6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2006 2:41 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating

Kevin_Boyd Level 1
      Posted about this issue before but now it really is causing me hassel. It's the fact that I have two main Flash 8 sprites on my stage, one is an animated accordian style menu system which when the user clicks of a menu Director jumps to the relevant frame with both Flash sprites staying on the stage. I have also used, a couple of times, a Flash add banner animation on the main page and found these did not remove themselves from the stage. Answer on here was to do the following when jumping to another frame:

sprite(1).visible=FALSE
      updateStage
      sprite(1).visible=TRUE

Sprite 1 is a large QuickDraw rectangle covering the whole stage.

Problem with this is it's causing the contents of the main area of the screen to flash on and off very quickly. As a lot of the frames jumped too also have QuickTime video playing Direct To Stage you get a multiple flicker as first QT loads, then the background is turned on and off. So I tried to modify the routine to only do this when jumping from a screen that had the flash ad banners on but know when I jump from a page with regular text and bitmap sprites and then the flash menu animates, it's not allowing the screen to update when arriving at the new frame with text and bitmaps on!

This has been a bug for many years in Director and I am really annoyed that MM and now Adobe have never bothered to fix this. I am producing a large corporate catalogue on DVD-ROM and the client has complained about the flashing. So what do I do? Say, "Oh sorry, the guys at MM & Adobe couldn't fix this bug and have left it for years without even bothering, I know they have millions of dollars but they couldn't spare one programmer to fix this one. Yeah I know it says on the box that it works seamlesly with Flash but hey that obviously isn't true!"

Any elgant solutions to this one???

Kevin
        • 1. Re: Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating
          Level 7
          Are you saying:

1. Flash sprites are persisting in a sprite channel after they have been
          removed from that channel?

2. DV sprites are flickering when they begin to play?

3. If you move to a new frame where a Flash sprite exists, that other
          sprites will fail to display?

--
          Rob
          _______
          Rob Dillon
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.ddg-designs.com
          412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
          • 2. Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating
            Kevin_Boyd Level 1
            More point 1& 3 than point 2, the Flash sprites are not removing themselves when I jump to a frame that does not have them on anymore. Then I use the technique of setting sprite 1 invisble then use updatestage and then put sprite 1 visible again and I get a flicker.

But work around I figureds out since my last post is to pause on a blank frame while I do this and then jump to my QT video and that reduces the flicker.

Point is MM and Adobe need to fix this as is a major limitation of using Flash in Director and let's face it, it's one of the few reasons to keep usigg Director the fact it can play back many different medias at once. So let's get one of the major ones, Flash, properly integrated, are you listening Adobe!

Hope you are

Kevin
            • 3. Re: Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating
              Level 7
              > sprite(1).visible=FALSE
              > updateStage
              > sprite(1).visible=TRUE

I don't know who suggested this, but more reliable is setting the
              backgroung color of the stage to itself forcing a complete redraw of the
              entire stage area (although maybe the above does much the same thing):
              the stageColor = the stageColor

As for QT flashing, this too has a simple enough work-around: move the
              sprite offstage for a frame while the QT engine initialises, then move
              it back for display - something like:
              -- behavior attached to QT sprite
              property spriteNum
              property my
              property myLoc
              property _initialised

on beginSprite me
              my = sprite(spriteNum)
              myLoc = my.loc
              my.loc = myLoc + 10000
              _initialised = 0
              end

on exitFrame me
              if _initialised then exit
              _initialised = initialised + 1
              my.loc = myLoc
              end
              • 4. Re: Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating
                Level 7
                Just a little side note here. I recently found that there is a better
                way that using the good old

the stageColor=the stageColor

You see, the stageColor is an indexed color with a value from 0-255 (I
                think). It does not get the full range of RGB colors. I found that
                when I used that statement, my background color often changed slightly
                unless it was on a pure black or white background. A better way is to
                use this command which does the same thing, but keeps the actual color
                intact:

(the stage).bgColor=(the stage).bgColor

since the .bgColor property is a full on color object like
                color(255,255,255).
                • 5. Re: Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating
                  Kevin_Boyd Level 1
                  Thanks for these tips guys. Though surly moving a Direct To Stage sprite off screen and back again would not achieve removal of the flicker as doesn't QuickTime have to cut a whole in the stage to place the video in it hence getting the flicker?
                  • 6. Re: Flash 8 sprites stop the stage updating
                    Level 7
                    > surly moving a Direct To Stage sprite off
                    > screen and back again would not achieve removal of the flicker as doesn't
                    > QuickTime have to cut a whole in the stage to place the video in it hence
                    > getting the flicker?

Try it and see - it's a longtime recommendation for the issue you describe