2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2013 1:17 PM by Dale Ellis

Simple 3D animation taking long to render

Dale Ellis

I've just started to use AE again (CC version) and I'm trying to make a simple 3D text animation and it seems like it's taking an excessively long time to render. I have a 4 year old MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB) and it's taking several hours to render and export a 5-second clip through Media Encoder. The animation is just text on a black background. I'm using the ME YouTube 480P preset. The original file is 1920x1080 because I am going to have to chroma key it over some existing 1080p video. I did a little 3D work years ago and this seems like an awfully long time for such a short, simple animation. Is there some simple, common mistake I'm probably making? Should I scale the comp down to 480p?

• 1. Re: Simple 3D animation taking long to render
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We don't know much about hour composition. It sounds like you are making work for yourself by setting up a green background that you can green screen. This is a very inefficient workflow because AE will generate an alpha channel for your text, it will look better, and there is no work at all involved in laying the text over a video in a NLE.

Usually the first cause of extremely long render times in CC is the use of AE's Ray-traced rendering in a comp when your system does not have a GPU that supports this feature. If you are extruding the text, then I'd suggest a different workflow. Create your 3D text in C4D lite. Your system does not support Ray-traced rendering so it's going to be very slow.

Tell us more about your composition. Tell us about your render settings. Show us a screenshot of the comp with changed properties revealed (select all layers and press the U key twice) and maybe we can help a little more.

• 2. Re: Simple 3D animation taking long to render
            Dale Ellis Level 1

Thanks, Rick.

The actors were already shot on a green screen because they had limited set space but want to put them in front of a large background. That's actually a comletely different issue as I haven't even included that video in the comp yet and, when I do, I just have to replace the green with plain white. I was just performing a test to see how long it would take to render the 3D text.

As you guessed, it is extruded text. I was suspucious that my GPU is too old to handle it properly.

I'll give the C4D lite route a try and see if it renders in less time.

Thanks again!