13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 1:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?

Spiderchops1

I have followed the instructions regarding burning my trial project to DVD but it will not play on my recorder. Both recorder and computer are made by Sony and are under 3 years old. I would like to resolve this issue before buying Elements 11. The video recorder comes up with the message 'No title' when I try to play this DVD. Has anyone had this problem and been able to sort it out?

• 1. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sony disc players are notorious for having problems with home-burned DVDs, Spider.

But, that said, what happens if you select the option to Burn your DVD files to a Folder rather than directly to a disc? Does the program create a VIDEO_TS folder with VOB files in it?

• 2. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
            Spiderchops1 Level 1

Thanks Steve. I will burn to a folder and see what happens. I have had no trouble with windows live moviemaker in burning DVDs that play on my TV recorder but hoped to improve the edit with elements11. It will hopefully become apparent what VIDEO_TS folders with VOB files are in due course! Sadly computers and their related language hit me long after school and there are big gaps in my knowledge!

• 3. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you can output your DVD files to a VIDEO_TS folder on your computer, then the software is working as it should. Although sometimes other software on your computer can keep Premiere Elements from accessing your disc burner.

When this is the case, the easiest solution is to burn the files to a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive and then use a program (like the excellent, free ImgBurn) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a disc.

One of the great things about ImgBurn is that it a) can be set to burn at a slightly slower speed, which can help your burn integrity and b) it can be set to verify the burn after you create your disc, usually guaranteeing that the disc will play on virtually any disc player.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Link to http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

I use Imgburn for ALL of my DVD writing... ISO from Encore as well as general file backups

• 5. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the comments, and instructions offered by both Steve G. and John T., I would also look into the brand of blank media, that you are using. Since not DVD player is certified to play ANY burned DVD (though most do), it is best to use the highest-quality blank media possible. Poor blank media is the main cause for playability issues with a burned DVD-Video.

I recommend Falcon Pro, Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden, and strongly recommend against Memorex, recent TDK, recent Ritek, and any "store brand."

What brand of blank media are you currently using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This article goes into more detail on playability issues: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2760681#2760681

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                      Spiderchops1 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I am using verbatim discs which have worked well to date.

• 9. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless you have a bad Verbatim disc (it has happened, though not often), then that is about "as good, as it gets."

After poor-quality blank media, the next most common cause of a playability issue, is too fast a burn. If you use the suggested steps above, and ImgBurn, one benefit is that you can adjust the speed of the burn. PrE will work with the speed of your media, and the speed of your burner, and go for the fastest possible speed of burn. By going slower, with high-quality media, you eliminate the two biggest causes for playability issues.

Last, as no DVD player is certified to play ANY burned DVD-Video, you also might just have a player, that cannot handle a burned disc. There might be a firmware update for your player, that would make it more adaptable to burned media, if that is the cause, or there might not be. Some just will not play any burned media, even if well-done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Spiderchops1

I would like to back up to ask some questions.

Given that you are using the Premiere Elements 11 tryout and have done a burn to disc DVD either DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen.

a. When have your Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in hand and you place that disc in the computer DVD burner tray, what do you find on the disc when you explore it by right clicking its drive and selecting Open? Do you see two folders, one named OpenDVD and the other named VIDEO_TS?

b. When you are in Premiere Elements burn to disc DVD area, does the burner location correctly identify the burner that you are using? And, after you click Burn, does the burn to disc conclude telling you that the process has succeeded?

c. What computer players do you have that support DVD-VIDEO? Do any of them playback this disc when you insert the disc in the burner tray?

d. You focus seems to be on Sony computer and recorder. Are they one build or are they standalones? Are you referring to something like a Sony Vaio laptop with a build in DVD Player/Recorder?

The other side of all this is what you have been driving at...can you produce that VIDEO_TS Folder using Premiere Elements burn to folder (4.7 GB).

Putting that all together should help defining the issue and resolving it or working around it if forced to.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                            Spiderchops1 Level 1

Many thanks. I am going to download Imgburn (with appropriate donation). The response to my question has been just what I wanted. I expect another question will arise in due course!

• 12. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                              Spiderchops1 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks and in response:

a.I downloaded the Premiere Elements 11 from the internet and do not have a hard copy.

b. My computer has only one burner which also plays. The computer program does say that the burn was successful, which it was.

c. Sony Vario PC and HP laptop (AD 2000) windows7 and xp respectively. They both play it back perfectly.

d. They are stand alones. Sony vario pc and sony HD/DVD video recorder/player.

Many thanks for your input. I now need to find the time to act on the response generally (for which I am extemely grateful). Video_TS seems to be a common theme.

Cheers, Spiderchops1

• 13. Re: Why won't my DVD made using Elements11 trial work in my TV recorder?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Spiderchops1

It appears that you are working on getting a VIDEO_TS Folder from your Premiere Elements burn to folder and trying to get that on a DVD in DVD-VIDEO format so that you can find a player for it. So, I will not distract you from that. Since you will be using the ImgBurn as part of that task, the following link will probably be helpful in working through the ImgBurn part of that workflow.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

After you have finished that, please reflect on the answers to the questions that I asked.

a. I am not referring to an Premiere Elements installation disc here. Here I am referring to the DVD disc that you put in your DVD burner tray for use in the preparation of Premiere Elements burn to disc. This is the disc that I am understanding does not play back on your players. So, I want to determine if what is on that disc has the files and folders of the DVD-VIDEO format that is "supposed" to be on that disc....looking for OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. That VIDEO_TS Folder is our target. That is the key to the DVD-VIDEO structure. Whether or not you have it on that disc coming from the Premiere Elements burn to disc is critical to the troubleshooting.

c. What does the progress bar of Premiere Elements say at the end of the burn to process...success or complete or nothing..the burn tray just pops open with no error message under the progress bar?

More later as we now await your results from burn to folder.

Thanks.

ATR