23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 7:53 PM by PierreLouisBeranek

Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background

cscooper2013 Level 2

Here's a feature request I've submitted.  If you agree, please submit your request to:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish/

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:

Background Auto Save

How would you like the feature to work?

Auto-save would work just as it does today, except it would work as a background process, as it already does in Photoshop (without the Autosave popup getting in the way of the edit).

Why is this feature important to you?

The current autosave feature is terrifice and expected in any application today, but the current autosave popup dialog is useless.  It only has a "Cancel" button.  What's the point?  I can't imagine when I would ever want to cancel an auto-save.  And let's say I *did* want to cancel.  The dialog is only on screen for a second or so.  That's not enough time for user interaction, but it is just enough time for my work to be interupted, and for me to potentially hit the enter key as I go to Render something at precisely the same time.

• 1. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's a better one.

"Lightworks saves every keystroke, every edit, every change you make in your project. Not only does Lightworks save your project continuously, but it also saves incremental backups of each Edit. You can decide how often and how many versions are kept. Peace of mind that you can return to any point and not lose any of your hard work."

Not just a 'background process', but a continuous background process, saving every change we make as we make it.

• 2. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
            cscooper2013 Level 2

That's interesting, but overkill for my needs.  I'd be happy with a minimum effort expended on this one.  I don't imagine a Background auto-save would take more than a day or two to knock out (since they have similar existing code over in the Photoshop department).  I've set my auto-save to save every 5 minutes and that darn popup just keeps jumping out there like a speedbump.

But speaking of "recording every keystroke", there's a macro recording feature I've been meaning to submit...

• 3. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
              Jim_Simon Level 8

overkill for my needs.

But I'd wager very welcome by the majority, more so than just making it an 'occasional' background process.  So if we want a change, let's get it done in the best way the first time.

"There’s nothing more depressing than losing your last edit. You’ve spent hours fine-tuning a cut and the power fails or your hard drive dies. We’ve been there and we know what it’s like. So that’s why we [need] an AutoSave feature that is as good as it gets. "

• 4. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                cscooper2013 Level 2

Yea, that's fine.  If that's what the majority needs (is it?  More voices, please.), then it ought to be implemented that way.  However, if all of those continuous database/xml writes are going to slow down the responsiveness within Premiere, in any way, hopefully it's an option that can be turned off—along with that pesky dialog box.

Jim Simon wrote:

"...You’ve spent hours fine-tuning a cut and the power fails..."

You should be using a good UPS.  If a lightning bolt destroys your UPS, you likely have bigger problems than a lost edit. 

• 5. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I use a UPS on everything electronic in my house, left over from the days of living in one of the lightning capitals of the USA. But I have to admit, they draw power for no reason at all and seriously increase the electric bill.

As much as I would like an autosave feature that does its work in the background, and allows me to save a new file every five minutes, what happens when the files include Warp Stabilization or any other feature that turns the file from a relatively small file to a very large file? Saving too often on a very large file might cause more problems than it solves. Or did the recent fixes eliminate the large files well enough not to matter?

One possible solution to that would be to limit the amount of storage space allowed for Auto Saves, on a per project basis. Limit it to, let's say 10GB, as a default and let people decide if/when it needs to be increased. That way people with storage issues can deal with them appropriately.

(I just checked and I have over 3TB available on the drive I store my autosaves on, but that's just me.)

• 6. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

if all of those continuous database/xml writes are going to slow down the responsiveness within Premiere

A valid concern, given the current saving method.  But Lightworks makes it work.  I feel Adobe can, too.

You should be using a good UPS.

Agreed.  But 'good' one's ain't cheap.  (Online are the good ones.)

• 7. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

'good' one's ain't cheap.

You ain't just whistling Dixe!

When I got my new PC I put it on a 550A UPS just like I have always done before. The PC kept shutting down. Frustrated, I called Eric at ADK. He politely made me aware that he had put a 850W power supply into my PC and that the chintzy little UPS I was using wasn't going to come close to handling the requirements.

Fortunately I live relatively close to a Fry's which just happened to have a APC 1500 on sale that week. More than three times the cost of the Costco UPS I had, but well worth it in the long run.

My monitors and al other external electronics are on the 550A. Only the PC is on the 1500A.

As for CPU cycles and hard drive time to save every action in Premiere Pro? I think we have enough CPU cycles in a modern PC and you can always add another drive for autosaves if you can't share your cache drive.

• 8. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                        shooternz Level 6

Maybe totally wrong here (because I dont use autosave at all)...but I thought background autosave was part of CS7 update..1

Also thought it did this only when Premiere was not playing back.

Only reason I am thinking this is because I considered using it once I knew that it was BG and not during playback.

I am not using it yet though.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new-premiere-pro-cc.html#Auto-save improvements

Auto-save improvements

In previous versions of Premiere Pro, even if you specified Auto-Save to execute at regular intervals, if an activity occurred at the specified interval, Auto-Save was blocked. Now, if Auto-Save is blocked by activity, it is put on hold, and retriggered during the next period of inactivity.

In earlier versions, Premiere Pro executed an auto-save when there were unsaved changes in the currently opened project. The potential consequence of that was leaving a project open with unsaved changes for a long enough period led to all the auto-save versions becoming identical, wiping out potentially useful versions to roll back to.

Now, if the system goes idle for a period beyond the interval setting, no further Auto Save files are generated until Premiere Pro detects changes to the project file. This change conserves the maximum number of auto-saves per project, and saves only the useful archived versions.

• 9. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                          cscooper2013 Level 2

Yes, Shooternz, that kind of sounds like what I'm asking for, right?  Wrong.  When I first read that CC Update 1 blog post, I was excited... because I read it wrong.  I guess "activity", as defined by Adobe, is basically playback?  But as soon as I press a key, activity is theoretically finished, until the next key press.  Software cannot read my mind and know when I'm just about to cut something on the timeline.  It can't know I'm about to press play.  Worse, yet, it can't know when I'm about to hit the Enter key to do a render. 

Think of it this way, typing the word "save" is four different "activities".  Keypress "S", then "A", then "V", then "E".  In the miliseconds between each keypress, there is no activity, so an auto save could kick in.

I have CC 7.01 update installed and it definitely doesn't work in the background.  And it absolutely saves at awkward times when I'm plugging away on the keyboard, cutting (Ctrl + k), selecting (d), moving down the timeline, just before I playback, etc.  I mentioned earlier it's not a major concern, just a medium-level annoyance.  It reduces the perceived responsiveness of the application and always makes me wonder if I might have inadvertently hit a key I shouldn't when the dialog popped up.  Did Premiere execute my last command, or was autosave in the way?

• 10. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                            PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Jim, if a constant auto-save à la Lightworks wouldn't reduce editing performance in Premiere, I would welcome that change wholeheartedly!

If you send Adobe a FR for this, please post it so I can copy/paste it to resend it, to give your FR more weight.

BTW, UPSes are not a complete solution.  Sure, they solve the issue of power surges/failures, but they certainly don't solve the issue of Windows 8 blue screening!  (I've had no fewer than 6 blue screens of death with Windows 8 in my last 2 weeks of using that OS for the first time.  With Windows 7, not one!   Methinks it's time to go back to lucky number 7!)

Steven Gotz wrote: As much as I would like an autosave feature that does its work in the background, and allows me to save a new file every five minutes, what happens when the files include Warp Stabilization or any other feature that turns the file from a relatively small file to a very large file? Saving too often on a very large file might cause more problems than it solves.

By 'cause more problems', did you mean too much hard drive space would become occupied by backup files?  If that's what you meant, I'm glad to tell you that it shouldn't in fact be a problem at all.  Auto-saving every step should result in practically the same amount of hard drive space being used for backups as is used with Premiere's current system.  Here's why:

Sample scenario of a 100Mb project (which, for the sake of simplicity in this example, remains a constant size over the course of a hour), with 10 minute auto-save intervals and a maximum number of 5 auto-save backups:

Current system: 5 backups x 100Mb each = 500Mb in backups.  Each new backup overwrites the oldest previous one, so it remains 500Mb with each new backup.

Proposed system: Same result as above!  5 backups x 100Mb each = 500Mb in backups.  The only difference is that the current backup in the queue is being updated at every keystroke rather than just once after 10 minutes.  Once 10 minutes elapse, that backup state is preserved, and the next backup file in the queue begins updating with every keystroke.

I hope I was able to express this clearly enough.

As Jim said, if Lightworks was able to get it to work, I'm sure Adobe can too!

• 11. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background

cscooper2013 wrote:

The current autosave feature is terrifice and expected in any application today, but the current autosave popup dialog is useless.  It only has a "Cancel" button.  What's the point?  I can't imagine when I would ever want to cancel an auto-save. 

Actually, the 'cancel' button is great to have when the auto-save popup dialog comes up at the wrong time and all you want to do is get it out of the way as fast as possible!

I agree that it is annoying and needs a better solution!  It has been improved in CC, but can certainly be improved even more, as you suggest with your FR.

You asked for more voices, so here's +1 for the solution Jim proposed!  I've lost enough edits over the years to really want a solution like this!

• 12. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The real issue IMNSHO is this:

If the dialog box is only going to be up for a few seconds at most, why do we need it at all? I have never canceled one. If there was a preference setting for showing it or not showing it, I would be willing to bet that 98% of the users would set it to not show. Those with slow drives, perhaps saving to an external drive, and maybe if there is a lot of stabilization loading up the file. In those cases I can understand why you might cancel.

But if the saves were set up to only operate when nothing substantial was being written to the drive where the auto saves are kept, then canceling would be unnecessary anyway!

• 13. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I've had no fewer than 6 blue screens of death with Windows 8 in my last 2 weeks of using that OS for the first time.

That's not normal, dude.  BSOD is usually a symptom of a hardware or driver issue.  I've not had one in over a year of using Win 8, running the computer 24/7.  (And that includes the as yet unfinished release preview when it came out last June).

• 14. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Saving too often on a very large file might cause more problems than it solves.

You're thinking of the way PP currently saves.  I'm talking about a whole new method here.

Like I said, Lightworks uses this method and responds just fine.  It's been used for some pretty major Hollywood movies, so...

• 15. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                      DMH79 Level 2

I'm all for the saving process not interrupting work. For me, my projects are usually around 70-100MB in size (I use a couple hundred warp stabilizers per project per week which make the project size much larger) so that little "auto-save" pop up takes a good 40 seconds or more sometimes to go away before I can continue work. I cringe when it comes up but then I quietly take a deep breath and say "no, this is a good thing, this is a good thing, this is a good thing."

I'm thought I remembered FCPX saving continuously as well...or maybe it was the OS, I don't know. Either way, it's great that they now don't overwrite older auto-saved files if there wasn't any changes made, but it'd be nice if it didn't interrupt the editor. I'll submit a feature request as well on this one.

SIDE NOTE: On my system (2011 iMac i7 w/16gb RAM and the AMD6970M GPU (1GB of VRAM)) ... if GPU Acceleration is enbled, saving a 75MB project takes 40-45 seconds on average. With GPU Acceleration disabled (Software Only) it takes around 7 seconds to save that same 75MB project on average...regardless of which scratch drive is used. Hmmm. Interesting. Wonder if that's because it's not on the "officially supported" list or because it only has 1GB of VRAM.

• 16. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                        cscooper2013 Level 2

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

...UPSes...don't solve the issue of Windows 8 blue screening!  (I've had no fewer than 6 blue screens of death with Windows 8 in my last 2 weeks of using that OS for the first time.  With Windows 7, not one!   Methinks it's time to go back to lucky number 7!)

You're right.  But bad power *can* lead to a number of seemingly random system instabilities, including some BSODs.  A good UPS, properly matched to the power requirements of your system, gives you more than just "backup" power.  It will give you surge protection and pure sine wave power as well.  Pure sine wave power should really be a part of any editing system where ultimate stability is key (not just backup power).  Does everyone need it?  Does everyone need RAID6?  If you can afford it or if you can't afford system instability, spend the $200-$300 and get the right UPS for your system's power draw (Pierre, I'm not assuming you don't have a UPS; just good advice for anyone who may not have one).

Leaving my OT rant about UPS, have you tried scanning your RAM for errors.  Last year I was plagued with graphics card lockups (from which the system would recover after a few moments) and an occassional Blue Screen of Death (running Windows 7).  I was working with ASUS tech support and they suggested my RAM was bad.  At first I thought they were just avoiding responsibility for a bad motherboard.  I mean, I had purchased my RAM brand new and as a complete set of 16GB.  But I decided to humor them and scan my RAM (something I had never done before).  Sure enough running MemTest86 immediately turned up a few errors.  Surely, I thought, not enough to warrant replacing the RAM!  But the geek communities were insistant that 1 error is too many errors.  So I called Corsair.  They did an advance RMA so I could keep working with the 8GB of RAM that was still good, while I waited for a complete replacement set of 16GB to arrive.  INCREDIBLE customer service, BTW!

When it arrived I installed the new RAM and did another test.  No errors.  After running that system for a few months with the new RAM and no other modifications, I can say with certainty it was bad RAM causing my BSODs from the very beginning.  No BSODs since.

As for Windows 8, I don't upgrade to the newest version of Windows until the first major update release (a tactic I wish I had adopted for Adobe Premiere Pro as well).  I'm excited to jump into Windows 8.1 when it releases soon—especially since I would have missed the "Start > Type > Enter" search functionality I've come to depend upon in Windows 7.

Thanks for adding your voice to this feature request!

• 17. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                          cscooper2013 Level 2

DMH79 wrote:

...my projects are usually around 70-100MB in size...so that little "auto-save" pop up takes a good 40 seconds or more sometimes to go away before I can continue work.

OK.  I now understand why there is a "Cancel" button.  YIKES!!!  My projects are typically between 3-10 MB.  The popup dialog is never on screen long enough for me to cancel.  As much as that dialog is an annoyance to me, it sounds like it would be excruciating in your case.

While I'm thinking of it, too.  Sometimes Premiere will do an auto save only moments after I've done a hard save.  That also seems like something to address in the next auto save feature update.  If I have my autosave increment set to 5 minutes, then it seems to me there's no need to do an autosave for another 5 minutes after my last manual save.

• 18. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                            DerikSavage Level 1

I recently gave FCPX a try, and was pretty excited about the way it handled saving the project.  It just stays autosaved at all times.  I never once had to worry about remembering to save my project, and I didn't have to see a dialogue box pop up to tell me that it was saving.  There wasn't even a "save" command!  When I was finished editing, I would just quit the program, and when I opened it back up everything was the way I left it. 

If Premiere could "borrow" that functionality, while still retaining a "save as" option for versioning, I feel like we'd have the best of both worlds.  It would even make dynamic linking more seamless, since changes wouldn't require saving.

Any thoughts from the community on this?

• 19. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                              DMH79 Level 2

cscooper2013 wrote:

OK.  I now understand why there is a "Cancel" button.  YIKES!!!  My projects are typically between 3-10 MB.  The popup dialog is never on screen long enough for me to cancel.  As much as that dialog is an annoyance to me, it sounds like it would be excruciating in your case.

Yeah, it sucks. But I ran about 15 separate tests yesterday (I do this a lot to figure out where issues are stemming from) using various scratch drives, boot drives, and turning on/off GPU acceleration (since I don't remember the long delay when I used CS6) and I think it's related to GPU Acceleration on my computer. I have a mid-2011 iMac with AMD 6970M GPU with 1gb of VRAM so it technically makes the cut for GPU Acceleration...but...it's not officially on the list of Adobe's "approved" GPU's. And maybe that's the problem. If I'm on "Software Only" auto save takes 7 seconds. Still longer than your 3-10 mb projects but again, I use Warp Stabilizer a couple hundred times per project (I've developed a way of shooting based around warp's effectiveness) which makes my projects large.

So I believe it's my GPU causing the big delay in saving. I don't want to bore you with detail (but I will ) and this is for another topic maybe but when GPU Acc. is enabled, if I have multiple sequences open with a large amount of warp stabilization on each sequence and I toggle back and forth between the sequences, AFTER I hit "Save", if I toggle again to the other sequence it locks up for about 5-30 seconds (depending on how many warps are applied). I can't play during this time as I have to wait for the render bar to go from RED to YELLOW. Once it clicks in, I can edit again. I can now toggle back and forth between sequences and the YELLOW bar stays...until I hit save again of course. OR, in this case, until it Auto-Saves again (which then takes 40+ seconds, not the 7 seconds it took in Software Only Mode).   ... Was that too much for you? Ha! Sorry, I'm just determined to get to the bottom of this issue since it delays my workflow dozens of times a day and I edit 6-7 days a week. Next up, I gonna test my projects on Adobe approved GPU computers to see if the issue remains.

cscooper2013 wrote:

While I'm thinking of it, too.  Sometimes Premiere will do an auto save only moments after I've done a hard save.  That also seems like something to address in the next auto save feature update.  If I have my autosave increment set to 5 minutes, then it seems to me there's no need to do an autosave for another 5 minutes after my last manual save.

That's a great idea! If it's not going to be continuous saving like FCPX does, then my vote is for non-interupting auto-save that works in conjunction with when you last hit manual save.

• 20. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background

Hi cscouper2013,

Thanks for taking the time to point out that my BSODs might be a problem with my RAM!  Yes, I'll test it with the program you mention.

cscooper2013 wrote:

I fully agree!  That's something I requested during the CS5 beta program.  I requested that every time a user does a manual save, the Autosave reset its counter.  So for example, if the delay is 10 minutes between auto saves, and the user does a manual save two minutes before the next scheduled autosave, the autosave counter resets to 10 more minutes.  But with the better solution of the current project constantly being saved after each edit, as Jim suggested, this feature wouldn't even be needed anymore.

MonkeyEatsMonkey wrote:

If Premiere could "borrow" that functionality, while still retaining a "save as" option for versioning, I feel like we'd have the best of both worlds.  It would even make dynamic linking more seamless, since changes wouldn't require saving.

Any thoughts from the community on this?

That would be a perfect solution IMO!  And yes, retaining the 'Save As' option would be very important!

I also like the idea of automatic versioning/backups (could be renamed to 'versions' since with a constantly saved project file, automatic 'backups' would no longer be necessary.

To resume, based on what has been discussed in this thread, I believe these would be the ideal saving options in Premiere:

1. Autosaving of every edit in the background without slowing down editing performance (as suggested by Jim).
                                                2. Ability to create a user defined number of automatic backup versions, by setting maximum number of versions and time intervals (as is currently the case with Premiere).
                                                3. In other words, the current project file would constantly be updated as the user edits.  The automatic backups/versions would be created at user defined intervals.
                                                4. Users would retain the ability to create a copy of the current project at any moment through the 'Save As' and 'Save a Copy' commands that already exist in Premiere.
                                                5. Pop-up Auto-save dialogue boxes and the 'Save' command would be a thing of the past!
                                                6. IMO, this would truly give us the best of both words as MonkeyEastMonkey suggests: constant saving as per FCPX, with the comprehensive versioning options Premiere currently offers.

Anything missing?

• 21. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                                  cscooper2013 Level 2

The option to turn off Continuous Save.    Having worked with much with Databases, but not much at all with FCP, I'm concerned that Continuous Save might be difficult to go back to anything but the most current version, unless I manually make a forked project with "Save As" or "Save a Copy". 

Today when I want to audition an edit that I'm not sure will work for my program, I'll do a hard Save and procede with my idea.  If it works out, I save it.  If it doesn't work out, I simply revert to the last saved project (before I tried out the edit that I'm not happy with).  When I say "edit" of course, I mean several actions, deleting this footage, cutting that, inserting audio, several control points a few effects, etc.  If it all doesn't work out as well as I thought it would, I've come too far to simply Undo 100 times.  It's faster to just revert to the last saved version.  If the last saved version is only the most current version, how do you revert several steps after auditioning ideas?

Mind you, I'm open to the idea of continuous save, but I know that in a Database, once you make a change, it's permanent, unless you've build intracate systems to help you backtrack transactions, which exponentially increases the complexity of the database structure as well as the size of the data stored therein.

Also, I think it would be great if everyone were to voice a priority for this feature.  For me the priority is very low.  The popup is minimally annoying; but it does ruin the flow of the editing process. 

I think there are MANY MUCH MORE pressing for Adobe to address before getting around to a brand new way of saving (but a quick asynchronous saving process shouldn't take much time away from more pressing matters).  I mean, Merge Clips, Audio Sync and Mute/Solo don't even work.  Those are FAR above Auto Save on my priority list.  How about all of you?  Where does this feature rank for you?

• 22. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background
                                                    shooternz Level 6

Today when I want to audition an edit that I'm not sure will work for my program, I'll do a hard Save and procede with my idea.  If it works out, I save it.  If it doesn't work out, I simply revert to the last saved project (before I tried out the edit that I'm not happy with).  When I say "edit" of course, I mean several actions, deleting this footage, cutting that, inserting audio, several control points a few effects, etc.  If it all doesn't work out as well as I thought it would, I've come too far to simply Undo 100 times.  It's faster to just revert to the last saved version.  If the last saved version is only the most current version, how do you revert several steps after auditioning ideas?

If I want to explore a slightly more radical version (or alternate version) of  an edit in progress... I duplicate the Sequence and work on it independently.

I frequently end up with version sequences then at a point go in one direction or the other at which point..I delete some.

Occasionally I will combine parts of different Sequences ( cut and paste or nest)

New nesting workflow (CS7) makes nests  particularly efficient and practical.

Auto save change - very low priorityfor me. 

I never have ever used one and I have a strong Back up - save as routine.

• 23. Re: Feature Request:  Auto-save in Background

Hi cscooper2013,

You raise a good concern, but my post addresses your concern already.  See item #2:

Ability to create a user defined number of automatic backup versions, by setting maximum number of versions and time intervals (as is currently the case with Premiere).

This means you would have saved versions to go back to, as many versions as you choose to have, saved at whatever time interval you choose (just as is currently the case with Premiere's 'auto saves', but given a different name of 'versions' to make sense in the context of a program that saves the current project after every edit.

Whenever FRs get discussed, I don't understand why people post saying something shouldn't get immediate attention.  If something needs immediate attention, it makes sense IMO to voice that and give the issue as much visibility as possible.  If something isn't a top concern, why not just let it be?  I don't think this should be at the top of Adobe's priority list either, but why try to take away steam from a call to action rather than focusing on adding weight to those issues we feel are the most pressing?  In other words, more of a positive approach rather than a negative one.

BTW, shooternz's idea of using sequences for versioning is the easiest way to go about it, cscooper2013, unless you're dealing with really complex test edits that involve the adding and/or removal of media from the project.  That's what I do and it works great.