19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 3:14 PM by shooternz

White matte not white???

SkaDan

So I created a white matte in PPro6 and then added a jpeg image over the top of it with a white border on the timeline, you can clearly see a faint grey border around the image before and after rendering. I tried coneverting the jpeg to several other formats but it still shows a grey border. The image IS RGB and both the matte and image whites are R255, B255, G255. The image is too elaborate to get rid of the whites and place on a transparent BG. WHY is this happening? I know I can expand my canvas size but that doesnt fix the problem within PPro. Anybody know the answer?

Thanks much.

• 1. Re: White matte not white???
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You mean there is a gray border around the jpg and then the white from the matte?

What are your sequence settings? Your media type? Etc...

• 2. Re: White matte not white???
            shooternz Level 6

Try making a Matte in Premiere Titler.

eg. a filled rectangle and sample the white from the image border (color picker) as your fill.

• 3. Re: White matte not white???
              SkaDan Level 1

Hey Steven, there's a light grey border around the jpeg image making it appear that the white BG matte is not completely white even though they are both RGB white. The sequnence setting is HDV 1080P 30fps. Media ij just jpeg's, white matte, and titleing. It's a commercial, everything looks great except that.

• 4. Re: White matte not white???
                SkaDan Level 1

Hey shooternz, that sounds like a good idea, however why should we have to do it? I'd like to know why there is a border when the matte and the image are both RGB white. My fix was to increase the canvas size on the image so I didn't need a Matte, but why do we need to come up with such fixes in the first place? Just real curious.

• 5. Re: White matte not white???
                  shooternz Level 6

No idea why ...so best to just fix it if possible, anyway one can...just to get it done.

There is likely  a few ways you can try .

Post the image up somewhere (drop box)  for others to see if they have an answer or same experience.

Could simply be an alpha issue.

• 6. Re: White matte not white???
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, depending on several settings, "white" is possibly appearing as 235, and not 255, or "super-white." 235 will appear as very light gray, and not white. How close is your gray to white? See this article for more info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1090642/0-255-vs-16-235-on-htpc-trying-to-understand-what-is-goi ng-on

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: White matte not white???
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK, tell me if this test makes sense to you.

I went into Photoshop and created a white layer (255,255,255) and saved it to a JPG using sRGB.

Then I brought it into Premiere Pro CC. I created a White Matte in Premiere Pro and put it on track 1. I put the jpg on track two and set it to 90% scale.

I set the Program Monitor to show me 150% and still could not see any difference between the white matte and the jpg.

I then reread your post and did it again in Premiere Pro CS6. It took me a minute to remember how to render because to be honest, unless the line goes red, I never do. And if the line isn't red, hitting the enter key is insufficient to cause it to render. My line stays yellow pretty much all of the time.

So, let's take a look at a few things. Why do you have to render? No CUDA card? Perhaps you are applying an 8 bit effect that causes the IRE to set to 16 through 235

Maybe you should change from Adobe RGB to sRGB if it is not already that way?

We need more information. If you meant "export" instead of "render", what are you exporting to? Please provide a screen shot of all of your export settings.

• 8. Re: White matte not white???
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I read this differently:

The jpeg has a white border and is placed on a white matte.

I cannot reproduced (although I have seen this in the past) so I made one.

white border.png

This is easily solved by removing the white border of the jpeg.

• 9. Re: White matte not white???
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Yes, but if the white border is no longer 255,255,255 then none of the pure whites in the image will be either. So while it may not be noticeable, I would think that you would want control over that.

I could not reproduce the issue either.

• 10. Re: White matte not white???
                            SkaDan Level 1

The weird thing is that I created a white BG in photoshop using the eyedropper selectied from the actual jpeg (255 RGB) the same frame size as the video frame, placed it on the timeline then added my jpeg (Also 255 RGB) and it still had a slightly greyer look to it. Here's a screen shot. It's more visible if you look at your monitor from the side. BTW, it does look like this after render and while still on the timeline.

NOTE: For some reason dropbox does not show the image in 16:9.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwjtqzpbehrpad2/EatFitStill.jpg

• 11. Re: White matte not white???

I sampled in PSCC and PSCS6.

The white background (251.251.251) does not have the same color value as the white (254.254.254) of the jpeg.

Hence the vague border.

You can quickly correct this in PS or PP by dropping rectangular's over the white background and edges of the jpeg and sample from the middle of the jpeg.

• 12. Re: White matte not white???
                                SkaDan Level 1

That's the problem Ann, Why are they changing??? Both were originally RGB 255 straight out of Photoshop, but PPro changes them once placed on the timeline. I fixed the problem yesterday by increasing the canvas size of the image so I didn't need a White matte at all, but why is PPro doing this? Also, if you check the color of each image while in PPro, they both read RGB 255 even though you can see the difference.

• 13. Re: White matte not white???

I would avoid jpegs and save as psd or png.

• 14. Re: White matte not white???
                                    SkaDan Level 1

Well as I said in my first post, I tried tiffs and PSD's too, made no difference. Just for the record, I'm not a newb, I've been working with PPro for nearly 10 years and have made tons of commercials. Thanks for your input though Ann;)

• 15. Re: White matte not white???
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

There is certainly a problem.

Maybe there is something odd about your sequence? Since we can't reproduce the problem?

Can you post an image of your sequence settings? Perhaps create a new sequence using DSLR presets at 1080p. Create the matte without an eyedropper, just setting it to 255,255,255.

Don't apply any effect of any kind other than to scale the image to get it to be the right size. Sorry, but grasping at straws here since we can't reproduce it.

Also, what happens if you just make the borders in Photoshop and forget the matte in Premiere Pro altogether? Scale the images in Photoshop to fit the white borders of a lower layer?

• 16. Re: White matte not white???
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's a screen shot

Dude, it's very easy to get rid of that white in the JPG and create a PNG with alpha.

• 17. Re: White matte not white???
                                          shooternz Level 6

Agree Jim (as a fix)..but a graphic like that is probably produced in layers originally (or at least by good practice should be).

If the graphic is for use in a video..plan to use the layers without the BG.  tiff, png or psd are ideal.

• 18. Re: White matte not white???
                                            SkaDan Level 1

Thanks for all the help everybody, there has been several fixes to this problem but the thing that is troublesome is that when I tried to reproduce this effect with the same jpeg and new white matte created in PPro 5 it work perfect with no issues. So something in PPro 6 is creating this problem that I never encountered before. I may just dump CS 6 and stay with 5. Thanks all!

• 19. Re: White matte not white???
                                              shooternz Level 6

Thats bad advice from yourself to yourself just because of one unexplained instance.