6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 8:35 AM by Steven L. Gotz

cs6 red footage editing

sankoor2012 Level 1

Hi ,

i am completed my shoot with red 4k footage,i want to edit in premier now,it's a film output,how can i set or arrange the 4k footage to 2k can anyone tell me the proffesional way (as detailed as possible) plzzzz ,final output is 2k am i downscale the footage or any option is there?plz help n thanks

• 1. Re: cs6 red footage editing
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You have a couple of choices.

You can edit everything at 4K and export to 2K. That way you can always go back and export to 4K when you need to.

Or, you can drop your 4K footage on to a 2K sequence and edit it there, then export to 2K. That allows you to decide what the crop should be. Do you want to scale the whole frame to fit, or just part of the frame? Easily eliminating unwanted parts of the frame, rescuing badly composed shots into great shots.

As for being detailed, you need to find out what the client wants as an export. What format are they asking for?

You can assume that scaling the 4K to 2K is just as good in either of the choices you make above. But how are sending this to the people who will do the color timing, or scoring, or putting it to film? That makes a difference.

Edit: One more thing. If your computer has trouble editing the RED footage at 4K, you may want to consider a Digital Intermediate, scaling to 2K to make it easier on your computer. I recommend Cineform as a DI.

• 2. Re: cs6 red footage editing
            Jim_Simon Level 8

That allows you to decide what the crop should be. Do you want to scale the whole frame to fit, or just part of the frame? Easily eliminating unwanted parts of the frame, rescuing badly composed shots into great shots.

I would hope that a film-out project on a RED at 4K uses a DP that knows what he's doing.  Recomposing his shots would be more a slight affront.

Edit at 4K, export as required.

• 3. Re: cs6 red footage editing
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I would hope ...

Yes. One would hope.

But considering that even I can rent a RED and shoot with it, and I have a LOT to learn about shooting properly....

Well, I thought I would put it out there.

Also, sometimes a DP can't get the camera where he really wants it to go. Like to the middle of a football field, or to the far side of a race track, or ...

Not all shooting situations are optimum.

I hear a lot from photographers that you should never crop. Get it right in camera.

Then I hear from others that just because it wasn't a perfect composition doesn't mean that a little judicious cropping can't save it.

I imagine the same holds true in some situations with video. I remember shooting footage of surfers way back when, and when I shot 480p but knew that the video would be displayed at 480X360, it allowed me to get the very best part of the frame into the final product.

• 4. Re: cs6 red footage editing
                sankoor2012 Level 1

Hi Steven,presently i am doing my film in red 4k footage,i am using adobe cs6 to edit,i think 4k  footage is too much size to edit,and i don't know how to use proxies and relink it, some people advicing me to edit in fcp but i am doing it in cs6,can u give me the complete details of how to edit it in best way without any file size or playback issues,i am using windows machine and it is a film project

• 5. Re: cs6 red footage editing
                  sankoor2012 Level 1

give me a best solution for scaling 4k to 2k in premier because i am having  2 hour footage

• 6. Re: cs6 red footage editing
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I have never been one to use proxies. There are other people around here more suited to giving you more information on that subject. The help files seem to be offline at the moment, so I can't point you to the info on proxies.

I would use Cineform's Studio Premium to convert the RED footage to something vastly easier to edit and to resize it for you. Using Cineform as a Digital Intermediate is superior to other methods as far as I can tell.