7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 12:26 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem to import MOV files

Media import

Hi,

I have a problem to import mov files from my hard disk (coming from a Casio Exelim ZR100 @ 1920x1080, 30 pic/sec. 44kHz, codec: H.264/AVC ). I tried different project setups - doesn`t work . I get a common failure message. MTS file import works...

System Win 8

Premiere Elements last version, all updates done

Error Message:

error message.jpg

nase30

• 1. Re: Problem to import MOV files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if it will help with your exact problem, but I do have one saved message about Casio problems

Casio http://forums.adobe.com/thread/901160

Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What are the details of what is inside the MOV file?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem to import MOV files
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Media import

A Google Translate of your error message says that you are experiencing a generic importer error; consequently, not an editing nor exporting issue.

If you are using the Casio ZR 100, the video involved would be characterized as

1920 x 1080 @ 30 frames per second (progressive)

Video compression = AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264)

Audio compression = IMA-ADPCM (stereo)

File Extension = .mov

On the Premiere Elements side you have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 (assumed 64 bit).

I have downloaded one of these files from your camera brand/model from an online source.

Windows 7 64 bit Premiere Elements 11. No importing or other problem with video or audio components of the file.

Windows 8 64 bit Premiere Elements 11. No importing or other problem with video or audio components of the file.

Based on my findings, I have no evidence to make a generalization that there is a problem with this Casio video and Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit.

So that leads us to look for other factors. Top of the list is the version of QuickTime that you have installed on your computer. (As John T. Smith has already asked and is awaiting a reply on that. If you have the latest version of QuickTime installed, then I would uninstall it and then reinstall it.

What type of problem are you report

"it worked before but not now"

or

"it never worked before"

What might be interesting to look at. If you rename just the file extension of your Casio AVCHD.mov from .mov to .mts, .m2t, or .m2ts can you then import the problem file?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problem to import MOV files
              Media import Level 1

Hi John,

thank you for your quickl reply. I installed a new version of quick time and it works - it cost me so much time for trials and the solution is so easy.... thank you again.

nase30

• 4. Re: Problem to import MOV files
                Media import Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano,

thank you as well - as written before, new version of quicktime fixed the problem.

nase30

• 5. Re: Problem to import MOV files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Media import

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that new version of QuickTime was the answer to your issue.

But, out of curiosity, I would ask "Was the solution updating the version of QuickTime you already had on your computer which had Premiere Elements installed on it or was it that you did not have any QuickTime installed on your computer when you ran into the issue involving Premiere Elements import of your .mov?

Continued success.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem to import MOV files
                    Media import Level 1

In the explorer view, the icons looks like quick time files. I tried to uninstall the quick time version according to your recommendation but was unable to find it - so I guess for what ever reason it was already uninstalled or somehow deleted. I downloaded the current version and it works...

nase30

• 7. Re: Problem to import MOV files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Media import

Thanks for the follow up message.

Much appreciated.

ATR