks, George

BTW, my color dropper has disappeared from the titler. And  I have never seen the color picker. Can you help?

• 1. Re: Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I am trying to make text track dialogue.

Huh?

• 2. Re: Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I prefer to use After Effects for subtitles that change constantly.

See this example:

I create the titles over the video in After Effects, then I hide the video and just use dynamic Link to put the titles into Premiere Pro.

As for the color picker, is your text fill set to solid? There are a couple of modes that do not include the eye-dropper.

• 3. Re: Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Ahhhh, subtitles.

• 4. Re: Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue
                gpapcun Level 1

That looks good. Can After Effects subtitles be made to crawl or roll?

• 5. Re: Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Yes. Easy. I had to check to see how long a crawl I could enter. I ended up putting all of this into one crawl:

"This is a test. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, pro mutat labore definitionem eu. Ex simul tantas pri, cum adhuc dicam argumentum cu. Ad nisl persius pericula eum, ex labores epicurei vim. Dolor antiopam posidonium duo ei, cu ferri euripidis efficiendi qui. Ei qui qualisque interpretaris, at pro habeo ocurreret, ea noster recteque tractatos pri. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, pro mutat labore definitionem eu. Ex simul tantas pri, cum adhuc dicam argumentum cu. Ad nisl persius pericula eum, ex labores epicurei vim. Dolor antiopam posidonium duo ei, cu ferri euripidis efficiendi qui. Ei qui qualisque interpretaris, at pro habeo ocurreret, ea noster recteque tractatos pri. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, pro mutat labore definitionem eu. Ex simul tantas pri, cum adhuc dicam argumentum cu. Ad nisl persius pericula eum, ex labores epicurei vim. Dolor antiopam posidonium duo ei, cu ferri euripidis efficiendi qui. Ei qui qualisque interpretaris, at pro habeo ocurreret, ea noster recteque tractatos pri. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, pro mutat labore definitionem eu. Ex simul tantas pri, cum adhuc dicam argumentum cu. Ad nisl persius pericula eum, ex labores epicurei vim. Dolor antiopam posidonium duo ei, cu ferri euripidis efficiendi qui. Ei qui qualisque interpretaris, at pro habeo ocurreret, ea noster recteque tractatos pri.."

It took it all and looked like I could go even a little longer if I needed to. The smaller the text, the longer it can be. This was tested at 50px which might be a little smaller than I would use for a subtitle on a full screen 1920X1080 video. You might find that you want to go with 100px if it is going to be viewed at less than full screen, or on a small screen.

To make it crawl I just animated the position parameter under "Transform".

• 6. Re: Text to Track Surveillance Dialogue
                    gpapcun Level 1

Thank you very much. Frankly, not too long after I asked, I realized it was a dumb question (and there really are dumb questions, in spite of what profs sometime say).