23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 11:55 AM by RoysScreenName

Possible to get a critique from the Forum?

RoysScreenName Level 1

I'm close to the end of my work on a video to enhance a Kickstarter project.

Some of my friends have given me critiques, now I turn to you, the Premiere Elements users, for more opinions. You are after all the folks who know the authoring software, and you are the ones best qualified to judge the results of my labor.

One friend commented that she could hear me inhaling between sentences. My own hearing is not very good, so I haven't noticed this. Among any other problems you might find in the video, can you hear me breathing?

Thanks in advance for your comments. And don't hold back ... if I'm to make this Kickstarter project succeed, I'll need all the tough advice I can get.

Roy

• 1. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want people to comment, you have to post a link to your video... at least, I didn't see a link

• 2. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
            RoysScreenName Level 1

Gachghkh!!!!

Gotcha.

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/GYVfeJs9bsA

Roy (aka "spit-for-brains") Hayes

• 3. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Roy,

Just had a chance to watch your current video.

Even though you requested a "critique" of your video, I am reluctant to do that in the sense of judging the work of another. Rather stay in the realm of troubleshooting than getting into a sensitive critiquing situation.

Consequently, I will take an alternative approach to responding to your post and have opted, in the name of troubleshooting, to draw your attention to the following related to your video workflow....

a. Especially at its beginning, did you balance the background "music" level against your narration to avoid a conflict of the "music" peaks conflicting and competing with the narration? If not done manually, please refer to Premiere Elements 11 feature Smart Mix found under Tools/.

b. Any further considerations on the illusion of the time passage not using "months" effect? Same comments for earlier version of your draft video.

In the case of "a", did you change that from prior draft version that you posted?

Go with your instincts which are good.

ATR

• 4. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                RoysScreenName Level 1

Thanks, Romano.

I've done my best to keyframe and adjust the amplitude of music (via Chanel Volume Effect) in relation to the voice-over. Did you find any hotspots in the music that I should further adjust?

As for the calendar ... I tried and failed to find an image of a calendar with flying pages. Couldn't even find an image of a standard desk calendar, the sort that has single tear-off pages for each day. With the latter I could have created an animation, though with a lot of work. The effort to create the entire thing from scratch - probably buying a desk calendar (if such still exist), photographing it, using the photo as a template for the Illustrator image, and on and on and on - would simply overwhelm me. The spinning, expanding, diminishing months is really the best I can do.

A friends said she heard me inhaling between sentences, though this was prior to the version with music. Could you hear me inhaling? Or does the music cover this?

Also, I've now inserted a blank, silent black screen for just a 1/2 second or so to separate the nuclear fire following the "Fabulous" sign. I think this gives the viewer a moment to absorb the blast, and disconnects the blast from the "January" / "Unfortunately" image and VO.

Again, thanks for you help.

Ol' spit-for-brains Hayes

• 5. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Roy

In your prior version of your draft video I did not pick up on any inhaling noises in the narration. The narration was fine and just right tone for this type of video.

If you did make background music - narration volume adjustments for this current video, I would ask you and your friend to do another sound check to avoid distracting and too loud consequences when the music equalizes or almost dominates the narration. (Please see especially around 0:55 to 1:00 mark. Not sure of methodology you used when you wrote

I've done my best to keyframe and adjust the amplitude of music (via Chanel Volume Effect) in relation to the voice-over.

Did you look at Premiere Elements 11 Smart Mix at all?

ATR

• 6. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                    RoysScreenName Level 1

Honestly am not aware of Smart Mix. But I'll sure go look at it. And ... thanks much for the heads-up about the music in the :55 - 1:00.

"Channel Volume" is found in the Effects / Audio Effects. It's the first of the audio choices, and it lets you keyframe and adjust volume of both left and right channels, either together or independently, at specific keyframed moments. You can increase at one spot, decrease at another, and either use a sliding level of amplitude or abrupt changes, depending on how you keyframe the puppy.

Thanks for your comment regarding inhaling. And in general for the great amount of time and concern you've given my project. I'm really in your debt.

r

• 7. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Roy,

Here are my comments:

• 21 sec. hold on visuals a bit too long. It works well, later on (1:06), but this one seemed a bit awkward to me.
                      • ~ 30 sec., music could use just a bit of attenuation below VO
                      • ~ 39 sec., Rolling Title jogs to left a few pixels, just at its pause
                      • 1:16 The Hungarian Game graphic could come in just a bit more quickly, then the Dissolve to The Last Days of Las Vegas
                      • 1:32 "unfolds over 4 continents," but we are still on North America, and do not get to the map of Europe, Asia for just a bit - that caught my attention
                      • Liked the LV montage/PiP - moves nicely
                      • Two little audio "glitches" between 2:22 & 2:29 "automobile" in "automobile crash, and "propelled" in "propelled into action."
                      • 3:14 silibance in VO at two locations. "So I," and "self-published"
                      • ~ 3:48, I would attenuate the music, below the VO. Before the VO, it's good, but sort of clouds what you are saying there. The percussion hits are a bit loud, through that part of the presentation. In otherwise silent parts (no VO), the levels are about correct.
                      • ~ 4:46 "So [pause] some juicy... "
                      • ~ 4:48 "Kick Starter" SFX a bit loud

I listened for any breathing, but also did not hear that.

I liked the presentation, and look forward to the book - especially as Vince Flynn has passed away.

Good luck, and thank you for the opportunity to nit-pick here. Nothing could not be accepted, but I just passed a critical eye on the video.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roy,

Not pushing the SmartMix, but this link goes to the Adobe view of it if you wanted a quick check it out.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS6C96BC86-7342-44a4-8D3F-936C1D66DE0B. html

ATR

• 9. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                          RoysScreenName Level 1

As you probably know (and I'm really not at all religious), God gave us nits so we could pick them. (On the other hand, God and I both hope one doesn't pick one's nose in public.)

Thanks for taking the time and putting some real effort into your second-by-second observations. I'm copying the text of your comments, and will save as a text file. Will use that on a frame-by-frame close look at the video.

Not sure what "~ 4:46 "So [pause] some juicy" means. I intentionally wrote and said, "And some (chuckle) some juicy gossip ..." Did I miss something?

And, hey, don't look for Vince Flynn in anything I've ever written. My literary heros are E. Hemingway, Saroyan, Faulkner, Lawrence Durrell, Eric Ambler, Dostoyevsky, le Carré, Len Deighton, etc etc etc.

I'm largely a-political (in my book the flat-earth right and the loony left suck equally) and I don't write about heroic macho types.

In fact, Remly at one point in Last Days throws out his chest and suggests that he use a cover name of "Rex Havoc." His boss, the F.O., says, "Now now. Now now."

And my take on Vince's pal Glenn Beck and his cohorts wouldn't get past the Language Nanny here at the Forum.

Vince was a decent enough guy (I met him at the first get-together of International Thriller Writers in Scottsdale), but he and I would have had a lovely little argument over politics and the fine art of writing well.

Ol' Bill, I'm really in your debt. You obviously invested a lot of time and thought in your critique, and I'm taking every word of it quite seriously.

Let's pray that Last Days gets funded at Kickstarter so I can send you one of the first copies fresh from the bindery.

Yours ...

Rex Havoc

• 10. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                            RoysScreenName Level 1

Hey, Romano, thanks for the continued input. I checked out Smart Mix, but feel a lot more comfortable being able to run sound control with Channel Volumen effect.

I'm using 7 multiple audio tracks, and the Smart Mix gets confused with my technique. Also, I like the ability to keyframe and controle things second-by-second. And even tighter.

Rex Havoc

• 11. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure what "~ 4:46 "So [pause] some juicy" means. I intentionally wrote and said, "And some (chuckle) somejuicy gossip ..." Did I miss something?

At approximately 00:04:46:00, with the statement "Some juicy... " it sounds like the word "Some" begins, but stops, the slight pause, then starts over with the delivery of "some juicy... " almost like a stutter on that first word in the sentence. It should be easy to get rid of that first utterance, as there is a little pause - no one would ever know.

As for the time invested, well I enjoyed the opportunity, as parts of your editing have been around here in a couple of threads, and it's nice to observe fuition - especially if one has played a tiny role in it. Thank you for that opportunity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                RoysScreenName Level 1

Funny. But I hear the chuckle. Sounds to me like ...

"Some ... (chuckle) ... some juicy gossip ..."

I'll check this with others to confirm.

• 13. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Remember, I was just commenting on what I saw and heard, or thought that I heard.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                    RoysScreenName Level 1

Yeah, there was a 7 second hold on Amplify and Stereo. You're  right, of course, because the Amplify and Stereo maggy ads are almost like billboards - you could get the message of visual and text while driving by at 85-mph and texting on your smartphone (Roy's Rules for Making Billboards). No need to hold for 7 seconds. I knocked 'em back to about 5 secs. The Trans-Sierra poster and PS: Your Landlord Hates Us is on for 8 seconds, but I suspect that viewers will need all of that to see the details of the Trans Sierra cartoon and read the upper and lower headlines of Landlord.

I knocked back the music at about 30, and fixed the jogging Chabrol quote, where the rolling quote segues into the Hungarian slide-down.

As for the dissolve from Hungarian to Last Days ... the wipe and dissolve work perfectly for me. Hungarian comes up in less than one second, and the dissolve to Last Days is justifiably slower because the viewer needs that time to absorb the fact that everything in graphic and titling changes ... except the face. It took me that long to get it ... and I'm the one who was creative director on the project!

"... unfolds over four continents." I'm going to live with the current video. Although an overall view of the world could be made, the fact is that South America, which figures prominently in the plot, doesn't appear at all in the video. And to be literal about all four continents is just too much like work. Thanks, though, for the observation.

Those two glitches between 2:22 and 2:29 were in the music. I fixed.

The sibilance: Yeah. Sounds like someone doing an imitation of Humphry Bogart. I think I was trying to eat the microphone or something. Can't be fixed in Premiere Elements, so I'll re-record the VO clip.

And I attenuated down the music from 3:48 on, as well as the loud bike. (That's a Vincent Black Shadow, by the way.) As the poet has it, "Atten ... uate the positive, dimin ... uate the negative, and don't mess with Mr. In-Between."

Again, thanks ...

Rex Havoc

• 15. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Roy,

As for the dissolve from Hungarian to Last Days ... the wipe and dissolve work perfectly for me. Hungarian comes up in less than one second, and the dissolve to Last Days is justifiably slower because the viewer needs that time to absorb the fact that everything in graphic and titling changes ... except the face. It took me that long to get it ... and I'm the one who was creative director on the project!

That Transition worked perfectly for me. It was the timing of getting Hungarian onto the screen, that seemed a bit slow - once there, the flow is perfect, IMHO.

"... unfolds over four continents." I'm going to live with the current video. Although an overall view of the world could be made, the fact is that South America, which figures prominently in the plot, doesn't appear at all in the video. And to be literal about all four continents is just too much like work. Thanks, though, for the observation.

I understand, and my comment was just an observation. I wondered what the "4th continent" was, but assumed that it in the book - makes me want to read it more.

I also agree that one does not have to have visuals, that are 100% linear with regards to the audio. Heck, I use L & J Cuts all the time, where Video & Audio do not match, though with a purpose. Even though I am an engineer by initial training, I do not feel the need to be literal on all occasions.

The sibilance: Yeah. Sounds like someone doing an imitation of Humphry Bogart. I think I was trying to eat the microphone or something. Can't be fixed in Premiere Elements, so I'll re-record the VO clip.

That one is tough - and I know about it personally. As I do some VO work, I have had my dentist work on the junction of my two uppper incisors - to cut that back on certain sounds. So far, I am not sure that he's helped that much, but he does keep making $ off me, so he's in the right business. I completely understand.

Yeah, I'd leave Mr. In-Between along, and give him a wide berth...

If that is all that I can find, I think that you have a great piece there, and hope that it is 100% successful for you. When you get a moment, please let us know how the whole project (not just the video) goes, and the best of fortune. I think that you have a winner there.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                        RoysScreenName Level 1

Thanks, Bill. But ... shouldn't it be "I think we have a winner there?"

I didn't take delivery of Permiere Elements until mid-May, and didn't get Cool Tricks and Hot Tips until 6 June.

You and Romano gave me the gen about using QuickTime instead of animations, and Romano contributed the need to use an H.264 protocol for the *.mov.

Grisetti added more personal cool tips, and all Three Musketeers changed my nappies and burped me as I crawled along.

Without you three I'd still be struggling with the first 15 seconds of my video. As it is, I jumped from utter ignorance to a reasonable semblence of understanding in less than three months.

Will keep you posted on Kickstarter progress. The video is an important element ... 50% of Kickstarter projects with videos succeed, I believe it's less than 30% that succeed if they have no video.

Should I achieve my goal at Kickstarter, I think it will be a good thing for the rest of the gang at the Forum to know that there are very practical uses for Premiere Elements - uses that far transcend the Frisbee-Catching-Dog sort of thing.

Still have to refine my Kickstarter text and visuals, and - hardest of all - put together the "exclusive sneak preview" and attach it to my website, though in a way that it can only be accessed via a discreet link, rather than from the links on my splash page.

No problem about re-recording, by the way. I do it on my famous Leicasonic camera in video mode, and directly transfer to the computer.

ALSO ... how was the definition? It still looks a bit fuzzy in my 17.3" HP laptop.

PLUS ... I've learned that saving the video in Computer / AVCHD / YouTubeWidescreenHD results in a video that's every bit as clear as one saved in Computer / AVCHD / MP4-H.264 1920x1080 30.

The YouTube result is about 167Kb, whereas the MP4-H.264 is around 565Kb! The YouTube video takes about 32 minutes to upload to YouTube, the MP4 about one hour and 15 minutes!

Might be a good thing to investigate and post on the Forum.

Rex Havoc

• 17. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Roy,

I was watching on my 17" laptop, on the pool level, but out of sunlight, and I found no visual issues. Maybe someone, who viewed on a 24" monitor, will have other observations.

Everything looked good to me.

Best of luck, and we are so glad to have helped you - that is what turns most of us on.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                            RoysScreenName Level 1

Hope to be making only one more modification - the Sylvester-the-cat sibilants at 3:14. (May possibly shorten the Amplify/NotStereo ads by another second, though may possibly not.)

And that's it.

The numbers on the Takes are deceptive. I save before making major changes, then re-save immediately after making the change. This gives me a fall-back in the event I screw up bigtime. Hence, "Take 200" doesn't mean that I completely revamped the entire video front to back with each take. I might have made five changes in the last reliable take, and so the take numbers will have increased by five.

At any rate, here's Take 200, with most of the Romano/Hunt suggestions implemented. Take 201 will be the last, and not different enough to warrant uploading for further review.

http://youtu.be/MoJ_CYccF_0

Rex Havoc aka Charlie Brighteyes aka Old Spit-For-Brains

• 19. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                              nealeh Level 5

Please do post your kickstarter link when you complete your project.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale
                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 20. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                                RoysScreenName Level 1

You guys at the Forum will be the first to know!

Rex Havoc

• 21. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Roy

If this is something that you have already figured out already or that I have misinterpreted you meaning, then please disregard.

You wrote

PLUS ... I've learned that saving the video in Computer / AVCHD / YouTubeWidescreenHD results in a video that's every bit as clear as one saved in Computer / AVCHD / MP4-H.264 1920x1080 30.

The YouTube result is about 167Kb, whereas the MP4-H.264 is around 565Kb! The YouTube video takes about 32 minutes to upload to YouTube, the MP4 about one hour and 15 minutes!

This is my take on your observations...there are several factors that influence file size, one of them is frame size.

This is my take on your observations. There are several factors that influence file size. One of them is frame size.

So, if you left Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/YouTube Widescreen HD at its Adobe default (1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second), it would be expected that would give a much smaller file size than a 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second going the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 route. And, that difference in file size would translate into differences in upload time.

In my mini test run...I had a 1920 x 1080p30 source media (166 MB, AVCHD.mov) that I exported

Publish+Share/AVCHD/YouTube Widescreen HD at 1280 x 720 @ 24 and also at 29.97 progressive frames per second. In either case, the file size of the resulting AVCHD.mp4 file was 28.2 MB.

Publish+Share/AVCHD/MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 at 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. In this case, the file size of the resulting AVCHD.mp4 file was 113 MB.

I did not take the next step to compare upload to YouTube times.

But lots to be done with export settings under the preset of the Advanced Button, including Bitrate changes for quality versus file size purposes.

For me the undetermined factor that relates to all this is what YouTube is doing to convert your Timeline content to its flv flash video format.

But, if all you are saying as quoted above is that you found a way to upload your Timeline to YouTube faster and still maintain the video audio quality once it is there whatever your choice, that is great.

ATR

• 22. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                                    RoysScreenName Level 1

You guys at the Forum will be the first to know!

Rex Havoc

• 23. Re: Possible to get a critique from the Forum?
                                                      RoysScreenName Level 1

Not sure of the details, but a comparison of the earlier versions with the new ones shows no difference in quality ... at least in my eyes.

Here are the actual specifics of where and what I used in both cases:

1 - Earlier -

Publish+Share

Computer (Export files for viewing on computers)

AVCHD Use for exporting AVCHD

MP4-H264 1920x1080p 30

vs

2 - Current -

Publish+Share

Computer (Export files for viewing on computers)

AVCHD Use for exporting AVCHD

YouTube Widescreen HD

Note that both configurations result in files that end ".mp4" though the size (hence upload time) is quite different from one to the other.

I'll be uploading the video to Kickstarter, where it will be converted to a Flash video ... much as it was converted to Flash at YouTube.

My guess is that the more compact version will be as good at Kickstarter as it is a YouTube.

What's your take?

Rex Havoc