8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2013 1:34 AM by shamarsmom

video help please

shamarsmom

Videos are importing sideways. They  play normal till I want to add them to time line.

• 1. Re: video help please
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please give us more details on the Videos?

Were they shot with, maybe a phone-camera, turned to portrait orientation, or something else?

The more detail, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: video help please
            A.T. Romano Level 7

shamarsmom

I would agree that more details are needed here for us to help you in resolving your issue.

So, please included in the information already requested:

a. Version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system it is running?

b. The properties of source media (video and audio compression, audio channels, frame size, frame rate (interlaced or progressive; variable or constant), file extension for starters). If you do not know, please check out MediaInfo(tree view) for obtaining a properties readout.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

What camera are these source media coming from and what is the camera setting for the recording? Is a cell phone camera involved in this matter?

c. How are you importing your video into Premiere Elements?

d. If you look at your video at its computer hard drive save location, what is its orientation in the thumbnail there, landscape or portrait?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: video help please
              shamarsmom Level 1

TY for responding. 

Was shot with galaxy 2 phone.

They play on computer the right way. But not when I put them into timeline.

Then they go sideways. I have called different techs and no one seems to have an answer. 

Please help if you can.

Thank You Terri

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

• 4. Re: video help please
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Not knowing the program used to play that footage (outside of PrE), I would say that the video player is applying the rotation for display, just as many Still Image viewers read the metadata in a portrait Still Image, and display it rotated 90 degrees. The pixels are not changed, but the display is adjusted.

PrE will look at the pixels, and their arrangement, and display those pixels, and not interpret any display metadata.

In PrE, there is a Fixed Effect>Rotation (in some versions of Premiere, that Effect is under Motion), that will allow you to actually Rotate the Clip, rearranging the pixels. That will get you the proper orientation - but, as Video is rectangular, you will then need to consider how you wish to handle the portrait oriented footage. Several choices there:

1. Leave the black bars on the right and left, and fill the height of the Video Frame, with the height of the footage.
                2. Scale up the portrait footage, so that the width of the portrait footage fills the width of the Video Frame, allowing the Video Frame to effectively "crop" off top & bottom.
                3. Or, do like in #2, but use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position to move that "effective crop," to say only from the top, or only from the bottom, or disporportionally from both.

Personally, when shooting video with a phone, I would just turn the phone's orientation to horizontal, i.e. landscape, so no Scaling and effective cropping is needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: video help please
                  shamarsmom Level 1

I will try everything you have said and I cant thank you enough for helping me.

Your the first person after talking to atleast a dozen techs that knows what your talking about!!!

Again Thank You

Terri

• 6. Re: video help please
                    shamarsmom Level 1

Bill Hunt,

I cant thank You enough for all the help!! Instead of throwing computer and phone out the window, I will be ordering the Photo Shop Elements 11 premiere. Have it on the free trial now while I figure it out and make mistakes.

I hope I can E-Mail you again if I have a question.

Again Thank You for saving my sanity!!!

Terri

• 7. Re: video help please
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Terri

Just a quick note since you mentioned that you are working with the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 and are planning on purchasing it.

If history repeats itself, there should be a new version of Premiere Elements released in September 2013. So, you may want to co-ordinate your purchase plans keeping that thought in mind.

ATR

• 8. Re: video help please
                        shamarsmom Level 1

Thank You for the heads up. I will see what September brings!

Terri