17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 1:56 PM by turnipvideo

Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?

Hateinlife

Whenever I export I get stereo or mono. I don't want either, I have 2 seperate audio tracks, each with different audio. When export mono I get the 2 seperate tracks mixed into one mono. If I export a stereo I get the 2 separtae tracks mixed together into a stereo. Both are wrong for me. Can Premiere do the simplest task of exporting a copy of what is already there? Right now I can't find a way to do this most basic step. Will Premiere always change the file for no reason?

• 1. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
          shooternz Level 6

Maybe you could balance your tracks before exporting.

eg Balance Left to hard Left and Right to hard Right.

That way you get a Stereo Track with discrete audio in each.

What are you trying to do with a video that has 2 x Mono Audio Channels?

• 2. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I am not at all sure that there is a video format that supports that. Does anyone know of one?

Edit: I meant an export format. It is possible that the imported file has two different audio channels.

• 3. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
              shooternz Level 6

I agree.

That why I asked him his intention.

Possible a post prod requirement for an audio session and in that case...other options are available.

• 4. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

What format are you exporting to?

• 5. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could export to Waveform audio and set it to mono.

You will have to do this twice.

Export track 1 while muting track 2 and export track 2 while muting track 1.

• 6. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                    Hateinlife Level 1

I think the question "What are you trying to do with a video that has 2 x Mono Audio Channels"? is a legitimate question. However I don't think it applies here. The real question that needs answering her is how come Adobe Premiere Pro version 6 cannot export an exact copy of a video file. Why do I want to export an exact copy of a video file, keeping both mono audio channels in tact? My reasons are many but inconsequential. I simply want to be able to open a video file that has two indepentant audio channels with two differeent microphones. I need these mics kept separate but even though Premiere brings them in maintaining their separate channels, any export from Premiere mixes them. I didn't ask Premiere to mix them, so why does Premiere think it knows better than me about what I want to do with my media?

I just want to export an exact copy. I don't want to convert it to anything, just copy. If Premiere Pro can't export an exact copy of a file then Adobe needs to remove the "Pro" from Premiere Pro.

• 7. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I just want to export an exact copy. I don't want to convert it to anything, just copy.

That's generally not what Premiere Pro does.  The base assumption with any NLE is that you want to change something.

• 8. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that Ann's way will be your best bet.

As PrPro is a Video editor, and most Video formats work with 2-channel, or a version of 5.1 Audio, I agree with Jim - might be hard to find an NLE that does follow that standard Video model.

One other option would be to Edit in Audition, which WILL allow you output in many more forms.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                          shooternz Level 6

Nothing Pro or otherwise about having two discrete mono audio tracks attached to a digital video stream.

I have never been asked by anyone for this as part of a pro audio video workflow and unless you know differently...what use is it.

I certainly have been asked to supply separate audio tracks Mono and Stereo.

(Mono was part of the Dolby mix process)

Did  you try what I suggested Post #1 ?

BTW - An "exact copy" of what? eg.  A time line or a source file? (ex camera)

• 10. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                            Hateinlife Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Nothing Pro or otherwise about having two discrete mono audio tracks attached to a digital video stream.

I have never been asked by anyone for this as part of a pro audio video workflow and unless you know differently...what use is it.

It's useful to me and how I've been working for the last 13 years.

BTW - An "exact copy" of what? eg.  A time line or a source file? (ex camera)

Source file.

I Double click a file in a bin to open in the Source window. I make an in and an out point in the Source window. I then want to export this piece of the clip in the Source window as an independant clip maintaining the separate audio channels. I've been working like this in Final Cut since version 1.2. File>Export gets it done and it doesn't recompress the clip into something else just copies the piece between in/out points to a hard drive.

If Premiere can't do this please don't write excuses for Adobe.  Just disregard this entire thread and I'll just assume Premier can't do this most basic thing which pretty much seems to be the reality.

Thx anyway

• 11. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                              shooternz Level 6

No ones making excuses!

Its a forum discussion trying to assist you without knowing anything about you, your experience or your intentions inthe process.

Lucky you have FCP for the task you require.

Curious.

What are your source files (camera) and what  file type / codec do you export out of FCP ?

• 12. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                                Hateinlife Level 1

What are your source files (camera) and what  file type / codec do you export out of FCP ?

DV-NTSC

When exporting from FC you get a list to re-compress/change to whatever you want but also a choice that says "source" meaning FC won't change nothing but just makes a copy of the original.

• 13. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps not as simple as with FCP, but one can Mute one Track, then Export the other edited one (in this case), as a PCM/WAV, or format of choice, then repeat, Muting that, and activating the other. Couple of steps, but doable.

Hope that I am not missing what you need, and if so, please disregard the above suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                                    shooternz Level 6

Interesting because I was unaware that DV used mono tracks. 

FCP obviously works around this DV spec and has the ability to treat it as such.

As regards DV video...exporting back a selection should be basically bit for bit in Premiere.

Reason is that Premiere edits DV natively (never creating proxy files in the BG as did FCP)   Reason for source option in FCP was just to point the export at the source file and not the proxy .mov).

Here is the DV audio Specification (Wikipedia)

• Audio sector. The audio sector contains both audio data and auxiliary data (AAUX). DV accommodates two 32-kHz, 12-bit (nonlinear) stereo channels (1 and 2) or one 48-, 44.1-, or 32-kHz, 16-bit stereo channel (1). Sampling of both 32-kHz audio formats or the 48-kHz format can be (and ordinarily is) locked to the horizontal frequency for frame synchronization. The Sony consumer camcorders record only a single PCM 32-kHz, 12-bit stereo channel, which has a high-frequency cutoff below 16 kHz. Unlike Hi8, which provides independent stereo FM and 16-bit PCM (pulse-code modulation) tracks with about the same frequency response, you only can dub background music or narration with a DVCR to the second 32-kHz, 12-bit channel. If you want the full frequency range of a CD-ROM (44.1 kHz, 16-bit), you'll need to use a digital audio editing and mixing system and settle for a single stereo channel.

Did you try my suggestion Post #1?

• 15. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                                      Hateinlife Level 1

Just for anyone who may want to do this, here's the steps for FCP 7 and Premiere Pro CS6.

FCP7:

1. Open clip in viewer.

2. Choose in/out points.

3. File>Export, choose video type, hit OK.

4. Import this file

Premiere CS6:

1. open in source monitor.

2. Set in/out points.

3. Drag from the source monitor to a folder in the project window holding command (Mac) to make a subclip.

4. Name the subclip, hit okay.

5. Create a new sequence same format as clip.

6. Drag the subclip into this new sequence. Make sure this sequence has 2 separate audio tracks that each mono track can occupy .

7. Save - must do this or Premiere won't continue.

8. In File menu click  "Project" > "Project Manager".

9. For "Source" deselect all sequences that show in here except the one you created just for this.

Continuing in Project Manager:

10. Select "Create New Trimmed Project" under "Resulting Project". Check "Exclude Unused Clips", Deselect "Make Offline", Under Options only check "Rename media files to Match Clip Names". Choose a path to copy the file to, click okay.

11. Find the location the new file was saved to and import it into Premiere.

There it is & it retains the two original separate mono tracks. You will have to go back to where the file was saved and delete the new project and project folder that Premiere made when exporting the file.

Premiere is working for me & has saved me from FCP10 but from a FCP 7 standpoint , efficiency is not a part of the program.

• 17. Re: Can Premiere export a duel mono clip?
                                        turnipvideo Level 1

I'm finding similar problems getting Premiere to export the "same" codec and quality as my source (XDCAM) - so far I can get close by letting PP render for roughly 2X the sequence duration.

I frequently record two separate channels (e.g. lav + room ambient) that need to be kept separate for MY customer who will do the final mix.  But triming the clip in PP would appear to be a problem.  Luckily, if a simple trim is all that is needed, Quicktime can do that.