3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 2:51 PM by Pattie F

Adobe Revel fills my disk like crazy

geertee

Adobe revel fills my disk quickly. I'm on a Macbook Air (128GB) with Mountain Lion. Although I opted in the preferences of the Adobe Revel software to not save originals on this computer, I've found that Revel still downloads the original files and puts them in a container to be found in het hidden 'Library' folder in the user folder. For better understanding, I'm not talking about the 'Adobe Revel' folder (container) that is created in the 'Pictures' folder in Finder. This is a very unfortunate situation since it will render my computer next to useless in a very short amount of time. I keep my originals on external drives off site and have no need for another copy on a computer with already very limited disk space.

This is even more frustrating because the software lets you specifically opt out of saving the originals on the machine, and still downloads these files. It defies as well the purpose of storing images online.

It took me some time to find out why I had 28GB of pictures on the computer, while the Pictures folder contains merely 4GB of image files total.

Is there a way to remedy this? This is a serious issue, as far as I'm concerned.

• 1. Re: Adobe Revel fills my disk like crazy
          Pattie F Employee Moderator

Geert-

Sorry you are having issues with this. Here is some information that may clear things up and help you purge the extra stuff from your Mac.

With Revel, your photos are stored in two places: Adobe’s secure cloud and the hard drive on your Mac if you have Revel installed there and have “Keep All Originals” set to “On.”  This is the default setting.  If you upload pictures and choose to "Keep all Orginals",  Revel copies the image and stores a cache of the image in the Adobe Revel library.rvl package. You can click on the package and select "show package contents" to view the images that were stored in that package. You can disable this setting if you know you have your originals stored safely elsewhere, or if you don’t have enough disk space on your Mac to accommodate all photos.

TO DISABLE KEEP ORIGINALS AND DELETE THE DATA FROM THE MAC:

1. Before doing anything, BE SURE YOU HAVE ALL OF YOUR ORIGINALS BACKED UP SOMEWHERE.

2. BE SURE ALL UPLOADING IS COMPLETED. Check your status to be sure nothing is still uploading, that no new uploads or changes are pending, otherwise they could be lost. Let uploads complete.

3. Disable Keep Originals in Revel app settings (since you don't want a duplicate copy)

4. Close Revel.

5. Delete Adobe Revel Library.

... /Users/your user folder name here/Library/Containers/com.adobe.Carousel.mac/

When you relaunch Revel, you will have to wait while the catalogs sync up (which might take a bit depending on size of library) but no originals will be downloaded.

6. Delete Pictures/Adobe Revel/Adobe Revel Library file

7. Launch Revel. Sign in. Depending on size of library, it will take a few minutes to repopulate, download any thumbnails/previews/database info.

Please note, we cache items for preferences and performance and we cache thumbnails and previews to prevent needing to download over and over again. If you import on the Mac we'll cache some originals for performance.

Pattie

• 2. Re: Adobe Revel fills my disk like crazy
            geertee Level 1

Pattie,

This answers my question.

Still it is somewhat confusing, since I did indeed disable the option to keep originals on the computer. More so because Revel stores these cached files in a container in a hidden Library folder, and there doesn't seem to be a limit to the cache size. If you have large picture libraries and you use Revel often, cache size expands rapidly.

It took quite some time to find out where the disk space was going. Once found, the question remains what to do, since it's normal practice to leave libraries alone, I guess that's why they're hidden.

A user adjustable cache size limit or an option to clear cache would be neat.

Regards,

Geert

Op 5-aug.-2013 om 21:06 heeft Pattie F <forums_noreply@adobe.com> het volgende geschreven:

Re: Adobe Revel fills my disk like crazy

created by Pattie F in Photoshop.com Sharing and Storage - View the full discussion

Geert-

Sorry you are having issues with this. Here is some information that may clear things up and help you purge the extra stuff from your Mac.

With Revel, your photos are stored in two places: Adobe’s secure cloud and the hard drive on your Mac if you have Revel installed there and have “Keep All Originals” set to “On.”  This is the default setting.  If you upload pictures and choose to "Keep all Orginals",  Revel copies the image and stores a cache of the image in the Adobe Revel library.rvl package. You can click on the package and select "show package contents" to view the images that were stored in that package. You can disable this setting if you know you have your originals stored safely elsewhere, or if you don’t have enough disk space on your Mac to accommodate all photos.

TO DISABLE KEEP ORIGINALS AND DELETE THE DATA FROM THE MAC:

1. Before doing anything, BE SURE YOU HAVE ALL OF YOUR ORIGINALS BACKED UP SOMEWHERE.

2. BE SURE ALL UPLOADING IS COMPLETED. Check your status to be sure nothing is still uploading, that no new uploads or changes are pending, otherwise they could be lost. Let uploads complete.

3. Disable Keep Originals in Revel app settings (since you don't want a duplicate copy)

4. Close Revel.

5. Delete Adobe Revel Library.

... /Users/your user folder name here/Library/Containers/com.adobe.Carousel.mac/

When you relaunch Revel, you will have to wait while the catalogs sync up (which might take a bit depending on size of library) but no originals will be downloaded.

6. Delete Pictures/Adobe Revel/Adobe Revel Library file

7. Launch Revel. Sign in. Depending on size of library, it will take a few minutes to repopulate, download any thumbnails/previews/database info.

Please note, we cache items for preferences and performance and we cache thumbnails and previews to prevent needing to download over and over again. If you import on the Mac we'll cache some originals for performance.

Pattie

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5568221#5568221

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5568221#5568221

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5568221#5568221. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop.com Sharing and Storage by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Adobe Revel fills my disk like crazy
              Pattie F Employee Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, I will let the team know what you suggested.

Regards,

Pattie