6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 9:23 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?

DoubleM100xxx

Re Indesign CS6. Yesterday after exporting an almost 200page file to PDF I went back to my ID file to make further type corrections. I got to a page where a placed graphic had been and noticed it was missing. I replaced it and then began to notice to entire pages were blank as I scrolled down through my document. I noticed the master pages were no longer applied to these pages so I tried to reapply and them and also to rleink text onto the blank pages. As I tried this the mps would not apply and also the text could not be pasted onto the pages, I got a warning saying the Bounding Box could be found (or something). I am perplexed and disheartened. Ths is the second ID file that has ended up in ruin on my computer (MAC). I had also gotten an SSL Certificate Expiration notice. I made an update to ID and reopened the file. The file is still damaged and un workable. I guess I will spend the day rebuilding it. I wish I knew what was causing the problem so I could avoid it in the future. I feel like ID has gone form very stable to completely unreliable. I pay my CC subscription but I wonder if because I am working on my laptop away from home, IN CANADA that somehow my license got screwed up which affected my doc. Is that possible?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The certificate warning was due to an oversight at Adobe that they forgot to renew the certificate for the site that collects the data for the product improvement program, which was corrected today. This would have no bearing on your other problems, unfortunately.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?
            DoubleM100xxx Level 1

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 8.15.38 AM.png

Thanks Peter, I suspected that after reading a few of your comments last night and this morning.

Any thoughts on the rest of it? I noticed when I was applying Master pages earlier in the day I was getting a warning about the master pages being different sizes which was odd. Eventually, as I noted above whole pages of content dissappeared. I have been trying all morning to reapply the master pages and just can't. I even duplicated a few and tried to apply them and nothing. This is the second file that has crapped out on me in a few months. I need ID to be stable. I can't have files becoming useless after hours and days of work. BTW, I am attaching a photo of what one of the affected pages looks like. Notice the giant pasteboard?

Message was edited by: DoubleM100xxx

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?

I'd need to look at the actual file to do any real diagnosis. I'll send you an upload link if you like, but I'm going out for a few hours and won't be able to look until this evening (lunchtime here now).

Have you used the page tool at all?

Clearly there's something whacky going on. An export to .idml might help, though it's not guaranteed. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

And doing things like showing text threads and viewing the story in story editor can help.

Actually, I just realized I've seen something very similar to this quite recently, and I think the giant pasteboard is a clue. The "missing" text frames had been converted to astronomically large one-dimensional objects out on the pasteboard. In that case I was able to "fix" the file by deleting the "blank" pages and adding new ones to replace them, then rethreading the text. You might want to try that. Please, though, save a copy of the file as it is, and submit a bug report at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form and be sure to include that you have a sample file to share.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?
                DoubleM100xxx Level 1

Hi Peter

Have sent you the file.

I have not used the page tool, will look into that.

I tried doing the .idml thing but to no avail.

Will look at the text threads as well. Ooof. What a time suck this all is.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?

I'm not advocating the use of the page tool here, just checking to see if it might have been the source of the differnt page size warnings.

I'm going to take a fast look now as my appointment got shifted to 12:30 giving me a half-hour to play...

• 6. Re: InDesign CS6, SSL Certificate, Master pages failing, lost content. Why?

It does look like a similar problem, or even the same. If you do a select all on the "blank" pages you'll see there is seomthing listed in the control panel with coordinates and dimensions using exponential notation. You can't see these objects because they are huge and the bounding box is outside the pasteboard. The good news is you can press Cmd + Y with those huge frames selected  to open in story editor where you can select the text and copy to the clipboard so you don't lose it when you delete the pages.

I was able to delete the first set of 6 missing pages, add 6 new ones to replace them, and paste the copied text back in, so I think the file is savable. I would export to .idml after you've done that for all the blank sections if you decide to go that route.

That said, I see the file crashed a couple of times last June and there may be other damage. I'd personally feel safer working on a new file, so I'd recreate a new file with master pages, then export each chapter story to InDesign Tagged Text and place them into the new file, then proceed from there. Less possibility of something new cropping up later that maybe can't be fixed.

1 person found this helpful