5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 9:52 AM by Roberio Oliveira

CS6 without TotalCode can't import MainConcept MXF clips

Roberio Oliveira Level 1

Hello,

We have Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 with MainConcept Codec Suite 5, and we are testing Adobe Premiere CS6 with and without TotalCode.

Today we found a possible issue while testing Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.3). The error occurs when we try to import a Sony XDCAM MXF HD422 clip exported thru MainConcept plugin in Adobe Premiere CS5.5. Adobe Premiere CS6 shows up the following error: The importer reported a generic error.

If we use TotalCode Plugin with MXF importer enabled, the clip is imported properly.

I would like to know if this is a problem or is it working as intended. In any case, is there any workaround we could apply?

Bellow the system information:

Adobe Premiere CS6 (6.0.3)

Windows 7 x64 SP1

Dell Precison Workstation T7500

Intel Xeon X5690 (x2)

Chipset Intel Tylersburg 5520

48 GB RAM DDR3

DX 11

Nvidia Quadro 5000

Matrox MX02

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Kind Regards,

Roberio

• 1. Re: CS6 without TotalCode can't import MainConcept MXF clips
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It makes sense to me that you need the plug-in for 6 to handle files created by the plug-in using 5.5.

• 2. Re: CS6 without TotalCode can't import MainConcept MXF clips
            Roberio Oliveira Level 1

Hi Jim, thanks for answering, but it does not make any sense to me, as we aren't talking about an effect or something like this, but a very well documented format, a standard among broadcasting producers, that have to deal with a vast number of brands. Plus, any other video editing software I tested could import them properly without any plugin. Sony XDCAM decks can play them properly too. In fact even the Adobe Premiere CS5.5 without the plugin can import them properly.

We did many tests in our lab, the more interesting results are bellow:

Importing Results
            FormatCS5.5CS5.5 with MCCS6 w/o TCCS6 with TCCS6 w/o TC (from Pro Disc)
            MC H.264 AVC HD 1920x1080 59.94iYYYYY
            MC MPEG2 HDTV 1080 59.94iYYYYY
            MC MXF SONY XDCAM HD422 59.94iYYNYY
            MC MXF SONY IMX 50 59.94iY*YNYY
            MC MXF SONY DVCAM NTSCYYNYY
            * Frame recognized as 720x512

MC = MainConcept Codec Suite 5

TC = TotalCode

Pro Disc: Clips copied to Sony XDCAM blu-ray disc, and copying them back to HDD.

Please, note that only those clips in MXF format couldn’t be imported in CS6, which does not happens in C5.5. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that, in previous version, Adobe used a set of codecs provided by MainConcept, while in this version they didn’t, right? I think that it may be the cause, somehow. Anyway, more interesting yet is that if we copy those clips to XDCAM disc, through PDW-1 drive, and copy them back to the hard drive disc, they can be properly imported in Adobe Premiere CS6. Now, we know that when we do that copy operation, PDW-U1 modifies the metadata. For example, before copying the clip to the disc the field Company Name shows “MainConcept GmbH”; after copying to disc it’s shown as just “Main”. Also the field Product Name, before copying to disc shows “CodecSuite 5”; after copying to disc it’s shown as just “Code”. We can assume that Adobe Premiere is not able to import them just as a matter of metadata

Now, it seems that we have something wrong in here: either original metadata (created by MainConcept) is not correct, or Adobe Premiere deliberately won’t import a clip with such metadata, not because it can’t decode it, but because plugin is not installed. Add that to the fact that GrassValley Edius, Avid Media Composer and Sony Vegas don’t need any plugin to correctly import any of those clips. Should I have Apple Final Cut to test it, I believe this would be true again.

So far, it looks like we are facing a vicious marketing issue, not a technical one, but of course I can be completely wrong, I hope so.

• 3. Re: CS6 without TotalCode can't import MainConcept MXF clips
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that, in previous version, Adobe used a set of codecs provided by MainConcept, while in this version they didn’t, right?

To the best of my knowledge, Adobe has always and continues to use MainConcept MPEG decoders and encoders for their software.  I have no idea how that might relate to this issue, though.

What happens when you export to MXF without using the TC plug-in?

• 4. Re: CS6 without TotalCode can't import MainConcept MXF clips
                Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

What's probably happening is that we no longer allow ImporterMPEG (which basically funnels all file handling directly to Main Concept) to handle MXF files in CS6 as a fallback (ie in case ImporterXDCAMHD decides it can't import a file) - the reason being, we saw a number of MXF files where the audio was mishandled.  That would explain the change in behaviour between CS 5.5 vs CS6.

If you have a sample file for each format that's failing, I'd appreciate if you could post them somewhere so that I can examine them.  My first guess as to why they're not being handled correctly is that Main Concept is probably using a non-standard UID for the essence data in the MXF file, so we reject it as an unknown type. 

Cheers,

Wil

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CS6 without TotalCode can't import MainConcept MXF clips
                  Roberio Oliveira Level 1

Hi Will,

Sorry the delay. You can download them here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/X3FjV5oJ/DV_online.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/HUdIrfLB/HD422.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/ZK_R4Jxf/IMX.html

After talks with Rovi/MainConcept support, I am sure this is an Adobe issue, and, as you correctly pointed, the cause is the UID used by MainConcept. Adobe is still using MainConcept codecs, as Jim said, but they use another demux, probably MOG.

I have no hope for a fix. So far the workaround I found was to copy the clips to a XDCAM media disc, then they can be imported.

Jim, we don't plan to export using TC plug-in, but we have a big archive and mostly of them was exported using MainConcept plug-in. The good is that also it's mostly on XDCAM discs, so they won't be affected.

Thanks for the hints, guys!

Cheers,

Roberio