3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 10:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Can I edit the XML to change the resolution in general preferences?

M Evil Genius

I am using premiere elements 10. I have done months of editing work on a project. When I started I was using the product for the first time and I did not realise that if is set the general preferences at the beginning of the project they could not be changed later on. I have set them to 640*480 but most of my video is recorded at a much higher resolution. I realise that the program creates conformed versions of the videos and uses these for the edit and that is why the preference can't be changed at a later date. However, is there anyway of keeping the edited information and forcing all of the vidoes and images to be re conformed at the right resolution. The program uses XML. Is there anyway of deleting the files where the conformed videos are kept, changing the preferences in the XML and reloading the program so that it forces this. Otherwise I will lose months of work or have 15 hours of edited footage which is all of poor quality when it was shot at a higher resolution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Can I edit the XML to change the resolution in general preferences?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

M Evil Genius

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change a Premiere Elements project preset once it has been set.

However, we have shown that the desired effect can be achieved in certain circumstances by editing the Notepad document of the saved project.prel.

I have wirtten about the how to in a blog post. Please check it out and let me know if you need details specific for your situation.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I edit the XML to change the resolution in general preferences?
            M Evil Genius Level 1

Thanks so much for your answer. I am sorry for the delay in replying. Looked to see if I had a reply and it did not come up and so I thought no one had answered.

I have looked at the link you sent. It is really helpful. I am using Premiere Elements 10 though. In your article you refer to previousl versions but I can't find the links. Please could you kindly point me in the right direction?

I don't need to change the aspect ratio, just change from a low resolution of something like DSLR-480p-DSLR-640x480p60 to DSLR-1080p-DSLR-1080p24 (1080*1920). Therefore, I suspect I just need to change

<FrameRect>0,0,1920,1080</FrameRect>

To:

<PixelAspectRatio>1024,702</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect>0,0,720,576</FrameRect>

and ignore the PixelAspectRatio?

I am not sure there you got the information for the next part from i.e.

<EditingModeID>d10b5335-ce74-4031-bc7c-79e8b73582ee</EditingModeID>

and

<MZ.Sequence.EditingModeGUID>d10b5335-ce74-4031-bc7c-79e8b73582ee</MZ.Sequence.EditingMode GUID>

To:

<EditingModeID>e2e6d6b0-7e3d-4455-bf93-0d9c3c791e4e</EditingModeID>

and

<MZ.Sequence.EditingModeGUID>e2e6d6b0-7e3d-4455-bf93-0d9c3c791e4e</MZ.Sequence.EditingMode GUID>

How would I find out this information please for Premiere Elements 10 and the change I wish to apply?

I am also not sure where I find the VideoFieldType that I need for my change.  e.g.

<VideoFieldType>1</VideoFieldType>

To:  

<VideoFieldType>2</VideoFieldType>

Do I need to do anything with changing the FrameSize or VideoFrameSize as these tags are also attributes which have the resolution embedded? I am not sure which tags refer to the project properties and which come from the properties of the videos imported.

Thanks so much for answering the first time and look forward to your reply.

M

• 3. Re: Can I edit the XML to change the resolution in general preferences?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MEG

Just got finished doing a blog post on all the details. This one seemed easier than the rest because of your before and after requirements. The details are in my blog post since the How To is detailed and with graphics.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe10-changing-project-preset-without.html

But, the bottom line is that all you need to change is the FrameRec and FrameRate for the Premiere Elements 10/ key changes from NTSC DSLR 480p60 to NTSC DSLR 1080p24.

Please check it out and see if it works for you as it did for me.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR